Profile for wayne > Reviews

Marvel's Avengers Assemble [DVD]
Marvel's Avengers Assemble [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply...amazing!, 25 Sep 2012
Imagine a sequal to Captain America, Thor or even a third Iron Man, throw in The Hulk, (some genius had a brilliant idea throwing them all together) add some serious banging action sequences and a dash of breath taking special effects, simmer for a couple of hours and you have one of the best "super heroe" action movies you're ever likely to see. While it's a long way from Christoper Nolans "Dark Knight" trilogy I loved everything about Avengers Assemble...apart from the cheesy performance from Samuel L Jackson... which i found a tad cringeworthy, or maybe that was me.
There are some truly fantastic scenes peppered throughtout its running time, which could have been trimmed by at least half an hour, things like the attack on New York City...or The Hulk trying to lift Thor's hammer and numerous others to mention, it's the most fun I've had all year!
So I simply can't understand all the negative commentts and one star ratings listed here.
My advice? Ignore them, grab a copy and be prepared to be blown away :)

Halloween: Uncut (Director's Cut Edition) [DVD]
Halloween: Uncut (Director's Cut Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Malcolm Mcdowell

3.0 out of 5 stars He's back!, 11 Sep 2012
I must admit on first viewing this I was somewhat dissapointed for three reasons, for me the main reason was the overlong beginning leading to why Michael became the way he ended up, and the second reason was the actual plot of the film. While retaining some aspects of John Carpenters original it seemed to be all over the place... and the third reason is the long drawn out ending.
On the plus side though, and after a repeat viewing it is a very worthy remake and certainly had me on the edge of my seat... but as a horror movie I just didn't find it scary, where as JC's original still has the power to give me the creeps mainly due to the camera shots and use of daylight that added to the atmosphere. Zombies vision, to me, smacked of desperation and was excessively violent which I thought was out of place.
But, on the whole it is a good movie ...just not as great as you might hope it to be.

Halloween [Blu-ray] [1978]
Halloween [Blu-ray] [1978]
Dvd ~ Donald Pleasence

5.0 out of 5 stars trick ...or treat?, 10 Sep 2012
Having already got a copy of this film on DVD I came across a "bargain" copy on the Blue-ray....it having subtitles being my decision to buy it. On watching the film later that night I was blown away by three things:
1- The sound quality is superb which makes John Carpenters creepy score more effective
2- The picture quality was crisp and clear ... even down to the shadows in the background that added to the whole sense of fear
3- Having subtitles on the Blue-ray meant you could pick up every low voice, every eerie breath and the subtle ambient sounds ie, leaves rustling, clocks ticking.
I have seen the film many, many times but never to this very high standard which, in my opinion is one of the scariest films ever made.
If you can get a copy on Blue-ray i highly reccomend you do so to truly experience the way this film was meant to be seen.

Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings [DVD]
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jenny Pudavick

4.0 out of 5 stars one sick puppy.., 4 Sep 2012
As someone mentioned here about being sceptical about this 4th instalment as the 3rd was a let down I am also pleased to report that this is back in full throttle....The usual silly antics of the would be victims, the horrific inbred cannibals, and the infamous blood and gore is splashed about abundently.
It's a good idea storywise as we get to learn how "One-eye", "Sawtooth" and "Threefinger" came to being within the first (and best) film... But that's where the similarities end. The plot is a joke, whether you want to take it that way depends where your tongue is at the time. Keep it firmly in cheek and you'll forgive this.
The death scenes? Well even as a a hard core horror addict myself I was pretty sickened by what I saw. Yes it might be a little OTT for some tastes (as was Wrong Turn 2) but that is what makes these films ... I can honestly say one death scene, without going into too much detail, as put me off "Liver and Onions" for quite a while...lol
So, all in all, a big leap forward from Part3 and while still rather silly in places if this is the sort of thing that gets your goat then I thoroughly reccomend it :)

Drive [DVD]
Drive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars See it... Be amazed...Watch it again!, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Drive [DVD] (DVD)
In a nutshell....THE BEST film of last year and rightly so. I was so gobsmacked after having seen it the first time I sat and watched it again!
The whole thing is a masterpiece of movie making, the script crackles along with dry humour, the direction is flawless, the acting spot on and Ryan Gosling is simply amazing...cool as a cucumber and chilling with it, adding to the fact that he doesn't have a name it kind of reminds me of the old Clint Eastwood westerns.
The violence might be OTT for some people so be warned if this isn't your thing...I was shocked by how brutal it is but I was prepared for it but it doesn't make it any easier to see it. It adds to the whole brilliance of the movie... and the ending had me on the so far on the edge of my seat I almost fell off!
So, if it's a cracking, blood soaked, stunningly acted film that you're after...GO AND BUY IT!!!!

War Horse [DVD] [2011]
War Horse [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Irvine
Offered by EagleDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Horse..um!!!, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: War Horse [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Just been to see this film with some friends and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. From the opening shots of rural Devon and the English countryside, the stunning battle sequences, (the charge through the camp sequence is truly stunning!) and the wonderful heart warming scenes peppered throughout this film IS the film of 2012.
Steven Spielberg captures every scene between the boy and his horse beautifully and indeed the horse itself is a truly magnificent creature. If an animal were ever offered an oscar nomimation Joey the horse would certainly be up for it.
Steven once again captures the horrors of war brilliantly once again but doesn't take it to extremes thus losing the focus on the real story which is of course the horse.
I can honestly say I have never been so moved by a movie of this caliber for a very long time. Might want to pack some Kleenex though!
A five star treat!!

Shark Night [DVD]
Shark Night [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sara Paxton
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother!, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shark Night [DVD] (DVD)
Wow! I'm so glad i wasted 78 mins of my life watching this garbage. Quite possibly THE worst film I have ever seen. Really.
The plot, directing and acting are all terrible, and the charcters...I mean seriously!! You've just had your arm bitten off by a shark, your losing blood by the gallon and no doubt will pass out with shock at any moment. So what do you do? Grab yourself a spear and go and kill the shark that bit you?! Please!!
I really can't be bothered saying anything else about this waste of time.

Hostel: Part III [DVD] [2011]
Hostel: Part III [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Thomas Kretschmann

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not THAT bad!!, 25 Jan 2012
Don't believe the bad reviews here because honestly it's not that bad. In fact I enjoyed it better than part 2. It certainly is daft in places and some of the torture scenes are a little OTT, one in particular though will churn your stomach though so be warned!
The thing I liked about this film is the fact you never really know who's who...or who to trust, take for instance those two girls at the beginning, and just when you think you've worked out who will survive to escape the rug is pulled out from under you...and then there is that ending which obviously sets the scene for more to come.
If you liked the first two films then see this by all means, just don't expect it to be as good as the first.

Troll Hunter [DVD]
Troll Hunter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Knut Nærum

3.0 out of 5 stars rent it first!, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Troll Hunter [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen the trailers for this, and knowing it was in Norwegian I decided to go and buy it anyway, well, before Hollywood makes a mess of the remake like they always do.
Anyway, to be fair it's not a bad film and to be honest the "Trolls" are very impressive, just one thing puzzled me. How is it a 200 foot Troll (or any of the other Trolls) haven't been spotted or even witnessed rampaging across the Norwegian countryside by anyone else? Surely creatures of that size would have a much bigger impact? I'm sure it was pointed out somewhere along the way but I must have missed it.
Another good thing I must point out is it's actually quite funny in places, whether intentional or not and very dark and tense in others.
All in all then, a good enough film. Just switch your brain off for 90 mins or so and be entertained by something different...just rent it first!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2012 10:27 AM GMT

Dexter - Season 4 [DVD]
Dexter - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars He's back!, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: Dexter - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Omg! Cant this show get any better? Usually by now TV shows at this stage begin to run out of steam, as pointed out with S3 and in my opinion that season had a sort of laid back, lighter approach. Not a bad thing but compared with the previous two you'll see what I mean.
Anyway, back to topic and boy!...The show is back on form, this is darker, grittier and, although I'm only a few episodes in, full of shocks and cliffhangers which will take your breath away. It gets to the point where you just simply want to go straight to the next episode to find out what happened next.
And John Lithgow? Now that is one scary character he plays, he really gets under the skin by with his charming creepiness, and one scene in particular gave me goosebumps...Sorry, you'll have find out for yourself!
A fantastic "slice" of TV :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5