Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook
The Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook
by Lynn Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Your Bookshelf, 14 Mar 2013
As a member of the Clandestine Cake Club I was so excited to hear there was going to be a book published. I also am a joint organiser of one of the groups in Yorkshire. I couldn't wait for my copy to arrive and I wasn't disappointed.

The book itself is an absolute joy to look at, a gorgeous retro pastel colour scheme and also has a pretty typeface. There is something for everyone in the Clandestine Cake Club book, whether you like fruit cakes, zesty lemon cakes or more unusual flavours. There are traditional favourites and modern classics to choose from. Each recipe comes with an accompanying picture, most of which are side by side to the recipe itself or overleaf. The recipes themselves are clear and easy to follow.

So far I have baked about five of the recipes from the book- the Lemony Lemonade cake was a great favourite for my kids to decorate. As well as that I have enjoyed making the raspberry yoghurt bundt, the lemon poppyseed cake and also the moreish Overnight Tea Loaf. My family also loved the Featherlight Sponge cake on Mother's Day. I am hoping to bake each and every one of these delicious cakes.

If you are a baking beginner or more experienced then this book is perfect for you. I am a fairly experienced baker but the Clandestine Cake Club book is perfect for all bakers. Every recipe is achievable and does not require a lengthy list of unusual ingredients that you have to buy from a fancy shop.

I would recommend this book as a perfect gift for Easter if you don't want to give a chocolate egg or for a Spring birthday coming up.

Cupcakes & Muffins: Quick & Easy, Proven Recipes
Cupcakes & Muffins: Quick & Easy, Proven Recipes
by Ann Nicol
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is fabulous, go and buy it NOW!, 24 Feb 2011
I've just got my own copy of this book and I would like to say it is one of the best cupcake books out there on the market. Too often I buy books which just sit there gathering dust but this one is fabulous. The cupcake recipes are easy to use, no really tedious, fiddly decorations and are made with everyday ingredients you can find in a supermarket, not an expensive specialist cake decorating shop. There are brilliant ideas for every occasion and seasonal things for throughout the year, I particularly like the look of the Hogmananay cupcakes complete with sugarpaste thistle and the gorgeous Christmassy ones. I recommend anyone who bakes cupcakes to get this one to add to your collection! Buy it now!

The Great British Book of Baking: 120 best-loved recipes from teatime treats to pies and pasties
by Linda Collister

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my baking "Bible"!, 21 Jan 2011
I love this book, it has turned into my Baking Bible. I have set myself a challenge to cook every single recipe in the book over the course of a year. I have cooked 35 out of the 120 recipes so far and I can recommend this as THE book to buy if you are a newcomer to baking. I had never made my own pastry before, due to a lack of confidence and relied on Jus-rol! Now I have mastered shortcrust and puff pastry which the book explains easily. My only quibble is that although there are some of the contestant's recipes from the GBBO series in the book, there were also some other recipes that were on the programme that haven't been included. I think you could print them off the internet at the time but it would have been lovely to have had them in the book. However, this does not spoil the book and I know this is going to be well used for many occasion in years to come.

Dress Your Gingerbread: Bake them! Dress them! Eat them!
Dress Your Gingerbread: Bake them! Dress them! Eat them!
by Joanna Farrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of brilliant inspiration., 21 Jan 2011
I bought this book to give me some more ideas when decorating gingerbread biscuits. This book has some fabulous ideas to turn a basic gingerbread person into all different characters. I can recommend it to other keen bakers!

Bake me I'm Yours... Cupcake Love
Bake me I'm Yours... Cupcake Love
by Zoe Clark
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint!, 21 Jan 2011
I got this book as a Christmas present and was overjoyed as I have the other books in the Bake Me, I'm Yours Series. As with the others it does not disappoint, the projects in the book are suitable for all levels of ability and are all different. There is something for everyone, whether you are a beginner or an experienced cupcake maker. I had never heard of Zoe Clark before but I recommend you buy this and her other book "Cake Decorating At Home".

Cath Kidston Cup Cake Kit
Cath Kidston Cup Cake Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced for what they are!, 21 Jan 2011
I love baking cupcakes and I love Cath Kidston's designs but I was disappointed with these. I agree with the other reviewers that they are more flimsy than other cupcake cases on the market. I would not bother buying these but go and buy spotty or star patterned cases from somewhere else much cheaper instead. This is far too expensive and all you are doing is paying for the Cath Kidston brand.

Cake Chic
Cake Chic
by Peggy Porschen
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Cake Chic- true to its name!, 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Cake Chic (Hardcover)
I was delighted when this book was published. As a keen cookie and cupcake maker I often use Peggy Porschen's ideas for my own creations. Although I wish that sometimes my results turn out as perfect as hers!!! I thought the ideas conjured up in this book are stylish and pretty, ideal for presents or for those who just love baking. I wouldn't recommend this book for a beginner but for someone who is more confident with icing techniques. I was pleased to see that the instructions for each project were more detailed than those from the last two books (I found them quite tricky to follow). I also liked the book visually, stunning photography with lovely colour schemes that has been well put together. I'm already looking forward to the next book!

Jamie's America
Jamie's America
by Jamie Oliver
Price: 17.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Real American Food, 8 Sep 2009
This review is from: Jamie's America (Hardcover)
At last a book which shows that American food is not all hamburgers and cheesecake (although very delicious recipes for these are included in this book!) Jamie Oliver shows that there are lots of diverse aspects to American cuisine with mixing unusual recipes with much-loved favourites. Jamie visits a few different areas of America including Georgia and Arizona as well as New York City. As with Jamie's other books I can see that this book will be well thumbed and spattered with food in years to come. I can thoroughly recommend this book to other readers.

Wife in the North
Wife in the North
by Judith O'Reilly
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars It does get better- stick with it!, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the fact that I am a mother of a similar age living in a rural area. At first I couldn't get into it and had to keep re-reading and going back to find out where I started. I did enjoy the book from a bloggers perspective, although I did feel that Ms O'Reilly was so negative about the whole idea of living in Northumberland and her constant moaning about how wonderful London was. Once I got into the book, I warmed to it and hope that there will be more of the same in the future.

Mummy Said the F-word
Mummy Said the F-word
by Fiona Gibson
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Read!, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Mummy Said the F-word (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this book, the first Fiona Gibson book I have read! I couldn't put it down. I must admit I was first drawn to the book by the title and it amused my own two children who saw and read the title when they saw the book by my bed! It became quite a joke in our house as we have "the b word" that accidentally gets used! In fact as other readers have identified, both my husband and I were mortified when my son swore at school and got into trouble (using the "b" word that ends in oks!) All this aside, I really loved the character of Cait and her children and was so glad that the story had a happy ending for her after all that she had been through. I also felt glad that these so called child experts get a show-down for criticising parents and how they bring up their children without having any children themselves (Ms Pike!)This tale was so funny, I laughed out loud and cringed along with the characters,there were so many incidents that I can totally relate to! I am looking forward to reading other books by Fiona Gibson.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5