Profile for Jimmy D > Reviews

Content by Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Zulu Nato Nylon Watch Straps, 5 Ring Stainless Steel Hardware (STEALTH, 22mm)
Zulu Nato Nylon Watch Straps, 5 Ring Stainless Steel Hardware (STEALTH, 22mm)
Offered by Monkey Swag
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 23 April 2014
This gets 5 stars from me. I have bought several nato's from eBay for my seiko sk007 and have always been a bit disappointed. Poor coatings on the metal components meaning they look tatty quickly, thin straps and fraying are all common features to the three I already own. This though is the bees knees.

Nice thick strap that feels and looks sturdy and certainly compliments the weight of the SK007... It just looks and feels right. The holes are precise and regular in size and distance. The metal work on the buckle and strap holders again feels well made and compliments the watch.

The best compliment I can pay is that once I finish writing this review I'm going to buy another two and throw my old ones out. They really are very good indeed and if you need one, you won't go wrong with one of these.

Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen Gift Box x 48 Colours
Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen Gift Box x 48 Colours
Price: 81.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 May 2013
Bought these on a lightening deal and having had some of these pens before, I knew the quality would not disappoint. I would say the only let down is that the skin tone colours simply aren't there, they are too saturated. However it's still a very useful set and great to help bring sketches to life quickly and without mess.

The Soccer Goalkeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide for Players and Coaches
The Soccer Goalkeeping Handbook: The Essential Guide for Players and Coaches
by Alex Welsh

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 30 May 2013
Not very good, tatty condition and overpriced (it had a charity shop sticker saying 2.50 on, much less than I paid!). The content is more drills for a coach than techniques for a player. I couldn't recommend this book.

Leuchtturm 145mm x 210mm A5 Medium Dots Notebook - Tobacco
Leuchtturm 145mm x 210mm A5 Medium Dots Notebook - Tobacco
Price: 12.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 29 May 2013
I have used moleskines up to now but might well consider changing after this purchase. The organisation of the book is excellent, it feels like a moleskines 2.0 with the index and the numbered pages whilst keeping the wallet and elastic band. The dot matrix design is extremely helpful when wire framing and sketching, allowing me to work accurately without dominating the page as a traditional grid print would. I would certainly recommend this to any UX professional or designer as an excellent sketchbook for jotting thoughts and ideas in to.

Looney Tunes - The Complete Golden Collection (Volumes 1-6) [DVD] [2011]
Looney Tunes - The Complete Golden Collection (Volumes 1-6) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Bob Clampett
Offered by EagleDVD
Price: 38.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets get these reviews back on point..., 29 May 2013
After reading all the one star reviews from the people from HUKD I though it about time I put in my review for this product. The sense of entitlement from these people, the majority of whom will of ordered multiple sets only to flip them on eBay anyway, is astonishing. I have had similar experiences via HUKD and amazon (kenwood kmix anyone?) but you just get on with it, it's not the end of the world.

And the fact remains that even at around 40 this box set still offers remarkable value. Hours an hours of content, featuring some of the finest animators, artists, voice talent and characters the genre has ever produced. Of its time, most certainly, it also offers a fascinating insight in to social stereotypes of yesteryear and how different cultures were viewed across the early to middle part of the 20th century, certainly itching America anyway.

But the best thing about it is the fun. Finding the little gems that you my not have seen since you were a child and having those memories flood back (duck season, rabbit season, duck season, etc. for me ) as well as finding more you will not have seen. Lovingly crafted, beautifully animated, it's a joy. I bough these for my baby son as I wanted to share these with him as he grows older, instead of the 3D identikit cartoons that are broadcasted these days and, even though it will be a while yet, I quite literally can't wait!

They are timeless classics and worth the price. To those HUKD people who attempted to buy them for legitimate reasons (for a niece/nephew/son/daughter/etc) I feel for you but... Go on. Spend the extra 30 if you can. Don't let that get in the way of the entertainment, fun and, dare I say it, educational value this box set offers. Take them to a place where everything doesn't have to be a 'helpful' engine or a 'safety first' fireman, the modern cartoons with that bloody life lesson woven in to every episode (Ben and holly aside :)). Let them enjoy the fun of a rabbit in a matador cape beating up a bull in Seville, or a duck with a lisp saving the world...let them enjoy the magic of looney tunes.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2013 1:17 PM BST

David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D5100
David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D5100
by David Busch
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The more you read, the more you learn..., 22 April 2013
I bought this primarily to go in my camera bag and assist me when out and about with my new camera and when i am unsure of the correct settings for the scene I am trying to capture. It is very in depth, I have not read it cover to cover but the specifics I have looked up have been easy to find and it really does over the subjects/topics in a lot of detail.

I think that as a noob, this isn't one of those hand holding idiot guide books with lots of illustration...this gives you the overview of the camera, sure, but it tells you what everything does, all the adjustments and how they work in conjunction with one another. The table at the back is very handy for an amateur like me, which I can consult quickly, find the type of scene I'm trying to shoot and get some broad settings advice for the best picture.

It's not going to teach you much at all about composition, when to use certain shutter speeds, etc but it is going to tell you how to get the very best out of your equipment. I'm going to take a star off because I feel it could have been laid out better and had at least a few illustrations here and there as it can become a tad monotonous as a read. I use the 'master your DSLR' ebook by betterbooks on my ipad (which i really recommend for noobs like me) and, combined with this, they complement each other very well indeed... I just think if this book could be laid out like the ebook, it would be so much better.

This book is still very useful and its just my criticism, as a designer, of the way it's put together. The content itself is top notch.

Kata Pro-Light PL-C-STRAP Strap for Camera
Kata Pro-Light PL-C-STRAP Strap for Camera
Price: 13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 22 April 2013
Bought to combine with my kata DR-465 backpack, this does the job handsomely. More comfortable than my stock Nikon strap, the primary reason I bought this is so that I could use it on its own or, via the clip system, attached to my backpack. I can say it works just as it should, reducing the weight on your neck when carrying for long periods which is a real relief. It is well made as you would expect from kata.

On its own it would still be something I would recommend but if you have a kata backpack I would say, with the clip system and the comfort that brings, its an essential addition.

G-Shock Men's Quartz Watch with Grey Dial Digital Display and White Resin Strap GLX-5600-7ER
Offered by TimeWatchShop
Price: 78.00

5.0 out of 5 stars G-Shocks I got a crazy dumb collection..., 22 April 2013
What more can I say. A G-Shock for <50, the tide and moon functions aren't really something I'm going to use but nice to have. The screen and light are clear and bright, the stop watch/timer functions are all clear and easy to use. It has a slight sheen to it so it doesn't look like it will discolour or get grubby easily and I like the white colour for casual outfits. And it has that G-Shock durability which is why I choose these watches in the first place.

All in all, a really pleased customer.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 April 2013
This has been an invaluable addition to my camera kit, the best bit I have bought tbh. I can now take my iPad with me on photographic trips and review my photos by removing the card from my D5100 and combining it with this nifty bit of kit. I'm still learning photography so this really helps me see my pictures in a better format than the attached LCD screen on my camera.

I can see the errors I have made so understand where I have gone wrong and also use snapseed to make subtle adjustments to my pictures where mistakes have been made. I can also then throw them on to Dropbox or Facebook or delete those that haven't come out well, which is are to judge on the camera LCD screen.

If you have an iPad and a digital camera this little gadget, combined with snapseed app, is just brilliant. Really highly recommended.

Kata DR-465 DPS Backpack - Separate Camera/Essentials Compartments + Elements Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking bit of kit, 22 April 2013
I would regard this as a small rucksack, similar to those I use when riding my bike. It's exceptionally well made, you can just tell that this product is going to last. It has plenty of pockets for memory cards, etc and is well designed. It's not going to take a lot in the top compartment but I use it when I take my kit away for a weekend. I can fit a manual, iPad, various accessories, camera and lens, chargers, etc. still room for another lens. I can just about fit a 500ml bottle of water in the area the tripod would fit, so its perfect for a day out.

It's compact size is a bonus as it makes you think about what you pack and keeps the weight down as you have to be selective. I take my iPad and adapter so I can view the photos I've taken whilst having a cuppa and. And I find this a real good feature, the fact it just about fits in the top compartment. Certainly not for the professional but perfect or the casual photographer looking for a bag suitable for day trips with 1 or 2 lenses.

If i ever needed a larger bag I would only buy kata which is about the best recommendation I could give. Top quality, good price, excellent design. Go or it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3