Profile for mrs p > Reviews

Content by mrs p

mrs p

Mothers Ruined (The Survival Series Book 3)
Mothers Ruined (The Survival Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud, 25 May 2014
Dottie is a character that any mum trying to do her best, and make friends along the way, can relate to- I officially want her to be my new BFF! Aimee's writing is again brilliant, and I loved the Miranda-esque asides which made me laugh out loud (literally!) If you've not read any Dottie, you're missing out!

The Sandalwood Tree
The Sandalwood Tree
by Elle Newmark

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tale, 1 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Sandalwood Tree (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this novel by Elle Newmark. Set in India, it reminded me of Julia Gregson's novels, which I have enjoyed immensely. This is one of my favourite genres so I was very excited to begin reading.

The post-war story webs and weaves between Evie and Martin Mitchell and their son Billy's tale, and that of Adela and Felicity some 100 years earlier. I liked the different narrative styles used. Adela and Felicity's tale is told through diary entries and letters, which Evie discovers in hidden places around the house which they are renting in Masoorla. As she pieces together their story, she uncovers some realities about her own relationship and begins to question the impact of war on personal lives and relationships.

It was an enjoyable read, and I was engrossed - the descriptions of India, the bazaar, sights and smells were so vivid. For me the only area in which this novel didn't really work was with Evie's son Billy, as I found it very hard to reconcile his actions and language with both the time in which the novel was set (1947), and his age (5). Despite this, the rest of the novel seemed to hang together fairly well, and I hope that Elle Newmark returns to this setting in a future book, as I'd be the first to want to read it!

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT BOOK!!, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I loved this book and read it really quickly. I'm already missing Emma and Dexter, and am having a hard time finding another book to read now. David Nicholls' writing is engaging and the structure of the book I think is what makes it such a page turner. I loved starting each new chapter and trying to work out what had happened in the past year.

Highly recommended. Would be a great book club choice I think!

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it but whatever you do don't lend it out!, 13 Nov 2009
There are some books you would happily lend to your friends, siblings, neighbours but this should not be one of them...in the nicest possible way. I can not bear to think that this book would ever not be in my house for me to read over and over again. I talk from experience as I've now owned two copies of this book since 2004 - I had to buy the book a second time as after I read it the first time, it moved me so much I eagerly lent it to a friend, who then lent it to a friend, and so on, that I never got it back.
So my top tip for today is: buy this book, read it, fall in love with it as I have, tell others to buy it and then put it on your bookshelf and whatever you do don't lend it out without a written contract that says you'll get it back! You will want to read it again, believe me!

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, 13 Nov 2009
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
This has to be the best book I've read this year, I'm utterly excited to have discovered Kate Morton and will be snapping up her other titles as soon as I can. I've recommended this book to so many people.
My great grandmother was a cook in a big house, so the fact that this book really gave a feel of what it would be like to work in this environment really appealed to me. It is extremely well written and leaves nothing unturned. The events towards the end really made me gasp!
If you're looking for a way to spend a weekend, sitting snuggled under a blanket with a good read and a cup of tea then this is definitely the book for you!!

Children's Classics and Modern Classics: A Little Princess
Children's Classics and Modern Classics: A Little Princess
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 13 Nov 2009
It's so wonderful to see a new edition of this timeless book. An avid reader when small, I devoured this book time and time again so my copy definitely needs replacing. I really hope that this new look will mean that millions more little girls will grow up with Sara Crewe like I did!

East of the Sun
East of the Sun
by Julia Gregson

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: East of the Sun (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book and have recommended it to many of my friends. Set in India in the late 1920s, it is the story of Viva, Rose and Tor - part of the "fishing fleet" of women travelling to India to find husbands. Trust me, this book will completely occupy your mind and it simply won't let you put it down until you've finished it. I read it in a matter of hours. East of the Sun is one of those books I wish I hadn't already read just so that I could have the pleasure of reading it again!