Profile for Martin Kitson > Reviews

Content by Martin Kitson

Martin Kitson (Co. Durham, England)

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
by Richard Roll

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting life story, but...., 10 Jun. 2012
I found this tale of descent into alcoholism and how the mind of the alcoholic works fascinating. Equally, the battle against his demons and adoption of a Vegan diet and Ultra sports is enlightening. He almost appears to swapping an addition to alcohol for an addiction to endorphine and with impressive results on his physique and his life. However, although I do not doubt that a plant based diet is healthy the pseudoscience put forward towards the end of the book spoils it somewhat.

On balance though, still a good read.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 5 April 2007
I don't often bother to write reviews but having tested Lightroom for a couple of weeks I feel compelled to. Having filled up my hard drive with over 16,000 photos it was clearly time to grasp the digital asset management (DAM)nettle. I bought Peter Kroghs DAM book and tested iView media pro but it was too fiddly doing the workarounds to get the work done in Adobe Bridge to be of use in iView.

Lightroom has come along at just the right time for me. Nearly all the things I wanted are covered and with style. Import from card and convert to DNG,rename,backup, add keywords and metadata all in one step-what a timesaver! Organising photos is a breeze and the collections feature is just what I need to organise photos I want to print, then I find the export feature allows me to resize to my desired size in one move which I have saved as a preset. Previously I would have to load the files into photoshop to run an action on them.

Stacking and virtual copies are great features I had not even thought of needing but now I use them all the time.

The tone curve and black and white develop features are also excellent. I now do about 80-90% of my workflow in lightroom without ever needing photoshop now. When I do use photoshop, lightroom stacks the edited version with the original automatically-cool!

Plenty more features and some no doubt I have not discovered yet. I have had no problems pointing it at 100GB of photos which are now contained in one lightroom database. I think to make the most of lightroom you need to be shooting in RAW which I do all the time anyway and would recommend.

It's probably not for beginners, but if you are serious about your photography I can highly recommend it.