Profile for Champignon > Reviews

Eldest
Eldest
by Christopher Paolini

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read..., 16 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Eldest (Paperback)
I was in WHSmiths desperately looking for a good book to read to take on my flight- when Eldest caught my eye. It was totally by chance, and I had never heard of the author= however it had a dragon on the front cover, and as I favour Fantasy- I thought I couldnt really go wrong! In my haste I forgot to check if it was in a series- which of course it was- this was the scond book...so I haven't actually read the first in the Inheritence trilogy, entitled Eragon. Initially I thought that this may pose a problem , which thankfully it did not- and I was quickly swept away with Eragon and his adventure.

As far as the story goes- Eldest has loads to offer and has all the elements of a good fantasy novel. I do however, think the writing is a bit rushed at times- and perhaps lacking in real depth. Paolini has crammed and crammed, which of course leads to excitement and a fast pace, but left me personally feeling a bit dissatisfied with certain factors of the plot.

I really enjoyed the development of various characters, and I like the fact that Paolini entwined philosophy and controversial ways of thinking with Eragons training and journey to maturity. It is trully captivating.

Obviously, the central themes to the book aren't new, and there are definate likenings to other established fantasy works- but I still really enjoyed reading it. This isn't a masterpiece by any means- but in places has the most beautiful imagery and writing- which make for a gripping read...give it a chance.