Profile for Kyal > Reviews

Content by Kyal

Kyal

Toshiba HDWC130EW3J1 Stor.E Canvio 3TB USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black/White
Offered by Ballicom International

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value with USB 3.0!, 4 July 2013
Got the 3TB (Black and white) for £76.99 which is at least £10 cheaper than the competition (July 2013).

The drive is very quiet and is only really audible when you first power it up. It is formatted in NTFS and the usable space is 2.72TB.

The 3TB version uses a Toshiba DT01ABA300 3.5" HDD with SATA 3.0, a spindle speed of 5,940 rpm and 32MB of cache. The 2TB model spins at 5,700 rpm, so it is a little slower, so you get something a little extra for your money than just another 1TB of space over the 2TB model. According to the HDD's spec sheet, the power consumption is 5.4w, and 4.2w when idle. (4.2w and 3.3w for the 2TB version)

If your computer is fairly old (mine is about 4 years old), it won't have USB 3.0. I was content to use it with USB 2, but I was curious, being the computer nerd I am, so I bought a PCI-E USB 3.0 card on ebay for less than £8. I'm glad I did as I wasn't expecting it to be much quicker to be honest, but I was wrong! Copying a 2.25GB file using USB 2.0 took 1 minute 21 seconds, while USB 3.0 was a mere 35 seconds!

Overall, getting the 3TB is a no brainer if you need lots of space and you are willing to spend that little extra (about £14) over the 2TB version. The Toshiba Canvio family seems to be great value and they have HDDs with slightly faster spindle speeds compared to most of the competition over the standard 5,400 rpm.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2013 4:31 PM BST

Russell Hobbs 14440 Stylis Kettle - 1.7 L
Russell Hobbs 14440 Stylis Kettle - 1.7 L

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasted for a year and a half, 18 July 2012
I bought this as a budget kettle as it was only £12.99 at another retailer in 2010. For £12.99 it wasn't too bad, but at the current price of £33 (really Amazon?!) stay away!
It was already leaking when pouring, but then after a year and a half of service, the lid broke. I pressed the button and the top half of the lid popped off revealing the lower half with the spring and locking parts. On the upper part of the lid, the plastic around the screws had failed! I always though the grey plastic looked cheap, so I should have suspected something like this would happen.

Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars The successor to the great 8800GT!, 23 Oct 2011
I have had the card for a week now and it has enabled me to play every game on my PC at 1920x1200 at maximum settings with framerates over 30 fps (STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Dead Island, Modern Warfare 2) Although none of those games really stress this card as they are older DirectX 9 titles. According to Nvidia's beta performance guide, the GTX 560 Ti is capable of running Battlefield 3 at high settings in 1920x1080 resolution which should be a good indicator of the card's performance.

The Asus 1GB GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII is currently the best value card around, like the best selling 8800GT before it. If you have read the reviews of this card from hardware sites, most of them will tell you that the ATI Radeon HD 6950 is slightly faster and in most cases it is, however at the time of the reviews the prices of the 560 Ti and the HD 6950 were the same, or the 560 Ti was more expensive.

This is not the case in the UK and you'll be lucky to find a HD 6950 with 1GB for under £200. I got my Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII for £160.48 (circa early October 2011). Currently on Amazon (23/10/11), you can get a:

Asus GTX 560 Direct CU (non Ti) with the older DirectCU cooler for £148 which is almost £20 cheaper which is great if you are on a budget.
Asus GTX 560 Direct CU II (non Ti) which comes factory overclocked at 850MHz for £167.28 which is a few pence cheaper than the 560 Ti.
Asus GTX 560 Ti DirectCuII TOP is factory overclocked at 900MHz for £188.19, which is £20 more expensive than my regular ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII (clocked at 830MHz)

If you can afford to spend another £20 over the non Ti version and you know to to overclock, the 560 Ti represents the best value/performance ratio. The main reason is the 560 Ti has an additional 48 stream processors, 384 vs 336 for the 560. So while you can overclock the non Ti at 1GHz to match the speed of the 560 Ti, the 560 Ti at that speed would be close to a GTX 570 which costs around £270! So if you know how to overclock, then is no point paying an extra £20 for a factory overclocked card, as the hardware is identical between the 560 Ti and the TOP version, the only difference being a few bytes in the card's firmware! Of course the TOP would be guaranteed and tested to run at 900MHz, but you would have to be VERY unlucky to get a card that wouldn't run at 900MHz as that is a fairly conservative overclock. Using the MSI Afterburner utility to overclock is a doddle and there are plenty of tutorials online for you novices out there.

My card is currently clocked at 950MHz (might overclock to 1GHz after I get a new case with better airflow) with memory at 4.7GHz (1,175MHz x4) and the card is very quiet while gaming with average temps of 65 to 70c. Although the DirectCUII cooler is more efficient (it keeps the GPU at least 15c cooler than the standard single fan Nvidia cooler), it does not exhaust the hot air outside the case. If your case does not have intake and exhaust fans then this would be the only real issue with this card. The card also features it's own heatsink over the MOSFETs and high quality Japanese capacitors and voltage components which all helps to maximise the card's overclocking potential.

The word quality sums up this card, it feels solid as it has a metal spine to keep the card from sagging and the shroud around the heatsink is metallic if you were wondering. I am surprised that Asus can produce a card with is own custom designed PCB plus heatsink and dual fans in such quality, while other card manufacturers pump out the bog standard nvidia reference design (like the PNY card I was looking at before discovering the Asus) at the same prices!

Overall I am thrilled with this card and I am looking forward to giving it a workout once Battlefield 3 and Skyrim is released.

Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB 32MB 5400RPM 3.5 inch SATA-II Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB 32MB 5400RPM 3.5 inch SATA-II Internal Hard Drive - OEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Packaging horrors are back!!! (But the HDD is 5 stars!), 10 May 2011
I thought they had solved the packaging problems, that is why I ordered from Amazon. I even chose "Traditional" thinking it would be properly protected.

I received my drive this morning and was shocked to see the drive in Amazon's standard fold over cardboard normally used for a thick book. No bubble wrap, with the HDD in the standard plastic shell Samsung HDDs usually ship with. The only "protection" the drive got were the small domes on the shell and most of them were already crushed!

Worse still, I waited over 6 days for this hard disk to arrive, so I'm really not happy with Amazon (which is a shame as they are usually very good).

In short, this is the last time I buy a OEM HDD from Amazon! I will be buying drives from eBuyer from now on.

One star for what Amazon thinks is adequate packaging!

---- Edit 23/10/11: 6 months later, the drive is still working so I guess I was lucky despite the poor packaging. Although I have given 1 star in this review, it was for Amazon's service, the actual HDD is 5 stars. I would buy another without hesitation! (But not from Amazon directly...)