Profile for Mattyjam > Reviews

Demonized
by Naomi Clark
Price: 7.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 May 2011
This review is from: Demonized (Paperback)
This is the first novel I have read by author Naomi Clark - and because of it, I will be reading more of her work.

When I picked up Demonized, I genuinely didn't know what to expect. I approached it with an open mind - and pretty soon I fell in love with the story.

Clark's writing is excellent. Her writing really pulls you in, places you in the head of her characters. She takes your mind and engages you with her style, her wit, her use of language.

The story is about a personal investigator, Ethan Banning (I love what this guy has to face in this story!) who finds himself possessed by a demon from a previous case he worked on. I loved this character, he felt so real to me. I won't spoil the story, of course, but it's great from start to finish.

Demonized is a story that has it all, in my opinion: very dark, creepy moments that are unsettling, lots of mystery that keeps you glued, and characters that really pull you into their world.

Can't recommend it enough.

by Greg Chapman
Price: 7.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy.. sinister... I loved it!, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Torment (Paperback)
I read this book in one sitting, because I didn't have a choice: it gripped me from the beginning and wouldn't let me go.

Greg Chapman tackles the subject of demons, hauntings and evil with vividness and with an increasing sense of unease.

Torment follows the story of Jessica Newman, a woman who lost her mother when she was a child during an exorcism. Jessica travels back to her family home to uncover the truth behind her mother's death and her father's sinister secrets.

Torment is full of dark, creepy moments... it has a way of crawling under your skin and unsettling you. There were certainly a few moments where I found myself feeling uneasy.

Based on this book, I'd definitely be interested in reading more from Greg Chapman. He has done a wonderful job with Torment and I recommend it.

Haunting Blue
Haunting Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Haunting Blue (Kindle Edition)
The novel follows the story of Fiona (nickname 'Blue') who moves to a small town with her mother - reluctantly - and uncovers some sinister folklore and history of the town in which she lives. Legends of ghost sightings, criminals and creepy neighbours all combine beautifully to make this a fascinating, dark and creepy read.

I fell in love with this book instantly - RJ Sullivan's words flow effortlessly across the page, his story both captivating and sinister.

I was very impressed with the character of Blue. RJ Sullivan manages to slip inside the mind of this young, teenage girl with such authenticity it amazed me.

There are some frightening moments in store, and some tearful moments. I admit to feeling emotional at certain scenes - but I won't spoil anything for you here!

The author has done a great job - and I will probably enjoy reading this again in the future.

Whether you're young or old, I think there is something each of us can take from this novel.

Price: 2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A creepy, unsettling read., 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: Torment (Kindle Edition)

Intricate Entanglement
Intricate Entanglement
Price: 2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing, creepy read., 5 Mar 2011
Intricate Entanglement is quite unique, unsettling novella that contains several short stories.

It tells the story of a reporter - Doug Pinkham - who travels to an eerie and secluded psychiatric institution, in order to investigate a murder that has taken place. As he spends time there, he eventually begins hearing stories surrounding the details of why certain patients have been detained there at the psychiatric unit. These short stories make up the vast majority of the book, but within each chapter we return to our hero, Doug Pinkham, to see how these stories are affecting him and his job.

Su Halfwerk has done an amazing job here. I enjoyed each short story in the selection, but found myself eager to see how our main character, Doug, was progressing.

There were, for me, some short-story highlights: my favourites included the creepy 'Indeweller's Retainer' where we venture into a land of curses, revenge and murder. I also loved 'Cognition', a story about a novelist who realises his fictional crimes are more true-to-life than he first realised...

I won't contain any spoilers in this review, for those of you who want to read it, but Halfwerk has done a fantastic job of taking an eerie setting and creating equally unsettling characters. She draws you in, leaving you abandoned in that dark world where nothing feels right, where nothing feels safe. Her talent for taking something innocent and creating something sinister from it is something she has mastered.

I look forward to reading more of her work.

You will enjoy this if you love a good, creepy read. I can't recommend it enough.

Michael
Michael
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.02

1.0 out of 5 stars 6 authentic tracks, 3 questionnable tracks and 1 pointless remix., 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Michael (Audio CD)
As a fan who has listened to Michael Jackson's voice almost every day for the last 20 years, I feel like I know the mans voice pretty well.

Lets get real here, there are only seven tracks with authentic MJ vocals on this album (and one of them is a remix of an already released song). The other three songs (all coincidentally written and produced by the same person) sound like somebody trying to imitate his vocal style. These three tracks (Breaking News, Monster and Keep Your Head Up) should never have been included on this album. Even if they are genuinely Michael Jackson (which is highly doubtful) the estate should only have included songs they were 100% certain of. It is a huge disrespect to Michael's legacy to release three songs which could very well be somebody else singing. His estate are clearly only motivated by money and are not at all concerned about respecting Michael's artistic integrity.

The real tragedy here is that amidst the controversy over the fake vocals some rather good genuine Michael Jackson songs have been robbed of the attention they deserve. Hollywood Tonight has some amazing beatboxing from Michael and is his catchiest uptempo since the 90s. Another Day is his best rock song since Give Into Me and Behind The Mask is a real hidden gem.

But I do not believe that it is Michael Jackson singing on the three Eddie Cascio produced songs. It does not sound like Michael's voice, the tone, the power, his trademark growl.... it's not there.

His estate should be ashamed of themselves. Michael's unreleased material deserved better than this.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2012 11:18 AM BST

The Haunting of Sam Cabot
The Haunting of Sam Cabot
by Mark Edward Hall
Price: 4.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, scary read., 4 Nov 2010
I really loved this short novel. It was creepy, unusual and excellently written. I really got lost into the world of Sam Cabot - even though this was a short story, I couldn't help but become immersed in the world the writer presents us with. Highly recommended if you enjoy a creepy read.

The Woman Who Hated Halloween
The Woman Who Hated Halloween
Price: 1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved this creepy short story, 31 Oct 2010
I purchased this short story as a treat for the Halloween period, and I am glad I did.
It was excellently written, very creepy, and a perfect story to curl under your covers and read on a dark night.
Very good!

Pet Sematary
Pet Sematary
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars The dead won't sleep.... BEST HORROR BOOK EVER!, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: Pet Sematary (Paperback)
I am an avid reader of horror. I have been reading horror books since I was about 10 years old - I am 28 years old now - and all I can say is that Pet Semetary is simply one of the scariest books I have ever read.

I'm sure you already know the basic storyline: there is an ancient graveyard deep in the woods, and if you bury the dead in this sacred ground, they rise to life again. Then you are into one of the most dark, disturbing and unsettling stories ever written.

Even Stephen King himself has said this was the scariest thing he ever wrote!

I am being honest here: there were times when I was frightened to turn the page to read what would happen next. I literally struggled to carry on reading because the whole thing became SO disturbing to me.

I highly recommend this to any fans of the horror genre... but be warned, it is a dark, sad, horrific story... and don't expect a happy ending! You are warned!

Possessed by Ghosts: Exorcisms in the 21st Century
Possessed by Ghosts: Exorcisms in the 21st Century
by Wanda Pratnicka
Price: 9.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish. Don't waste your money., 11 Aug 2010
I was excited when I purchased this book as I thought it was going to be really fascinating, really interesting. A study into possession. But I want to warn you, do not buy this book.....

The author of this book is basically saying that every single problem, illness, personal issue - even our sexuality - is all a result of us being possessed by ghosts.

What I want to ask the author is this: Where are WE, the human being, the soul, in all of this?
Are we not responsible for anything? Do we not play a part in our own lives?

The author single handedly blames every ill in the human race on Ghosts. If you are gay, then it means your possessed by ghosts. If you have cancer, you have a ghost creating a tumour in your body. If you are under-weight, a ghost who was anorexic is possessing you. These are the things this author is asking you to believe.

This book is dangerous stuff in the wrong hands. What person dealing with bad issues wouldn't like to blame somebody else- a supernatural entity? But no- we are also in control of our lives and we can change the way things are. We don't need an exorcism in order to change.

Now I am open minded. I actually believe in spirits/possession, but if we start blaming every issue on being possessed, we are going to lose perspective. We will not take responsibility for our own actions.

I don't recommend this book. I couldn't finish it, some of it was so offensive!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2011 11:43 AM GMT