Profile for M. Hodgetts > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Monstrous
Monstrous

3.0 out of 5 stars On it's own, quite a good read but..., 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Monstrous (Kindle Edition)
...it's a serial. I felt like the book was coming to a climax and looked forward to finding out what the strange cult was about and why Henry's family had been targeted but no. It turns out it's a Kindle Serial what ever that is and will probably go on and on like an American drama series until the ratings die off and there is a final, clumsy and hastily contrived ending.

I did enjoy the book but it's so hard to find a single book these days that has a beginning, a middle and and end all in the same 'cover'. I lose patience when I've been cheated out of an ending and I shan't be continuing this series.

As far as the book itself is concerned though, I liked the scenario of daemons, angels, heaven, hell and purgatory and even though I'm not remotely religious it entertained me and engrossed me but I can't get away from the fact that I may have to read many like it before I am finally enlightened and I can't be doing with that.

Someone, somewhere, please write a book that ends.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2014 12:40 AM BST

Sea to Summit Drylite Towel - Eucalyptus Green, Large (60X120 cm)
Sea to Summit Drylite Towel - Eucalyptus Green, Large (60X120 cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent when space is limited -- and even if it's not., 8 Dec 2013
Although I haven't taken this camping yet I did try it after a bath at home. I washed it first as recommended (no fabric conditioner) and after a bath I tried to use it as a normal towel; it's not a normal towel. I put it round me and tried to have a good scrub but it wasn't having any of it...however, I was dry.

It's a strange sensation as using this gives you the impression that you are trying to dry yourself with a piece of velvet clingfilm (if such a thing could exist) and you don't believe it is drying you at all, then all of a sudden you are dry.

It worked well in a humid bathroom in the winter and I can imagine it will be brilliant after a couple of washes and then used in warm dry weather after a camping shower.

I tour on a motor cycle and space is at a premium, a normal bath towel takes up a LOT of room but this takes up almost no space at all; you could fit it into your jacket pocket.

Really good piece of kit although I can't yet vouch for it's endurance, time will tell on that one.

One more thing, I dried it in front of the fire tonight, it took about twenty minutes, would be much the same on a sunny summers day.

Not cheap but not that much more expensive than a normal, quality towel.

First Activation
First Activation

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, I think the author got bored., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: First Activation (Kindle Edition)
With such a sudden ending and with so many things left unclear I believe the author just got bored with writing it and decided to stop.

There are a lot of trivial descriptions of drinking and eating in between bouts of oddly interesting carve-ups. The two main players, brothers from the military, seem to be both at once intelligent and adept then in the next moment fail to see the obvious; they are truly inconsistent.

Many of the situations are so contrived. For example the brothers fly from the UK to America wherein the disaster happens and against all the odds manage to bump into the lesbian lover of the niece of the author of the destruction and they are all old friends; unbelievable, literally.

An interesting concept but not handled too well.

I'm sure all will come clear in the next book if there is one, or perhaps the one after that but I will never know as I'm not awaiting a sequel. Glad I borrowed this on Prime.

Guest Spot for Tenor Saxophone: Jazz Solos
Guest Spot for Tenor Saxophone: Jazz Solos
by Arr: Lesley Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy, 24 Nov 2013
You need to be pretty good to get the best out of this book. The songs are quite fast and the slower ones are in some diffcult keys (five flats for example in one case). Will test you, so no bad thing.

Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program, White
Panasonic SD-2500 WXC Automatic Breadmaker with Gluten Free Program, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 24 Nov 2013
Bought this months ago and have used it almost every day since. Haven't bought a loaf of bread since I got it. Easy to use, easy to clean (really, really easy) and makes lovely bread. Loaves are a little large so you will put on weight if you eat the same number of slices as a shop-bought loaf. Worth it.

OptiMate 4 Battery charger and conditioner
OptiMate 4 Battery charger and conditioner
Offered by 2WheelJunkie

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-complicated, 24 Nov 2013
It charges batteries, 'nuff said. However it has ten LED's but an almost indecipherable instruction booklet (in several languages), you just have to plug it in and hope for the best. A better instruction book would have done wonders for this device where they didn't mix the instructions for normal use with those for CAN BUS devices (whatever they are). Fortunately there are better guidlines written by users on the web, Optimate would do well to read them and use them instead of their own.

Muddyfox Cycling Shirt Mens Blue/Black Extra Lge
Muddyfox Cycling Shirt Mens Blue/Black Extra Lge

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, not so cheerful, 24 Nov 2013
Basically these shirts are just odd-looking leisure-wear. There is no moisture wicking to speak of and apart from the pocket at the back you would do just as well wearing an ordinary T shirt. I bought two at the same time but have only worn one and then only once. They are cheap but then so is an Asda T shirt and I'd recommend that instead.

Optimus Svea Stove
Optimus Svea Stove
Offered by Total Access (UK) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Old technology but very functional, 24 Nov 2013
This review is from: Optimus Svea Stove (Sports)
I used this during the autumn on a motorcycling holiday in Wales and it worked very well. I had a problem originally because the instructions specifically advise against the use of forecourt petrol but don't say why. Coleman fuel is commonly used in this type of device but it is ridiculously expensive and not all that easy to find. In the end I bought five litres of Aspen fuel and used some of that -- both Coleman and Aspen are examples of white gasoline or naptha and have no additives, unlike petrol.

Now I have the Aspen fuel I will use it until it has gone but like many others who have bought this stove I shall start to use normal petrol as I think the only downside might be the smell.

Lighting can be spectacular -- this is definitely an outside stove -- and I got many looks as I brought the device to life. Pour a small amount of fuel into the little depression around the valve and light it, this heats the petrol and causes petrol gas to pressurize the unit which is then lit at the valve. I defy anyone to put just enough petrol in the depression to light the stove and not have any spill over the side which, when lit, causes the whole stove to be covered in flames for a short time. Once pressurized and functioning you will get about fifteen minutes of slightly noisy fire before it is necessary to refill but it's cheap to run and you can get petrol anywhere and of course it especially useful if you are on a motorbike holiday as you never run out of fuel for it, no more searching late-night for Camping Gaz canisters.

There are probably better petrol stoves out there but none so simple and reliable as this one. If you want instant heat and always camp near a campsite shop that sells camping gas then this probably isn't for you but if you want long-term reliability and even 'just a bit of fun' then buy this one, even if only for a back-up stove that lights anywhere.

Optimus Terra He Cookset Panset - 2lt
Optimus Terra He Cookset Panset - 2lt
Offered by BIKESTER

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality kit, 24 Nov 2013
I like this veery much. It's hardy and well-built. One of the pans has a heat sink on the base that works by sinking more heat INTO the pan rather than away from it. I use the pans on my Optimus Svea stove and they worl well together. Nicely packaged there is also room inside the carry-case for small items (padded though to prevent scratches.

Eden's Revenge (The Eden Paradox Series Book 3)
Eden's Revenge (The Eden Paradox Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably had enough for now., 23 Oct 2013
I have enjoyed this series of books, they have kept me entertained and engrossed for many hours and I was looking forward to finally tying all the ends together in Eden's Revenge -- not going to happen.

I suppose I assumed it was a trilogy so I probably set myself up for a bit of frustration.

I realised as I reached 80% (reading on Kindle) that things were not going to be finished in this book and I would have to wait for another episode before the increasing slippery Louise gets her just deserts. It for this reason that I give it four stars rather than five as I'm not sure I can face another several hundred pages in which Louise manages to detect every attempt to kill her no matter how enhanced her adversary is -- basically the character is beginning to get on my nerves. Even when she was killed, a clone popped up to annoy us all over again.

According to Barry Kirwan's website, the last episode will be out in the Spring of next year by which time, perhaps, my annoyance with the above will have evaporated and my curiosity to know the Spider's purpose will kill the proverbial cat (Louise?). We shall see.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2013 3:56 AM GMT