Profile for Clive > Reviews

12-Volt Digital Tyre Inflator
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts
Price: 20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars JUST THE JOB, 10 Dec 2013
My new car, unlike the older one, has a spare wheel so I intended to get around to buying an electric pump at some point (the old car had one as part of the tyre repair kit, so it stayed with the car when I sold it). However, I suddenly found myself in a wheelchair with tyres that need to be inflated to about 80 psi, so I ordered this little pump in a rush.

For such a small unit, it works brilliantly but I have to disagree with some, but not all, of the comments I've read in other reviews.

Folk had said how this small pump would really struggle, and take ages, to inflate anything to a fairly high pressure (say over 40 psi). My wheelchair tyres went from zero to 80 psi in less than one minute and with no apparent struggle at all. I know that wheelchair tyres are small capacity (a small amount of air at a high pressure) but I'm unlikely to be called upon to inflate the tyres on a jet airliner.

Folk also said how much better the threaded connector on this unit is as opposed to the lever action connector on other types. Well, having used both, I must disagree. Having pumped up my wheelchair tyres, it was so fiddly to get the screwed connection off that all of the air leaked out before the fitting disengaged. I did manage, eventually, and I know that this was particularly fiddly because of the wire spokes (it would be easier on a car tyre) but I've never had a problem with the lever connectors on previous pumps and they come off much more quickly and with less loss of air.

Some reviewers have said that they struggled with the instructions and had a few goes at getting the pump to work. Not me; it all seems really easy and worked first time. There's nothing complicated about the instructions at all and a novice, without the instructions, would still take one look at this pump and know how to use it in 30 seconds.

The air line hose is a bit short but this isn't a real problem

Everything else works just fine and the pressure gauge seems to be accurate and easy to read. Once you've uncoiled the electrical cable, it is, as others have commented, difficult to get it back into the tiny slot it came out of but the zipped bag for this pump will still accommodate everything, even if you can't be bothered to laboriously stuff the cable back into its recess. Once packed away, the pump, in its very strong bag, is neat and easy to store away in a cubby in the car.

This little pump is brilliant and excellent value for money; I would have given it five stars if it had a lever connector instead of the threaded connector but, hey, that's a minor grumble only.

Logitech MK270 Wireless Combo-with a tiny plug-and-forget nano receiver
Logitech MK270 Wireless Combo-with a tiny plug-and-forget nano receiver
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT FOR IT SCAREDY CATS, 10 Dec 2013
I am an absolute numpty when it to comes to IT. Nothing ever seems to do what it's supposed to ("Just load the disc and it will automatically load up" - no it doesn't!) and I'm too nervous to correct a problem by risking deleting a programme and then re-loading it from the original disc. Most of the messages my PC sends to me seem to be bewilderingly sinister. So, when I wore the letters off my aged wireless keyboard, I delayed for ages before risking buying a replacement.

I needn't have worried! Here's what I did to get up and running again:

1. Remove the existing USB radio transmitter from the back of my PC to disable the existing keyboard and mouse. (I threw the keyboard, mouse and USB away).
2. Take the new keyboard, mouse, USB connector and small radio plug out of the box.
3. Plug the radio transmitter into one end of the USB and then plug the USB into the back of my PC.
4. Pull the little plastic covers off the batteries in the mouse and keyboard and switch on both mouse and keyboard.
5. Wait for less than one minute until a flag on the PC tells me 'connected'.
Off you go!!!

This whole process, including reading the instructions, took less than five minutes. Hassle free even for an anti-geek like me! No fuss, just everything works exactly as it's supposed to.

This isn't the sexiest keyboard or mouse I've ever seen but I want my kit to perform a job, not to impress someone else (you have to be seriously sad to think that a tricksy PC keyboard will impress anyone). This Logitec kit works perfectly; the keys are crisp and positive and the mouse fits my (small) hands well and the sensor works flawlessly.

Especially given the low price of this product, I love it!

Fortress of Spears: Empire III
Fortress of Spears: Empire III
Price: 5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A ROMP, 10 Dec 2013
This is the third book in this series with the same main character(s), the first two being 'Wounds of Honour' and 'Arrows of Fury'. Sadly, I'm getting a bit bored now as the story doesn't seem to be fresh any more and this third book is one long series of violent action sequences. It would be perfectly acceptable to pick this up as your first AR novel and read this as a stand alone book although, as is always the case, the story makes far more sense if you've read the other two books first.

That Anthony Riches knows his period is very clear and the detail of everyday life in a Roman encampment is great. If you are a 'buff' for this sort of thing (and I am) then the structure of this world will be no problem but if you've just dipped into this book for a diversion, then the difference between a spatha and a gladius, a round shield or an oval shield and segmented versus scale armour will pass right past you. More importantly, much of the depth of the book depends upon some knowledge of the politics and military structure of the Roman forces of the period and none of this is explained. For instance, the roles of Legatus, Tribune, Decurion, First Spear etc are important to the context yet, to a fresh reader, will be bewildering. Add to that the politics and social hierarchy between, say, an auxiliary cohort and a regular soldier, upon which much of the base of the plot rests, and it's easy to get lost (how many men make up a 'tent party' (8) and how many are in a legion (88)). I think that, on some previous novels, a glossary of this structure has been provided and that is so helpful. But such helpful information is absent here.

My other grumble is in the one-dimensional nature of some of the characters. All of the 'heros' are big men (larger than average men). All have hearts of gold. All of them are loyal and honourable beyond the most ardent Boy Scout. All of them are more than a match for four or five opponents. Then there are the 'villains'. All of these have a permanent sneer, are cowardly and dishonourable, are universally rapacious and poor soldiers. Having absolutely every character fall into such a cliched role makes for an unbelievable world and this causes a slightly jarring juxtaposition between really great detail in an unrealistic setting.

One other thing that I've noticed in this book that I don't recall in the earlier novels is an increased use of modern idioms. Things like a character asking a question with a phrase such as "And this affects me how?". Language is often a difficult subject in historical novels but one thing guaranteed to jar a reader out of the 'moment' is modern idioms.

OK, that's enough of the grumbles. If you like a book that is packed with action (even if a bit repetitive) and with good descriptions of the Borders of 2,000 years ago, then this will float your boat. The overall writing style is fluid and holds the attention and some of the secondary characters are very compelling.

My grumbles are, really, aimed at Mr Riches himself. Few authors start with his advantage of a brilliant knowledge of his subject and I just know that he can use that to better effect than Fortress of Spears; come on Mr R, you can do better! I very nearly gave this book four stars but withheld one just because I feel a bit let down by the author, who seems a bit too lazy to fulfil his potential. I will, certainly, buy the next book in this series because I'm not giving up on Anthony Riches yet and, when push comes to shove, I still enjoyed reading this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2013 1:40 PM GMT

Hunter's Run
Hunter's Run
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT WITH RESERVATIONS, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hunter's Run (Kindle Edition)
I have to confess, up front, that I am no sci-fi buff. I don't, normally read the genre of sci-fi that's set in the future or on alien planets etc although I do read a fair amount of the genre that is set in some quasi-medieval period in a sort of 'Middle Earth'. As such, I am an avid George RR Martin fan (A Song of Ice & Fire series) and Daniel Abraham (both the Long Price quartet and the Dagger & Coin series are great). I'd never heard of Gardner Dozois. The premise of Hunter's Run sounded intriguing and, as it was co-written by two of my favourite authors (I ignored Mr Dozois) I had high expectations. And there's the rub.

If I ignore the provenance, then this is a pretty good sci-fi story. The characters are well developed and the descriptive narrative sufficient to paint a vivid picture of an alien world, even if it is very like Earth. The basic moral dilemma upon which the story rests, and which I can't reveal without it being a spoiler, is fairly good but I did feel that the possibilities weren't fully exploited. There is also a gapping flaw in the logic of the story as the main character; a very street wise and cynical creature, is given a tale by one set of aliens, regarding the nastiness of another alien species and he just accepts it as gospel truth, without question. He has the opportunity to question it but he doesn't. As this then drives the rest of the plot line, it seems to be a bit of a leap to me. The conclusion is also a bit vague for my tastes.

However, the overall writing style is pretty good and the story itself is sufficiently sound to hold the interest easily. Hence the four stars.

My grumble is that, without knowing that Mr Martin and Mr Abraham had a major hand in this novel, I would never have guessed. None of their trademark styles are in there (except for Mr Martin's notoriously slow pace of production - Hunter's Run, apparently, took 30 years to get out). There is an explanation of the process of generating this book helpfully included at the end and this may provide a clue to its failure to shine. It seems that the book is, really, a Gardner Dozois product which has then spent many years being passed between all three authors to allow each to write the next section and to 'polish' the other author's work. A book written by committee. Just as mixing three vibrant colours can result in grey, the same literary effect is the result here. Sadly, my suspicious mind leads me to think that this is just a manuscript hidden in a drawer for many years until someone decided to cash in on the gathering fame of Messrs Martin and Abraham and push it out.

Having had my grumble, without my artificially high expectations, this is still an entertaining tale worthy of the four stars awarded so don't let me put you off. By the way, I have recently read the first book written by Anthony Ryan, called 'Blood Song', and it was superb and, oddly, had more of a 'GRR Martin feel' to it than Hunter's Run has.

I have a sneaky feeling that my novice ramblings will offend some true sci-fi geeks so, to you, I apologise but, hey, I'm a reader just like you!

Loose Cannons (General Military)
Loose Cannons (General Military)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars UNEXPECTEDLY BRILLIANT, 24 Nov 2013
I've read quite a few of this genre of book and so expect them to be fairly entertaining but nothing special. So I was delighted to discover that this one is more than a cut above the norm. Of the 101 entries, all are fascinating (definitely no padding here) and almost all of them were new to me. Some entries just provided more detail on stuff I knew previously, although often my knowledge was very sketchy. For example, the sections on Jim Bowie and The Alamo in general were riveting. Other items, such as the bat bombs, were things that I already knew from other reading but, even then, they all had new snippets to add.

The pace and style of writing is excellent and makes very clear where evidence based fact fades into conjecture. The depth of research is very impressive indeed and all sources are properly cited. This book is a sort of 'QI' crossed with an adult version of 'Horrible Histories' and makes history fun and accessible to all. I enjoyed this book immensely, hence the five stars, and can recommend it without reservation.

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A WORTHY RIVAL TO GRR MARTIN, 21 Nov 2013
Maybe it's because I just expected this book to be a moderately entertaining fantasy novel, with lots of sword wielding, that the superb nature of it sneaked up and mugged me before I realised what was happening. Like lots of fairly prolific readers, I have my 'champions' in my chosen genres. So Bernard Cornwell is unassailable in his mastery of historical fantasy novels and, until now, George RR Martin is just the master at 'medieval fantasy' and the best thriller writer, by far, is Jeffery Deaver. I also confess to a guilty craving for the odd Jeremy Clarkson when I need a boost of irreverent comedy raving but don't tell anyone! Each of these 'masters' tops the list because of something special in their style. But it never occurred to me that there might be an author that could combine elements of these styles in a single book. Until now.

Blood Song is, quite simply, an excellent book when judged by any normal standards. The story is sweeping in scale, the heroes believable and imperfect, enough action to keep the most bloodthirsty satisfied and all told with an engaging and inclusive style. Every element of this book is judged to perfection; just the right amount of romance, gore and a sensible plot line. Too many books of this genre are little more than pastiched computer games in written form but not this one; it has real depth.

The structure of the book in general and the world in which it is set is very close indeed (possibly plagiaristically so) to George RR Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series (or Game of Thrones as it's better known these days) but Mr Ryan's writing style is so fluid and engaging that this hardly matters. The point is that everything that I love in Mr Martin's books is here too and, here, the action moves a bit more quickly than in GRR's glacial style. Given that GRR Martin is, presently, the top of this tree, that's praise indeed.

But here's the thing. No one writes thrillers like Jeffery Deaver, What is unique is his ability to trick the reader into 'seeing' a story picture that is false. So the last person you suspected is the villain. "That can't be right!" you cry and you re-read sections only to find that, sure enough, the author didn't actually SAY that, you just allowed yourself to follow that route. Furthermore, obscure and unimportant trivia half way through becomes hugely significant at the end. It is delicious stuff and, no matter how many Deaver novels you've read, he will still fool you. Well, that style is evident, in spades, in Blood Song. This isn't just light entertainment, it's a very clever and devious book that will hook you big time. At the end you will be saying "Ah, now I see!".

So what I now have is a fantasy novel that blends the styles of two of my favourite authors into a truly wonderful story; I never thought that it could be done! Each of my 'masters' has achieved that rank through many readings of a large body of work (and it's not always consistent) so I won't depose GRR Martin on the basis of this single effort by Anthony Ryan. But if the next in this series is anything like as good as this, then move over GRR 'cos there's a new king.

By the way, there is another nod to Ice & Fire in that, in Mr Martin's books there is a board game frequently mentioned (called cyvasse). Aficionados asked to be told the rules of this game but Mr M was forced to admit that he never created any rules for this fictitious game as it isn't important to the story, so fans have made up their own (!) In Blood Song, the author uses an appendix to set out the rules of his similar game, keschet.

That this is just the first in a series of these books is clear from the outset and, here, the ending of this book is perfectly set up to lead into the next stage of the saga. The ending isn't clumsy, as is so often the case with series, and the whole pace of the overarching story seems to be leading to a trilogy.

If there is but one complaint, it is one that others have also commented upon; there are lots of quite complex names used throughout. Keeping them straight in your mind is hard enough but the fact that some 'goodies' become 'baddies' (and vice versa) and some characters have more than one name means that the occasional mental pause to gather your thoughts is necessary now and again. But this isn't a book for the stupid so, unless you think that reading more than two books a year makes you a 'swat', the names shouldn't spoil your enjoyment.

I absolutely loved this book and just can't wait for the next in the series. It fully deserves its five stars.

BBC Media Player(Kindle Fire Edition)
BBC Media Player(Kindle Fire Edition)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT ON MY KINDLE, 11 Nov 2013
I bought this app (well, it's free) for my Kindle Fire HD and it works just brilliantly. The app is very easy to navigate and gives access to a huge library of BBC TV and radio programmes. There are no 'hang ups' and my 8.9" HD screen, used with headphones, provides a stunningly good viewing experience.
My only grumble is how starkly this brilliant app highlights the paradox of watching TV on Kindle. It is simply not possible to watch any ITV channel on a Kindle and even if you can find a clip on the web, forget it if it is in Adobe Flash format. If BBC programmes are so easily made available on Kindle, then why not commercial channels too? Surely, given that commercial channels exist to sell advertising space, they would love access to Kindle users, so I must conclude that, once again, the problem lies not with the TV companies but with Amazon's jealous guarding of its own advertising space. Come in Amazon, if you want us to stick with our Kindles, unclench.
There is a sister app to this one, also free, that, among other things, allows you to listen to live BBC radio. Both of these apps are just superb.

Optimum Men's Cycling Fingerless Glove - Black/Red, Small
Optimum Men's Cycling Fingerless Glove - Black/Red, Small
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars ADEQUATE, 11 Nov 2013
I am confined to a wheelchair for a few months and so bought these to protect my hands. I don't need them to last long enough to become heirlooms so I didn't expect brilliant quality at this price and, indeed, I have to agree with other reviewers in their two, main, grumbles.
Firstly, these gloves are poorly finished, with loose threads and poor machining straight from the packet. They won't last long but then I don't need them to.
Secondly, everyone commented on how small they are and advised ordering one size larger than you might think. I have exceptionally small hands for a man but I still ordered one size up. And, even so, they only just fit and are quite difficult to remove. These gloves aren't small, they're tiny!
But, predictable grumbles aside, they should be fine for me. If you are looking for a pair of quality cycling gloves, 'cos you're a keen enthusiast, then don't bother with these (but I imagine that you'd be stood in shop anyway, trying gloves on rather than buying by mail). But if you're looking for a quick fix for some hand protection, then these are OK. Are they the best value for money out there? I don't know! Am I disappointed with my purchase? Not at all; they are, er .....adequate.

Lost Worlds: What Have We Lost And Where Did It Go?
Lost Worlds: What Have We Lost And Where Did It Go?
Price: 4.12

2.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING, 11 Nov 2013
I'm a lower middle class man with a reasonable education, born in the 1950's and a bit of a pedantic geek, so I had high hopes for this book which, I thought, would be akin to an up market QI. I was wrong! I didn't hate this book, I just disliked it on several levels.
Firstly, there is no real structure other than an arbitrary alphabetic listing. This is nothing more than a written version of 'Grumpy Old Men' but devoid of any of the charm or humour of the TV version. The whole book is just a series of arbitrary lists, in one form or another, and in one case, the item is just a list of 100 things that don't exist in today's world. While a few of these pique nostalgic interest, it becomes very boring very quickly. I never enjoy reading down long lists.
Secondly, who is this book aimed at? Me, I assume as most of the references will be meaningless to anyone under the age of about 50. Even I (aged 58) was left thinking "so what?" at the end of most items. Of course, I did recognise lots of products from my past but it invoked in me a feeling of "oh yeah" at best.
One of my biggest gripes is the writing style. Michael Bywater is a well educated, experienced, journalist and, as such, he has an expanded vocabulary and erudition beyond the norm. But, my God, doesn't he like to ram that down the reader's throat? I'm a big fan of the novels of Allan Mallinson and, in most of his books, I encounter the occasional word that I haven't come across before. As I have the pedant' s passion for English, I look it up and, in every case, find that it is exactly the best term to use within the context of the sentence. I feel grateful to Mr Mallinson for broadening my vocabulary; I do not feel condescended or demeaned. Not so with Mr Bywater. Here, every item is awkwardly phrased to allow Mr B to use an obscure or esoteric word with a huge sense of "see, I know that word and you didn't!". It is linguistic triumphalist bullying at its worst and left me thinking "smart a**e" rather than "what a clever man" . Most of the items seem to be little more than a thin excuse to allow Mr Bywater to 'go off on one' and rant incoherently. The odd example of this might be amusing, especially in, say, a weekly newspaper column, but it soon becomes annoyingly tiresome here.
My final gripe is only partly to do with the author and is, at least in part, a result of my poor choice in buying this in Kindle format. My Kindle showed me to be less than 60% through when I reached the end. That's because Mr B has taken the current fad for appending footnotes to much of his writing to the extreme. There are footnotes in just about every item and not just one footnote per item either. Oh no, Mr B doesn't constrain himself so; in some items there are up to a dozen footnotes in just that one item. For some items, there is more written in the footnotes than in the item itself. Now, this is just sloppy and pretentious writing as, clearly, much of what is appended in the footnote should have formed part of the item although, curiously, many of the footnotes are more interesting than the item to which they pertain. My big problem was that, in paper format, these footnotes would have appeared close to each item, allowing them to be read contemperaniously but navigating this in Kindle is more difficult. I must admit that the index at the end works quite well, so it's not all bad.
So would I recommend this book to you? No. It is self important, pretentious, rambling drivel that becomes tedious and boring almost before the end of the first page. I have only awarded a second star to recognise the depth of research that seems to have gone into it. There is a series of books from the folk who produce the QI TV programme, all of which are much better than this (there are some good maths based ones too) and, for humorous middle aged ranting, some of Jerremy Clarkson 's short articles take some beating. In fact, there's lots of stuff out there far better than this. I've had more fun writing this review than I had reading the book! So don't waste your money.

Master Of War: The Blooding - Part one of an epic adventure set during the Hundred Years' War
Price: 0.41

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT AS A FIRST NOVEL, 7 Nov 2013
The test of a good book is the question "Did I enjoy it?" and, in this case the answer is a definite "Yes". Hence four stars. The rest is just observation from one reader's perspective (mine).

I found this book to be engaging and engrossing; I really wanted to read on to see what happens next. The pace is just right and the battle scenes are among the best I've ever read. The main character is well founded and his growth from callow boy to seasoned warrior progresses beautifully. Although other reviewers have criticised the accuracy of some of the detail (there's no such thing as a 'short bastard sword' or 'chain mail') I found almost all of the minute detail of life in this period spot on and fascinating. This period in history is a particular hobby of mine and I was delighted to see so many of the historical facts not only very accurately relayed here, but also in a manner that draws out the political complexity of the era (the Channel didn't stop anyone from claiming sovereignty in either England or France).

The book may suffer from an unfair comparison. Bernard Cornwell's 'Grail Quest' series, with Thomas Hookton as the main character, tells a very similar story (in fact, VERY similar!) and, of course, that is Bernard Cornwell and so is utterly masterful The similarities are very striking (Thomas Hookton / Thomas Blackstone !!!) and David Gilman, unsurprisingly, doesn't fare well in such comparison. Bernard Cornwell's hero suffers a debilitating injury to his fingers that looks as though he will never again draw a bow, but he recovers almost to his original standard though sheer grit. At the end of Mr Gilman's book, Thomas has suffered a similar injury which, we are told, means that he will 'never draw a war bow again'. Hmm, let's see but, a warning to Mr Gilman, if, in the next book, Thomas recovers through sheer grit to be almost as good as he previously was, I can see a claim of plagiarism heading your way. But if you compare every book that you read to the absolute best in the genre, then just about everything you read will disappoint. In this case, I'm very happy to set any comparison aside and to simply consider Master of War in its own right; it's very good indeed.

OK, there a few, pretty minor, gripes. Thomas Hookton is just that bit too good to be true. I might be able to accept his shining honour and his incomparable skills as an archer, but we see every single arrow shot hit its mark, even in the turmoil of battle; reality was never like that. Thomas's involvement close to the heart of power is a bit contrived, as is the love interest that seems to have been shoehorned in ("Oh yeah, we'd better have a damsel in distress"). And , for me, there was one glaring error that cropped up over and over again that really irritated me, mainly because I am certain that Mr Gilman knows the facts but just didn't want that inconvenience spoiling getting in the way of rhetoric. That is the absolutely known and proven fact that arrows, even when bodkin tipped, almost never pierced plate armour. At the very best, when shot from less than 20m and at poor quality armour, an arrow might, just, pierce the plate armour but it wouldn't carry on through the padding below (the gambeson). It might bruise, but it couldn't kill. In this book, French knights are killed in their droves by arrows passing right through their armoured bodies. At both the battles of Crecy and Azincourt (which Mr Gilman incorrectly expresses as Agincourt, again, I imagine, to salve popularism), it is known that the French died as a result of the ground on which the battle was fought and the English practice of killing the horses. Men were, actually, killed once on the ground by knife or war hammer, not by arrows. That the sheer weight and volume of arrows in the air was a factor is undeniable (like standing, naked, 10m away from 20 people all firing paint balls at you) but it didn't kill many of those in armour.

One other, very minor, irritation lay in the names. Throughout, there are two Blackstone brothers and our main hero is Thomas. Instead of referring to the hero as 'Thomas', the author refers to him as 'Blackstone'. This probably wouldn't have been noticeable but for the frequent references to 'Blackstone's brother' but, of course, they are both 'Blackstones' so such reference could also refer to Thomas himself. We, the reader, have an emotional connection to Thomas Blackstone who is, after all, a sympathetic character, so referring to him as 'Thomas' would have been appropriate and less jarring.

But those things only annoy me because I'm a geek and, overall, this is still a really good novel. I will, certainly, buy the next in this series and you should too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14