Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Benjamin J. Wright > Reviews

Content by Benjamin J. Wright

Benjamin J. Wright "queex"

Kingston Technology 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Kingston Technology 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just a USB stick..., 12 Feb. 2009
It has the capacity advertised and is reasonably robust. What more do you want from a USB stick?

Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good in all areas, 27 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights (Video Game)
I don't understand a lot of the criticisms of this game. It's true that the release version has some irritating bugs, but patches are continually being released that let the game live up to its full potential.
The single-player campaign is very good. It has been designed so that newcomers to RPGs won't be put off by being slaughtered, and has plenty of interesting side quests and one of the best plots for an RPG. They are the predictable complaints about the 'lack' of henchmen and party format; these are spurious. I find it an immense relief that I don't have to micromanage an entire party of characters, and can just sign up a useful henchman who will largely take care of himself. It is truer to pan-and-paper D&D. I liked the single player campaign better than BG2, and found the henchmen backstories more interesting.
The really good part of Neverwinter Nights is the replayablility; I found the single player campaign easily the most replayable campaign I've ever played; and I am something of a completist even the first time round. What's more there are already (as of August 2002) nearly a thousand user built modules available. I don't think I need to spell out how that affects the replayability.
What's more, the game ships with a complete toolset so you can make your own modules (although the scripting can be intimidating for non-programmers) and a DM client that lets you DM an adventure much as you would in pen-and-paper.
It really pushes the envelope as far as what games are capable of, and what sacrifices have been made (party format, custom-drawn locations) are far out-weighed by the benefits they provides (no need to pause the game any more, ability to make custom modules).
I didn't think another RPG would ever enter the same bracket as Planescape:Torment. I was wrong.

Planescape Torment Official Strategies and Secrets
Planescape Torment Official Strategies and Secrets
by Chris Avellone

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than I expected, 27 Aug. 2002
Being a colossal fan of Planescape:Torment, I was hoping that this book would reveal all kinds of secrets I had missed and give an insight into aspects I hadn't considered.
I was disappointed. It is well presented and easy to read, but it told me nothing I hadn't discovered after playing the game thorugh twice, and left out an awful lot I had discovered for myself. I appreciate that to cover the game in intricate detail would take a much larger book than this, but the book seems to be pitched at players who either haven't played the game or who are just starting, with absolutely no content for experienced players.

Counterparts
Counterparts
Offered by New Hellfire Club Glasgow

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 27 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Counterparts (Audio CD)
Rush are always pacey and compelling, but in 'Counterparts' they encompass an impressive range of moods and feelings, with relatively little variation in style.
'Nobody's Hero' plays like a blues track, despite its triumphal style, 'Alien Shore' is typical of Rush's non-cenceptual work, but 'Everyday Glory' sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.
It's upbeat, it's good, and it's Rush. What more do you want?

Sid Meier's Civilization 3
Sid Meier's Civilization 3
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Many criticism levelled at this game are unfair, 13 Dec. 2001
I can't let some of the criticisms levelled at this game lie. CivIII finishes what Alpha Centauri started, so any comments that CivIII has 'lost' features from the Call to Power series make no sense. The computer players *DO* gather large forces before attacking you, I've seen it happen. The interface is by far the best I've used in any computer game because it is logical and provides power users with a wealth of tools to take short-cuts. In CivII, you would spend much of your time looking at the city screen, while in CivIII you barely visit it. The combat system has been rationalised, making it far easier to compare units. The supposed Tank v Phalanx 'problem' certainly hasn't manifested itself in any games I've played. If you are trying to conquer somewhere and don't expect any casualties, more fool you. The defender's advantage is certainly not unbalanced. The new features, including culture and strategic resources, add a whole new feel to the game and provide interesting interim goals during the game. The increased corruption levels mean you have to find other ways to win than just steam-rollering the opposition. Live and let live becomes a realistic strategy. All in all, this is a game as exquisitely engineered as the board game Settlers of Catan. No other strategy game has been as carefully crafted as this one. Extraneous complications have been removed, leading to a crisp feel as you make strategic decisions.
The lack of a multiplayer facility may rile some, but that's not why I buy a strategy game. I want to play the odd turn here and there, not spend all night thrashing through a game and running up my phone bill. The lack of wonder movies is just irrelevant. In CivII and Alpha Centauri I would always skip them to get back to the game. Strategy games are not about eye candy. CivII is an historical game rather than a speculative one, and if you want amazing future technologies, go and buy Alpha Centauri on budget. They just wouldn't fit in CivIII.
I could go on, because there are yet more ways CivII has pleasantly surprised me, but suffice to say I nearly didn't buy it, but now I'm glad someone persuaded me to fork out for it.