Profile for Mandrake > Reviews

Tropic Thunder - Single Disc [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Stiller
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this supposed to be funny?, 3 Feb. 2009
I watched this on a plane coming back from Australia, so I probably wasn't in the best environment for it. The demise of Steve Coogan's character and the caricatures of various scenes from the film Platoon, were amusing. However, most of this film was purile garbage.

I just cannot understand why so many people seemed to find this film funny. I'd rather have spent the time watching Ali G clips from the late nineties on YouTube. At least that was hilarious. Had he been in it, maybe Sasha Baron Cohen could have saved this film from most of the cast.........

Tribe
Tribe
Offered by cdworld-ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, 27 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Tribe (Audio CD)
I held off buying this album for some time; mainly due to some of the more negative comments I've read about it. Now, after biting the bullet, I've realised I missed out in 2003.

This is, for me, a great album. There's not a single track I don't like. Yes, it's not Operation Mindcrime, but hey; do I care! While that was a great album, it's very hard trying to repeat that kind of success without the music sounding cliched and unimaginative.

One aspect of Queensryche that I have a lot of time for is their constant evolution. Each album is different; some in a more subtle fashion than others, but this is a band that seems to experiment and try something different with each new release. For the diehard Mindcrime fans this may not be enough, but for people who are prepared to move on it's great.

Finally, with recent events in America and the subsequent unleashing of George W Bushes 'solution' to the terrorist threat, the lyrical content of this album is very much on the money and couldn't be more relevant to the times that we are living in.

I rest my case for a five star rating.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Two-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Boredom Defined, 4 Oct. 2007
This film recently helped me get to sleep during a long haul flight. For all the wrong reasons, it was obviously just what I needed at the time.

The story could have come from the pen of a not-particularly talented five year-old. I'm sure most infant school teachers probably read better efforts on an average weekday. It just went from bizarre to plain stupid. Whilst Jonney Depp was able to at least make "Dead Mans Chest" watchable most of the time, he couldn't save this debacle from itself.

Mastering Oracle PL/SQL : Practical Solutions
Mastering Oracle PL/SQL : Practical Solutions
by Connor McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 9 Feb. 2006
As someone who's kept up to date with PL/SQL over the last 5 years, this book didn't give me absolutely shed loads that was new regarding the language, but it gave me lots of new ideas on how best to use it. The DBA and Web packages sections were both extremely useful. The book has also enhanced my understanding of PL/SQL features I've barely used, such as the object oriented capabilities, and given me other ideas to take on board.
One of this book's strengths is explaining 'thinking outside the box' ideas and insights for squeezing every ounce of use from PL/SQL. One useful trick it's taught me is the ability to tie job submission to a transaction via a trigger. This would allow you to launch a task requiring major processing from a simple transaction, without having to wait for the task to complete. If the simple transaction is rolled back, the job will not be submitted. It's kind of obvious if you think about it, but personally I never did. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. This book is full of tips like that.
Every chapter is clearly and concisely written; the big focus being on proof by example. Anyone who's not brushed up on PL/SQL since Oracle 7 and 8 would do well to give it a read, as it covers all the notable new features of the language up to 10g. For example, if bulk collection and bulk binding are unfamiliar concepts to you and you're still using Cursor For Loops and row by row processing, you would really benefit from reading this book (along with your code performance).
I've not yet reached the section on debugging, but given the abilities of this author to come up with useful surprises, I'm looking forward to what I might find. I'm guessing it won't be the obvious. ;o)

Expert Oracle Database Architecture - 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions
by Thomas Kyte

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely useful and informative, 3 Jan. 2006
I think you will find this book extremely useful and enlightening whether you've been involved with Oracle for years, or are a relative newcomer (although it would help to have a basic knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL beforehand). Its treatment of the subect matter is clear, concise, well-explained, and will save you hours of documentation trawling and experimentation.
Although it's aimed primarily at developers, it would also be helpful to anybody trying to learn the DBA side of the job, as its explanation of the Oracle database architecture is the best and clearest I've seen so far. It's also all in one place; not spread out amongst half a dozen different manuals.
I think if you're interested in being all you can be as an Oracle developer, you should buy this book. If you're a contractor and have an interest in giving contracting a good name, you should buy this book. If you're mainly a backup and recovery DBA who doesn't venture into the archtitecture that much, you should buy this book. If you want more of an understanding of how the Oracle database works, you should buy this book.
Alternatively, if you'd like to give people like me more opportunities to rake in the cash by fixing performance problems, then please don't buy this book. ;o)

Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Hulk [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Eric Bana
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars The most abysmal film of 2003 (& it's got stiff competitors), 20 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Hulk [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I enjoy a good action film, but I also enjoy films which have great depth and storylines. However, action films that attempt to go too deep tend to be very pretentious and laughable affairs (apart from the Matrix - the original only).
For me personally, a comic book superhero adaptation is always going to be a bit of a no-brainer action flick. To attempt to make it anything else is, in my opinion, an act of absolute folly. Unfortunately, "The Hulk" took this route, which resulted in one of the most boring and tedious films I've ever seen, punctuated by cartoon-like bursts of action and special effects. It takes more than this to make a good action film; especially when the over-reliance on CGI lends such an unrealistic air to the proceedings. It was also about an hour longer than it really needed to be.
Apart from boredom, what message did this film leave me with? Oh yes: "People sometimes get angry, loose control, and bad things happen.". Well, I'm just overwhelmed by such a thought provoking sentiment..........
Don't waste your time on this film! It does NOT live up to the hype.