Profile for Multikulti > Reviews

The Little Paris Kitchen: Classic French recipes with a fresh and fun approach
The Little Paris Kitchen: Classic French recipes with a fresh and fun approach
by Rachel Khoo

3.0 out of 5 stars Look before you buy, 20 Mar 2014
I was caught up in the hype and a couple of episodes of the TV series of this cook and her kitchen and bought the book.
In the end, I passed it on, as had I looked more closely, I would have seen that the recipes are a cuisine I either don't much like or have other, more definitive, recipe books which cover them.
Pretty, but not a keeper for me. Perhaps young people who are just beginning to cook with enthusiasm?

Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat
Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat
by Bee Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 20 Mar 2014
A hugely enjoyable read about the history of food and cooking and all that that entails.
I was hooked on this book.

The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris
by John Baxter

4.0 out of 5 stars The real thing, 20 Mar 2014
Definitely intended for the "typical" tourist, i.e. American, this book nevertheless does give insights into the "real" Paris and the French as they really are. I'm sure many who yearn to go to Paris but know little about it outside typical literature (Hemingway…) would enjoy this book, which is more of an introduction - and the message that one should take a little more time, wander the streets and just simply sit down occasionally, comes across very clearly.

Altair Design Pattern Pad: Bk. 1
Altair Design Pattern Pad: Bk. 1
by Ensor Holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 20 Mar 2014
We had these pads in the mid-1970s and I used to love colouring them in and that is the only reason I ordered them.
I then found myself buying crayons and felt pens and wallowing in my distant 10-yr old self and having a wonderful time, removed from any responsibility as I played with them… highly recommended.

Populaire [DVD]
Populaire [DVD]
Dvd ~ Déborah François

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)
Definitely amusing for those of us who ever learnt to use a typewrite - maybe anyone younger wouldn't get it?!
Also very French, bright and perky. Very light entertainment.

Belle & Boo and the Very Merry Christmas
Belle & Boo and the Very Merry Christmas
by Mandy Sutcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 20 Mar 2014
Enormously popular just now and extremely appealing for the nostalgic among us, I was pleased that although I had been attracted to this series myself, my little granddaughter is just as delighted with the books, which gives me a great excuse to buy them!
It's the childhood a lot of either had or wish we'd had and is beautifully illustrated to incite huge affection.

Rain Later, Good: Painting the Shipping Forecast
Rain Later, Good: Painting the Shipping Forecast
by Peter Collyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 20 Mar 2014
Peter Collyer is the watercolourist of my dreams - I love his style so I can't find anything negative about this book with its beautiful reproductions of his work. He even manages to paint fog beautifully…!
This is another one who travelled around the areas to document them and I enjoyed the commentary to each area along with the paintings. I only wish I could cover my house wall with these paintings! As would anyone else who likes this kind of coastal art.

And Now the Shipping Forecast
And Now the Shipping Forecast
by Peter Jefferson

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 20 Mar 2014
Jefferson read the shipping forecast at the Beeb for over 40 years and so takes us right into the history but also into the studios for the history of the shipping forecast, introducing us to all that is involved in it arriving in our homes (or on our boats). There is a light-hearted vibe about it, but the humour seems slightly forced. However, a quick and informative read (I read it in an evening) which took me on to other books on the subject (Connolly and Collyer).

Attention All Shipping: A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast (Radio 4 Book of the Week)
by Charlie Connelly

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 20 Mar 2014
This is written in humorous travel style by someone who obviously knows the genre and who has a real interest in the shipping forecast and what it's all about. An entertaining and informative read, with many personal anecdotes included of the author's adventures while travelling around the shipping forecast...

Tudor Roses
Tudor Roses
by Alice Starmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasure, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tudor Roses (Hardcover)
This is not your average book of knitting patterns.
Originally published a number of years ago, it is also not just a new edition. The whole book and all the patterns have been revisited, revised and reviewed and the result is a beautiful, cloth-bound book worthy of any coffee table… and yet many of the patterns do not seem out of the realm of coming to life in the hands of a reasonably well-versed knitter (which I didn't expect - I thought it would all be so intricate I'd hardly dare even try a pattern, but not so!).
It's eye-candy and practical all at the same time; each of the patterns has thought and point behind it, being inspired by women in Tudor history and imagined by two women (mother and daughter themselves) who have really considered who each was and what each garment pattern represents. It is eminently readable.
I'm smitten.