Profile for Clive > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Citrix Receiver
Citrix Receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars WORKS WELL, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Citrix Receiver (App)
As the owner of a Kindle Fire HD, this is an absolute necessity for me if I want to have any kind of access to my work based systems. Citrix is notorious for being a very difficult system to use and navigate; a function of the high level of security it provides, but, normal Citrix grumbles aside, this app works fine for me and I'd be lost without it.

Slave To Love (1999 Digital Remaster)
Slave To Love (1999 Digital Remaster)

4.0 out of 5 stars SATISFIED, 20 Sept. 2013
I bought this for my wife and, as she seems to be very happy with it, so am I. I may not be a Bryan Ferry fan but I do like to keep my partner happy!

Notebooks Pro
Notebooks Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST RIGHT, 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Notebooks Pro (App)
Having bought a Kindle Fire HD, it's a bit galling to find that it doesn't have any of the standard stuff on it that I would have expected and, for example, I can't even open a 'Word' type document to make a note. So I looked for a suitable app just to make some notes through.

This 'Notebooks Pro' app is just the job and works perfectly. The filing system for your notes is clear and easy to use; there's lots and lots of storage available for your notes and the typing system is easy and has a particularly good predictive text type of operation. At £1.24, it's hard to see what's not to like about this app and I would recommend it to anyone who just wants to make a few notes (or write a novel!) on their tablet. I suspect that this will be particularly valuable to Kindle owners given that their device is so poorly equipped as standard. Five stars well deserved.

Swords of Good Men (The Valhalla Saga Book 1)
Swords of Good Men (The Valhalla Saga Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT SURE, 1 Sept. 2013
I've given this first effort by Mr Kristjansson three stars because I'm just not sure; it is enjoyable and parts are well written, but there are still a few fairly annoying flaws. I must agree with much of what other reviewers have said so you won't find any mind blowing revelations here I'm afraid.

The story is a bit slow to get going but it's, really, just one story of a siege and the build up to it. The ending is contrived to provide a vehicle for the next book in this series, starring the two main characters and SK comprehensively clears the decks of any future complications through the expedient of killing off just about everyone else! There is a mystical element to the story and, although I don't much like that sort of thing in my 'Viking' books, it isn't too obtrusive here. There is a lot action flowing through and around the town of Stenvik and a plan of the town and its environs would have been useful.

The good stuff; Well, the evocation of Nordic lands a thousand years ago is quite compelling and I really felt as though I was there. The pace of the action, once you are more than half way through, picks up nicely and holds the attention well. Several of the characters are well drawn and interesting in their own right.

The more troubling stuff: By far my biggest grumble is with the style of having 'chapter' headings of place names and then having a new 'chapter' every time the story perspective changes from one character to another. This means that there are many 'chapters' that are less than half a page long. This constant and staccato switching between places and characters gets very confusing, made worse by the similarity in some of the Nordic character names. The fact that some characters switch their loyalties from besieger to besieged and some of the besiegers spend time inside the besieged town, just adds to the confusion. Please Mr Kristjansson, listen to me and countless other reviewers and write the next in this series but not in this style.

I did have other, lesser, issues. The love story is poorly drafted and seems to only be there as a formulaic "every Viking story has to have a love interest". There are three female characters; two 'villains' and a 'damsel in distress', and it seems strange that none of the many main male characters have a wife.Similarly, one or two of the characters seem to have been penned and then SK couldn't find a use for them in the story so they just hang about until being despatched. Without giving the game away, one of the two 'visitors' has a pointless and useless thread for 75% of the book before just fading away (and I'm still not sure why). Also, there are some glaring modern idioms used in the speech of the characters. I'm not a fan of fake 10th century English but some of these characters seem to have been watching American TV.

So, having listed far more negatives than positives, you may wonder why I have given three stars. It's because, despite the flaws, I still enjoyed this book. It isn't fantastic but it isn't rubbish either and it certainly entertained me for a few hours. Furthermore, I'm aware that this is Mr Kristjansson's first ever effort and, if he's as smart as his writing suggests, he'll listen to these reviews and change his style a bit. If he does, then the next in this series could be seriously good and I, for one, will be happy to buy the next book to see.

Calculator Plus Free
Calculator Plus Free

4.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE AND GREAT, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Calculator Plus Free (App)
This is a really easy to use, see and understand calculator. Big and clear display and it tells you exactly what it is doing at every step. This is free because there is an advertisement bar running along the top at all times. This is not intrusive so I wouldn't bother spending money just to get the advert-free version.

This doesn't operate QUITE like other calculators so you have to think about what you're doing (for eg. I often use 50x20% (it then shows me the VAT on £50) + = (and that shows me the total of 60) and this app won't do it that way), and it does have the adverts; hence it only gets four stars rather than five.

You'd have to be really picky not to be satisfied with this app.

The Protector
The Protector

3.0 out of 5 stars OK....JUST, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Protector (Kindle Edition)
I've read a few David Morrell works before and have found them to be quite inconsistent; First Blood is good and Open Season is great but later stuff just seems to struggle. In this case it is very obvious, even without the constant reminders in the sections before and after the actual story, that DM has been to school to learn about protection skills, evasive driving, gun alteration, knives etc and he seems to just use this book to showcase every bit of knowledge gleaned. I found it moderately interesting but it isn't enough to sustain the whole book. Incidentally, it shows as 'acquired knowledge' in some ways, such as the tiresomely repetitive reference to the Emmerson knife which ISN'T actually the best of it's type (there is a franchised version that is automatic and is acknowledged as being better than the original)

The plot line is pretty shaky and requires lots of suspension of belief and DM seems to try to blind the reader to that by a relentless pace of hot action that is only beaten in sheer 'unbelievable feats of violence per page' by Matthew Reilly novels. The whole story seems to be thinly woven to act only as a frame on which to hang Mr Morrell's newly learned knowledge.

I've been fortunate enough to read some really good books lately so I may be being a bit unfair in my criticism here as it does suffer from comparison. Had I just wanted to while away some time and let myself fall into thoughtless pulp fiction, then this book serves very well. It isn't terrible. It is quite entertaining. It just isn't fantastic and I think that I am more critical because I have read other stuff from this author that is so much better.

Neo G MEDICAL GRADE ADVANCED HINGED OPEN PATELLA KNEE BRACE/SUPPORT 'breathable design'
Offered by Online Sports Support Store

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE, 15 Aug. 2013
I have a long history of problems with knees, hips and feet. I'm about to have an operation that will make me keep my left foot off the ground for six months, leaving me to hop around on crutches and my right leg only. And it's just at this point that the fibula in my right knee decides to dislocate and play up. I have a few weeks to sort it out or I'll be stuck, completely immobile.

In desperation I decided to buy this fairly heavy duty knee brace but I didn't hold out much hope for a miracle cure. Ordering and delivery were swift, easy and the brace arrived much more quickly than I had expected.

OK, now this is the part where I sound like the 'stooge' at a faith healer show. I wore this brace for one full day and I really felt the benefit. It did feel very bulky and distinctly odd and I realised that I hadn't positioned it perfectly on this first outing. But the real surprise was when I got home at the end of the day and took it off. My weak knee felt 50 times better than it had that morning. And it didn't wear off; I felt a real and permanent improvement.

So, next morning, I was a bit more careful about positioning it just right and it felt much more comfortable and less obtrusive all day. That night there was a further improvement. Now I know that this doesn't count as a 'miracle cure' but, boy, am I impressed!

To be clear; I don't have a debilitating injury and I think that I just needed a bit of proper support to help my knee heal itself and, for that, this knee brace has performed brilliantly. Although one of the more up market braces (heavier and with metal hinges), the cost pales into insignificance compared to what it has done to help me. And it won't exactly beak the bank in the first place. I have read reviews saying that, after a while, you don't notice that you're wearing it. Well that hasn't been true for me and, on me, it is pretty bulky, but that's a tiny compromise for getting my mobility back and ridding myself of the constant and nagging ache in my knee. I've had this particular knee injury for more than four months and it just wasn't getting any better.

There may be other products out there that do the same thing, possibly more cheaply; I don't know because I haven't tried anything but this. What I can say is that this brace really, really, worked (and continues to work) for me and, as fully paid up cynic, I'm amazed!

Visual Anatomy
Visual Anatomy

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE APP, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Visual Anatomy (App)
I didn't download the full 'Grey's Anatomy' as it would take up so much memory on my Kindle Fire HD and I suspect that, had I downloaded that, I would have had more detail than I could wave a scalpel at. As it is, the basic app is just great. It gives clear and detailed images of all of the major components of the body and is great for showing your doctor or consultant just what hurts.

The images are crisp and clear and the zoom works brilliantly.

This app is, really, just a bit of amusing fun but, actually, it's more than that and I have found it to be much more useful than I expected. At the price, it's great value.

SKODA SUPERB 2008 -> TAILORED CAR FLOOR MATS (CLIPS IN ALL 4 MATS)
SKODA SUPERB 2008 -> TAILORED CAR FLOOR MATS (CLIPS IN ALL 4 MATS)
Offered by Need 4 Mods

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT SERVICE AND GREAT PRODUCT, 14 Aug. 2013
I wasn't sure which product was right for my car (there was pre 2008 and post 2008 and mine is a 2008 car) but the company dealt with my enquiry swiftly, extremely helpfully and with consummate expertise. The mats arrived much more quickly than advertised and they fit absolutely perfectly.

This is how every seller should operate and I will certainly use Need 4 Mods again.

Great Britain Road Map Atlas
Great Britain Road Map Atlas

4.0 out of 5 stars BASIC BUT STILL PRETTY GOOD, 14 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Great Britain Road Map Atlas (App)
I use my sat nav a lot so I don't need a visual map really. Just as well because the scale and detail of this map just aren't good enough for serious travel. However, that's not what I bought it for. It sits in my Kindle Fire for when someone says "what's the best way to get from X to Y?", at which point out comes this easy to access little map. I didn't expect a military quality orienteering map and I got exactly what I expected.

On my 9" Kindle Fire HD, the maps look crisp and clear, even when zoomed to full magnification, but they don't zoom quite far enough for my taste. To get from town to town it's fine but don't try to find your street.

It's useful and cheap enough to be really good value so I'm very happy with my purchase. It doesn't come out often but, when I need it, it's just there, to hand.

So I'm happy!