Profile for Mattyjam > Reviews

Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood
Price: 9.76

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 80s rock albums, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Dr. Feelgood (Audio CD)
This album is a tour de force of classic 80s rock. This is Motley's Appetite For Destruction. Granted, it might not have aged quite as well as Appetite, but the meat and bones of the songs still stand the test of time. There are brilliant riffs, great solos and consistantly great songwriting throughout. The highlights? "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" starts as a beautiful melancholic accoustic number, before launching into a rockier second half and is undoubtedly one of the best Motley songs ever. "S.O.S. (Same Ol Situation)" is an unashamedly fun and catchy rocker, with more hooks than a fishermans tackle kit. "Kickstart My Heart" and "Dr Feelgood" are the albums megahits, both great anthemic rock tracks with chunky riffs and plenty of attitude. The album closer "Time For Change" is a great piano-laden rock ballad, it's cheesy as hell, but a solid track nonetheless.

The whole album is killer - there's not a weak track in sight. Definately one of the best rock albums of the 80s.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2012 12:04 PM BST

Price: 7.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough follow up to a brilliant debut, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Apocalyptic Love (Audio CD)
Apocalyptic Love
Cool riff and a great middle-eight section. Chorus sounds a bit dated, but overall, a decent opener. 7/10

One Last Thrill
A good energy, but the vocals sound a tad contrived and the melody doesn't exactly stand out. 3/10

Standing in the Sun
I love these kind of riffs - they're so Slash. The song reminds me a little of Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith. Decent enough track, although a poor choice for a single. 6/10

You're a Lie
One of the best songs on the album. A real grower. 8/10

No More Heroes
Catchy bridge, great guitar work and a strong chorus. One of the better tracks for sure. 8/10

Halo
Nothing special. Annoying vocals and a poor excuse of a chorus. 3/10

We Will Roam
Not one of the strongest tracks, but the chorus gets stuch in your head after a few listens. 6/10

Anastasia
This is the "epic" song on the album clocking in at just over 6 minutes. It kicks off with a great neo-classical inspired opening riff - I wish the song had focused more on that part. It is undoubtedly the album standout track and has a great chorus but the meandering outro solo doesn't excite me the way his best solos do. 8.5/10

Not for Me
Nice track and refreshing to hear something a bit more solemn and downtempo. The opening verse reminds me of Nirvana's Something In The Way, in terms of the general mood and delivery. Kinda wish the whole song had been like that, rather than launching into another unnecessary solo which adds nothing to the track. 8/10

Bad Rain
Rubbish filler. 1/10

Hard & Fast
Great energy on this one. The riff sounds like a sped-up rip-off of Move To The City, but the anthemic chorus makes up for it. 7/10

Far and Away
Reminiscent of Starlight from the last record but not as good. Kinda drags on towards the end and doesn't really go anywhere. 5/10

Shots Fired
This is a bit of a metal track, with some fast Master of Puppets-style rhythm work and a catchy guitar motif repeated throughout. 8/10

Carolina
Filler. 2/10

Crazy Life
I love this one. Brilliant riff, great verses and a catchy chorus. Reminds me a lot of Walk This Way by Aerosmith. 8/10

Overall I'd give the album 7/10. A bit of a mixed bag and not as strong as his first solo record. However, there's a good mix of fun up-tempo rockers and soulful bluesy ballads here with plenty of cool riffs and blistering solos which is all you really expect from a Slash album.

Storm & Grace Deluxe
Storm & Grace Deluxe
Price: 12.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, haunting, enchanting... An amazing talent., 18 May 2012
This review is from: Storm & Grace Deluxe (Audio CD)
I already purchased Lisa Marie's first two albums when they were released, so I trusted that I'd be in for a good listen with her third album, Storm & Grace. How wrong I was.

Storm & Grace isn't merely a "good" album. It is a beautiful album - very honest, haunting, enchanting and at times masterful.

This talented woman is so underrated by people, purely because they feel she made it based on her father's fame. How wrong they are. Lisa Marie is an artist so talented and visionary that she would have been releasing music with or without her famous family behind her. She certainly deserves recognition and respect in her own right: what she does is nothing short of amazing.

Songs such as "Storm and Grace" "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" "I Was Wrong" and "Close To The Edge" are all exceptional, as is the majority of the album.

I can't recommend it enough: Lisa Marie hasn't sold out to current trends, she hasn't tried to mould herself into something she is not - she is simply content to be herself, and this shines out through her music.

If you want something a little deeper than what you find in the throw-away charts nowadays, then try this album. It is moody, gets under your skin, and you really feel like you take a journey with this woman as you listen to her world unfold through song.

I give it 5 out of 5, because it deserves it.

Anyone rating it less because of her name and her family background are giving this woman a disservice: she is talented in her own right. Try it for yourself, give her time: I promise you will find it hard to be disappointed in what she delivers!

Nightmare (The Third Jack Nightingale Supernatural Thriller) (Jack Nightingale 3)
by Stephen Leather
Price: 11.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare you won't want to wake up from!, 30 Mar 2012
I'm a big fan of Stephen Leathers, especially of his Nightingale triology.
I finished reading Nightmare today, and I have to say, it's my favourite of his novels.
Amazing plot twists (just when you think you know what's coming up, something else arrives to slap you in the face!), unsettling scenes, gritty gangsters and deals with demons.... ! Stephen Leather really tackles it all in this amazing book. I simply can't recommend it enough - whether you love horror, crime, psychological novels - there is something in this novel for everybody, even if that does sound a little cliche!
Go on, give it a go. You won't be disappointed. I'm tempted to read it again myself!

Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson
Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson
by Joseph Vogel
Price: 7.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking, 14 Dec 2011
I have given this two stars, as it is refreshing to see a book on the shelves about Michael Jackson's art, but having read a few chapters it's pretty obvious that any hardcore fan who's followed his career for some time would be able to write a book like this. It might serve as a good read for a casual fan or someone who is new to Michael's work, but the book offers little else of substance for the veteran MJ fan.

Also, I'm not sure if the author frequents MJ message boards, but I recognised a few of the critical analysis parts in the book which suspiciously resembled exact phrases I've come across on online MJ forums. Tut tut.

His to Possess
His to Possess
Price: 2.55

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this enchanting story, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: His to Possess (Kindle Edition)
'His To Possess' has everything - romance, death, spirits and fear. An irrisistable combination. I was disappointed when I finished it, because I could have spent forever in the world that author Su Halfwerk so expertly created. His To Possess tells the story of a woman, who, after finding the property she is working in is haunted, conjures the spirit through a ritual. After raising and communicating with the spirit, she finds herself falling in love with him, believes that he is her soul mate. But how can love survive the divide between life and death? Can it survive?

I absolutely loved this story, it was enchanting, rich, vibrant, so beautifull written. I can't recommend it enough, for people who love romance, or a ghost story, there is simply something for everybody here.

Come Closer
Come Closer
by Sara Gran

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, unnerving - one of my favourites, 3 July 2011
This review is from: Come Closer (Paperback)
I read this book, knowing the general story. I absolutely loved this book - couldn't put it down. It's a sophisticated horror story: not heavy on blood and guts, but rather more of a psychological, creepy, under-your-skin type of story. There were certainly times I felt scared, whilst reading it alone at night! Can't recommend it enough. You'll love it if you enjoy more sinister, eerie stories than blood/violence/typical haunting stories.

This one is truly original.

The Green Man
The Green Man
Price: 1.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read., 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Green Man (Kindle Edition)
I read this story in one sitting - it grabbed my attention from the first opening page. The story focuses on several key themes - premonitions, spirits, love and faith. I found the story both frightening and uplifting, and I felt particularly nervous on certain pages as I have a fear of flying! I think author Lee Mather has done an excellent job here. His writing is sharp, smooth and believable, and his main character is wonderful - I felt as if I knew this person intimately, by the end of this story. If you enjoy a creepy read, you'll love it.

Fahrenheit 9/11 [2004] double disk extra features [DVD]
Fahrenheit 9/11 [2004] double disk extra features [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Moore
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 7.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, can't recommend enough., 2 Jun 2011
It's like a veil being lifted - so much truth, honesty and injustice revealed. I have read a lot about 9/11, about Bush and the Iraq war, and all I can say is this film, for me, pulls together a lot of what I perceive to be the truth into one fantastic DVD. It's moving, it's emotional, and it's accurate. I think Moore did an amazing job.

Chinese Democracy
Chinese Democracy
Offered by Side Two
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What an album..., 29 May 2011
This review is from: Chinese Democracy (Audio CD)
Here's my track by track review:

1. Chinese Democracy
Great, powerful, atmospheric opener. I love the crunchy Nirvana-esque guitar riff, the grungey vocals and the whole production. 9/10

2. Shacklers Revenge
My favourite song on the album. The tempo is infectious, both the rhythm and lead guitar are out of this world, Axl's vocals are tremendous and Ron's tapping on the final chorus is just insanely good. Excellent track. 10/10

3. Better
What an opening trio, this song had hit written all over it. It's ridiculously catchy with a stellar vocal delivery from Axl and a very tasty solo from Robin. 10/10

Street Of Dreams
This reminds me of something that would be on UYI. Beautiful, mournful lyrics, great melody and lovely piano. A highlight. 9/10

If The World
Well, every album has a dud, and this is Chinese Democracy's. Sounds like a bad Bond theme. 3/10

There Was A Time
Epic track, although it does tend to drag on. I don't see the point in three guitar solos. Just let Bucket do the whole thing and cut it down by a minute. 7/10

Catcher In The Rye
This song reminds me of The Beatles, especially with the "na na na" parts. There's a real melancholly to this track which makes it stand out from the rest. Bumblefoot's guitar at the end weaves perfectly with Axl's stunning third and final verse. The whole "on an ordinary day..." part gives me goosebumps. Magic. 10/10

Scraped
Like many others, I loathe the opening part, but it kicks in to a pretty fierce riff-laden rocker with motivational lyrics. The last 30 seconds really kicks off, I wish that part was longer. Cool track. 7/10

Riad N' the Bedouins
Like a nu-metal cover of Immigrant Song. Kinda fun if you're in the mood, but definately one of the weaker moments on the album. 5/10

Sorry
Axl sounds bitter on this and the lyrics really give this song life. Bucket's solo is one of the best on the album too. 7/10

IRS
The most straight forward rocker on the album. Insanely catchy with paranoid lyrics, a strong riff and even stronger vocals. Great track. 8/10

Madagascar
Dramatic and moody track, with woe-is-me lyrics. Another strong track. 8/10

This I Love
Axl sounding like he's writing a song for an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. It takes guts to do something this grand and pompous. A beautiful track with an ill fitting guitar solo. 9/10

Prostitute
This is one of the rare subtle moments on the album. Axl's piano in the verses are gorgeous and the vocal delivery is superb. Last 30 seconds is very soothing and a beautiful conclusion to such a mad album. 7/10
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 4:07 PM GMT