Profile for RMN > Reviews

Content by RMN

RMN

Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars As near to perfection as you can get (especially if you buy the earlier version as well!), 17 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Damage (Audio CD)
This is an exceptional CD, and whether you buy this version produced by David Sylvian or the earlier Fripp/Bottrill production ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damage-David-Sylvian-Robert-Fripp/dp/B000008NHL/ref=sr_1_50?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1444776025&sr=1-50&keywords=fripp+robert which will cost you more, but has the excellent Darshan on it and if you can get it for a reasonable price - there are some ridiculous prices out there! - is worth every pound!) and if you have an affection for the music of either or both David Sylvian or Robert Fripp I very much doubt you will be disappointed. It is an incredible live performance by every member of the band, is more compelling than The First Day from which a number of tracks come, is full of emotional and spiritual power and that timelessness which both of the 'headline' artists possess in their art, and both versions (although not everone agrees!) capture it brilliantly. I'd get both, but as an introduction this one is generally cheaper and so a good place to start! 5 stars simply isn't enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth paying a sensible price for!, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Damage (Audio CD)
If you can get this for somewhere in the region of £10, as I have just done (apart from not having the pleasure of removing the plastic wrapping from a brand new copy, I've got the exactly same thing!) and you have an affection for the music of either or both Robert Fripp and David Sylvian, buy it without hesitation! You might be happy to pay a bit more! It is a remarkable CD. Whilst it has a number of tracks from The First Day I do prefer it to The First Day, somehow it seems to benefit from being live and more sparse (although I'd still get The First Day CD if just for Robert Fripp's Bringing Down The Light, which was missing from the original cassette version I've had for years!) Some people have described this original production by Fripp/Bottrill as being colder/more alienated than Sylvian's later remix. I like both, and unlike another reviewer I think the version of Darshan on this CD is worth buying it for alone, but far from the only exceptional track, in fact this is an exceptional band and an exceptional live performance throughout. Well, its certainly doing me good listening to it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2015 10:10 PM BST

YES-MAGNIFICATION
YES-MAGNIFICATION
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop listening to this!, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: YES-MAGNIFICATION (Audio CD)
I think this is one of the absolute highlights of Yes' music, having the spirit if not all the invention of the 1970's classics, the spirit which went missing from the late 1970's and is wholly absent now.
It took me a good few listens to properly tune in to it, but I think it is worth the effort.

Magnification/Talk
Magnification/Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Magnification/Talk (Audio CD)
If you don't mind not having the original covers this is a good value CD. For me, Magnification is the best thing by Yes since Going for the One. Although it is completely different than earlier recordings it has the same spirit, which I think has often been missing in between times, however good the playing. Four of the 5 mainstays of the 1970s are present, with the orchestral writer and arrangers contributing a lot, in place of Rick on the keyboards. I think it works brilliantly, although Steve Howe does not feature as prominently as he should. I bought the Yes Symphonic DVD after this, which includes three of these tracks and some remarkable versions of earlier ones.
Talk was a bonus for me, I like the long track, 'endless dream' and 'where will you be', but it is Magnification that gives this CD its stars!

Fanfare
Fanfare

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth seeing live, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Fanfare (Audio CD)
As lots of people have said why they think this record is so good, I'll just say that I think it is brilliant, so much to listen to and enjoy time and time again. I saw him and his band live in Norwich last Monday. If you missed them this time round, I'd highly recommend getting a ticket when they visit again. Just brilliant!

Gentle Spirit
Gentle Spirit
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Headline and 20 words required, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Gentle Spirit (Audio CD)
All I want to do is give this magical record 5 stars. Saw Jonathan Wilson in Norwich last Monday, and he and his band are excellent. That's it, can I go now?