Profile for ashwinder > Reviews

X&Y
X&Y
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really special..., 27 Jun. 2005
This review is from: X&Y (Audio CD)
As many reviewers have so far said this is an album which is expected to be met with mixed feelings. Indeed I've heard Coldplay being described as 'boring' and 'monotonous' and sometimes I can almost understand where they're coming from... almost!
'X & Y' like all of Coldplay's albums so far is not easy-listening despite what some might say, this is not a CD that you'll pop on and love just like that. It takes time to really appreciate what all the fuss is about, and you might ask why spend time trying to like a CD. Surely that goes against the very concept of what music should be? Well all I'll say is once you do manage to really 'listen' the rewards are well worth the effort, this is a truely fantastic album, it really is.
For one the layering of music is sublime, the way in which the songs build and grow to a sort of ecstasy of sound is gorgeous. Also Coldplay are not (as many describe them) your run of the mill whiney 'indie' band, they really do clever original things with their music rather than rehashing the same chords over and over. For example in the 2nd song on the album (the fantastic 'What If') what could be a repetetive forgettable rhyme; 'put right what I got wrong/ Or make you feel I belong' becomes something really special merely by making the second ryhme drop down a few notes. This use of clever and beautiful note modulation is far better heard than described but it is just one thing which makes the songs on 'X & Y' so good. Also say what you will but nobody does a great swooping chorus like Coldplay, if they don't lift you then nothing will.
In many respects the (well deserved) credit Coldplay have received for their music has perhaps worked againts their street cred: It's now only too easy for the reverse music snobs out there to label the music as overpublicised rubbish. All I'll say is music which becomes popular may be so popular because it's good, maybe!
Go on, give Coldplay a chance this is a fantastic album, love it hate it but listen to it first.

Joan Of Arc - The Messenger [DVD] [2000]
Joan Of Arc - The Messenger [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like marmite..., 13 Feb. 2005
You'll either love it or you'll hate it. I myself thought this film was fantastic, I disagree with all those who say that Mila Jovovich was flat, I thought she was marvellous showing the perfect combination of desperation verging on insanity, egoism, and yet a deep childlike innocence and naivety. The cinematography is gorgeous with some really clever camera angles, and her visions are expressed in quite a sombre and disturbing manner. But it is Hoffman who really steals the show as Joan's anonymous cloaked hallucination who arrives near the end only to destroy all her beliefs in front of her eyes... harrowing stuff.

Rumo (Zamonia 2)
Rumo (Zamonia 2)
by Walter Moers

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic by the demented author of Captain Bluebear!, 17 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Rumo (Zamonia 2) (Hardcover)
If you haven't read Captain Bluebear yet, why ever not?! It's hard to know whether to describe Rumo as a sequel to Bluebear, or merely another chapter in the history of Zamonia. Like Bluebear and also Wild Ride Through The Night, Rumo is full to bursting with bizarre places and wonderful characters, just as a taster here are a few I've come across; a threesome of prophesising ugglies, a psychic ventriloquist oak tree, a schizophrenic sword/cheese knife, and a lake of oil inhabited by half-dead yetis...
Just like Bluebear, Rumo is full of wonderful drawings by the author, illustrating the odd fauna of Zamonia, and giving the book a real sense of character.
Captain Bluebear was divided into 14 chapters (Or 13 1/2 to be precise) each representing a life experience. Whereas In Rumo, this sequence is used again but the book can be divided into two main sections; upperworld and netherworld, each boasting an equal number of insane happenings.
Enjoy it while it lasts you lucky people!

The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear
The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear
by John Brownjohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Very mad and very good., 17 Dec. 2004
This is perhaps the most insane book you are ever likely to read, (Ignoring such literary oddities as 'Finigan's Wake' and a few Angela Carter stories!) the story shifts from the odd, to the surreal and to the purely demented. But all the time the author is reassuringly down to earth and pragmatic; of course there's a city of elderly people inside a tornado, a desert made of sugar... what could be more normal, an edible carnivorous island, what's strange about that?! The narrator conducts what may appear to be sheer lunacy with an eye for detail and total understanding of what's going on: What may seem the most illogical situation is explained with such scientific precision that you can't help but accept it.
I envy those of you who are yet to read this little book of treasures, at the best you'll be dazzled, at the worst you'll be mildly perplexed.
Here's hoping for the next 13 1/2 lives!

Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Like being stuck on an island with 13 very strange people..., 3 Jan. 2004
When you first arrive on that strange land that is 'Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia' you realize straight away this is definitely not what you saw in the travel brochure. Perhaps you've already met 'Bohemian Like You' prancing around on the Vodaphone adverts (that's how he and I were first aquanted anyway!) or maybe bumped into 'Get Off' once or twice. But when you arrive instead of 11 clones of these two rather nice bouncy people you are met by a very different troupe.
After a few weeks you'll work up the courage to get to know one or two of these strange lot. Firstly there's 'sleep' (who once you get past that bone aching slowness is a nice enough chap!) and 'Horse pills' (She's a bit big mouthed and cynical for me but still quite good fun.)
After a few more weeks pass and there's no sign of anyone else you begin to go back and start a conversation with a few more of your fellow castaways. 'Mohammed' tempts you over and you realize that behind her bizarre speech impediment (I advise fast forwarding through the intro!) she's just as chatty and lively as the others. Also after an hour watching 'Godless' chatting to the others you work up the courage (Well he is the first track on the album that does give him a certain amount of status!) to go over and see what he's like. It turns out he's actually one of the nicest people you've met so far. But the biggest surprise for me at least was the discovery of 'Big Indian' she's the quiet one who you always skip over to find one of the more easily accessible tracks. But after you speak to her you can't believe you overlooked her the first time, she may not be loud and bubbly but her message is so heartfelt that it makes you want to cry out loud.
Well that's the best I can do, I'm still stranded on this crazy island, and what a joy it's been. Like all communities there are some people you'll never get on with, I mean I must admit to avoiding 'Cool Scene' like the plague, and I've had a few arguments with 'The Gospel' which haven't yet been settled. But with time I know I'll be able to embrace all of this loony gang.

Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials)
Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials)
by Philip Pullman

4.0 out of 5 stars I dont know where I stand..., 9 Nov. 2003
The story in Lyra's Oxford (Lyra and the birds) is short, sweet and nice while it lasts but has the feeling of only being the introductory chapter to something much bigger. The ending leaves you with a few tantalising hints to his next work, and in a way a sort of hollow empty feeling. It's like Pullman is purposefuly teasing us, it's almost cruel if your a big fan like I am! So I don't know what to think... the illustrations are nice, as are the extra bits of information. But still is that all we've been waiting for?

Predator's Gold
Predator's Gold
by Philip Reeve

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant sequel but suffering from the same flaws..., 28 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Predator's Gold (Hardcover)
I read Mortal engines a good two years ago and loved it to pieces the ideas were original and all on a stunningly epic scale. To be picky the characters suffered a little, dwarfed by the imensity of their surroundings they often felt like little gears; just there to push the plot onwards. Predators Gold is a marvelous sequel but it to doesn't pay quite enough attention to characterisation, true Hester (one of the major characters) does exspress some true insight but Tom our lead man suffers from a frustrating degree of shalowness. In comparrison Predator's Gold is a far better book: the characters are more realised but the main attraction to Reeve's creation has and always will be the grand ideas not the little people in the background.

A Wild Ride Through the Night
A Wild Ride Through the Night
by Walter Moers

5.0 out of 5 stars As intriguing as blue bear but with twice the pace..., 3 Jun. 2003
Last year I picked up a rather strange looking book from my local bookshop. "the 13 1/2 lives of captain bluebear" Fascinated by the illustrations and bizzare blurb I took a leap of faith and bought it. And brilliant it was too! after I had finished (and at the pace I was reading it, I only took 2 days.) I craved more. I searched high and low and found that walter moers is quite an illusive author. So when browsing the bookshelves looking for a new fix (sorry major book junkie speaking here!) I come across a new book by this mystic German author, yet again intrigued I forced my friend to buy it for my birthday on the spot! And yet again I was not dissapointed; siamese twin tornadoes, scientific giants, death and his sister are only a few of the things in store for you, coupled with Dore's fantastical illustrations make for a wonderful read. Short and snappy yet compulsive and imaginative 'A Wild ride through the night' is absolutley brill!

The Kin
The Kin
by Peter Dickinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tale, 11 Mar. 2003
This review is from: The Kin (Hardcover)
I was bought this book by a friend over three years ago, I'm afraid it managed to slip my notice untill I re-discovered it only last year. And what a discovery! 'The Kin' is a mastery of childrens fiction it tells the tale of an ancient prehistoric tribe of people who after an attack have to leave to find a new place to live. Between every few chapters a short myth based around this tribes beliefs works to break up the story. It is shocking how real a piece of fiction can be and yet retain a touch of magic.
A must read for young and old alike!

Titus Alone (Modern Classics)
Titus Alone (Modern Classics)
by Mervyn Peake

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 11 Mar. 2003
Titus Groan, and Gormenghast are possibly two of the best written books I've ever read. Titus Alone is quite a different story. Firstly the tone has changed, Peake's descriptive and often surreal writing style seems to have let him down this time. most of the text seems inane and extremely confusing and I must admit more than once I found my mind wondering from the page in front of me. A very dissapointing end to the trilogy, it would probably be best to miss it out all together.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2011 10:03 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2