Profile for Dotty May > Reviews

Content by Dotty May

Dotty May "May" (Sheffield)

Page: 1 | 2
As Easy As Pi: Stuff about numbers that isn't (just) maths
As Easy As Pi: Stuff about numbers that isn't (just) maths
by Jamie Buchan
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining look at numbers!, 20 July 2009
Having always been a bit of a maths geek and after reading other books in this series I thought that this one was worth a look too. It includes all kinds of entertaining trivia on numbers, from uses in TV programmes (the fake telephone number section is funny) to the role of numbers in religion. I found it quite educational and my parents also really liked it.

The Best of Wainwright
The Best of Wainwright
by Alfred Wainwright

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but confusing!, 20 July 2009
This review is from: The Best of Wainwright (Hardcover)
Wainwright has the reputation of being the greatest fell walker, so naturally I decided to take a collection of his best walks along with me on my holiday in the Lakes. However, though the detail is quite astounding and the information on the various summits etc was without a doubt fascinating and worth carrying the book for, I would strongly recommend that no one relies solely on this book to guide them on their walks. Without my OS map I would have been completely lost, due to the changes that have been made to the landscape since the maps were first written and also the lack of direct instructions. Having said this, there is nothing better than this book for providing walkers with interesting bits of info and for detailing the many possible routes up a mountain.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!, 20 July 2009
The Time Traveller's Wife is one of my favourite books, it is so well written that you almost believe that Henry can time travel! The developing love story of Clare and Henry is both heartbreaking and wonderful. Don't be put off by the confusing structure of the book, you quickly get to grips with it and the reward is worth the effort!

Girl At The Lion d'Or
Girl At The Lion d'Or
by Sebastian Faulks
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A captivating read, 20 July 2009
This review is from: Girl At The Lion d'Or (Paperback)
I've enjoyed almost every Sebastian Faulks book that I've read so far so I wasn't surprised that I loved this one too. Faulks has a way of bringing you into the story and making the characters so believable that you don't want to put the book down and leave their story unfinished. Anne's stoicism and determination to live her life is quite uplifting. Coupled with this realism there is the historical backdrop which Faulks adds to his novels, which gives them a place in history and a greater resonance. A classic novel, which I would recommend to anyone!!

A Quiet Belief In Angels
A Quiet Belief In Angels
by R.J. Ellory
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping - but a bit on the unbelievable side!, 18 Jun 2008
I did really enjoy this book in that I found it difficult to put down until I had finished it as you really wanted to find out who done it! However, I did think that it dragged a bit towards the end and the plot got a bit wild. Though having said that I would recommend it to a friend as the writing is good, the narrative style is really interesting, and the plot genuinely keeps you on the edge of your seat. Overall, well worth a look!

I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot From School
I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot From School
by Caroline Taggart
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What is photosynthesis?!, 18 Jun 2008
Apparently, like loads of other people, I go around thinking that I still know everything that I learnt at school, when in fact, I bet I can't remember half of it, and it wasn't even that long ago! When someone actually asked me to tell them what photosynthesis was I found that I no longer knew anything more than 'it's how plants live and something to do with carbon dioxide and green stuff in leaves'! And more disturbingly all my basic maths skills have also got lost somewhere in the depths of time. This book is a godsend to anyone who wants to be reminded of all these skills so that you no longer feel like a dunce at the pub quiz or just generally really, and it also has loads of things that I was never even taught at school which are of genuine interest. It looks so nice on your shelf too that its a good one to buy for awkward relatives and friends - as long as they won't be insulted!!

The Mums' Book: For the Mum Who's Best at Everything
The Mums' Book: For the Mum Who's Best at Everything
by Alison Maloney
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift, 25 Jan 2008
Such a good gift for Mums young and old, it really would suit anyone. My mum loved the recipes and even found the stories about mums hilarious, perfect when you're not sure what to buy for their birthday or Mother's Day.

The Book of Bunny Suicides
The Book of Bunny Suicides
by Andy Riley
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 22 Nov 2007
Not much more than a book of illustrations, but worth it all the same. I almost didn't give it away as the gift I had intended it to be because it was so funny! An ingenious collection of ways for bunnies to meet their ends, but should we really be asking the question - just why are these bunnies all so unhappy?!

Love In The Present Tense
Love In The Present Tense
by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving tale of 'forever love', 22 Nov 2007
I wasn't sure about this book when I first started reading it, the narrative style is quite different to an average novel, but once you get used to this and the characters start to develop it's un-put-downable. Now I think one of the strengths of the book is the interesting way that the story is told through different characters eyes at different stages of their lives. This builds the tension as the novel progresses and you share the discoveries with the characters. Heartwarming and moving this is also a quick read for those that don't have all that much time on their hands.

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
by Lionel Shriver

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 31 Oct 2006
I didn't really like the way this book was written, it was a bit wordy. But it was full of interesting ideas and made you think about things.

Page: 1 | 2