Profile for P. Prise > Reviews

Content by P. Prise

P. Prise "philip-prise" (UK)

Doctor Who : Complete BBC Series 3 Box Set - Limited Edition Lenticular Master Sleeve (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by CC Exeter

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best series ever..., 9 Aug. 2007
Series 3 of new Doctor Who is without doubt one of the strongest in its whole 44 year history. It may actually be the best series ever.

From the wonderful introduction of Marta in episode 1, "Judoon Platoon upon the moon.." the series barely contains a duff scene.

Shakespeare Code and Gridlock are both excellent episode and I challenge any fan not to shed a tear as the Doctor finally tells Martha the truth about his existence.

The Dalek two parter is IMO the best story with the pepperpots of death since their return and a worthy successor to Genesis of Daleks as story that delves deeper into the origins of the Daleks.

The Lazuras Experiment is on the surface a fairly standard Monster of the Week story, albeit one that deals with modern obsession over youth. However by now we know all is not well on Earth, just who is Mr Saxon and why is he so obsessed about Martha, her family and the Doctor...?

42 is probably the weakest story of the whole series yet even that is unfair as its very enjoyable as a throwaway adventure and again it adds more to the building sense of anticipation this series had with the revelation Martha's mother is working for Saxon, not good news...

Human Nature and Family of Blood may just be one of the greatest Doctor Who stories of all with outstanding performances from Harry Lyod and Jessica Hynes and indeed from Freema Ageyman who excels beyond the levels of Billie in this story.

Blink as the Doctor lite story is terrific frightfest.

Then we come to the final three episodes. The end of Utopia is the best cliffhanger in the series history and marks the return of the Master in guise of John Simm. From Murray Golds terrific regeneration score this is where the series just goes beyond magnificent...

The Sound of Drums has become without doubt my single favourite episode of Doctor Who ever and that is largely down to the one and only John Simm as the Master. Its one of the best performances I've ever seen on TV and I can't praise him enough, he steals the ENTIRE series. The Telegraph referred to him as "a national treasure" and its really hard to find fault in that assesment.

Last Of Time Lords left me feeling a bit numb at first, wasn't sure about the resolution or the fate of the Master. Nn furter viewings I've come to love it especially as its probably the most dark and apocalyptic episode in the series history. The revelation as to the real identity of the Toclafane is particularly chilling.

In all an outstanding series, visually big and ambitious with storylines to match the ambition. Murray Golds scores for the Master are more movie scores than TV scores.

Series 4 has a lot to live up too.

Live Aid [DVD] [1985]
Live Aid [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Bob Dylan
Offered by claires_media_store

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Show on Earth, 14 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Live Aid [DVD] [1985] (DVD)
First, lets clear up why there are songs missing - The footage simply no longer exists. Its already been well explained but here goes:
Prior to 13 July 1985 Bob Geldof had said he did not want the concert recorded as it was to be a one off never to be repeated event. The BBC ignored him and recorded it anyway, minus most of The Who set as a power failure within the BBC trucks meant their set was only seen within Wembly. Alas along the way the Beeb deleted some of the tapes in the same way they deleted programmes like Dad's Army, Swap Shop etc.
ABC in America deleted the entire concert. The only footage from America is that recorded by MTV which is littered with commercial breaks and VJ inserts hence the reason some of the songs are missing, but at least its there.
The DVD at 10+ hours is excellent value for money and I found myself getting caught in the emotion of the day even now.
A true defining moment in our history finally available for us to relive.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2011 4:57 PM GMT

Permission To Land
Permission To Land
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll be rocking 'til the sun goes down, 26 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Permission To Land (Audio CD)
This ranks as one of the greatest albums I have ever owned. Every song sounds like it could be a top 10 smash, it fills me with unashamed joy. I've finally realised what's been missing from the current music scene- FUN. Within 30 seconds of putting this in my CD player I was playing air guitar, for that alone Justin,Dan,Frankie and Ed deserve every success. My parents once told me of the sheer joy of seeing Queen in concert in the early 1970s, I finally know exactly what they were talking about.
The best songs are "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" and "Givin' up", anthemic stadium rock at its most flambouyant. There are no poor songs.
Some people slate them as a joke, well if they are -and I doubt it- is there anything wrong with that? Why should music be 'serious' all the time? Freddie Mercury, speaking about those early Queen days in the 1970s said "I looked ridiculous- but it worked". It still does.