Profile for Riaan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Not Without A Fight
Not Without A Fight

5.0 out of 5 stars a Brilliant comeback, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Not Without A Fight (Audio CD)
Wow, Kerrang! Magazine gave this review two K's. Unbelievable. This is a blinder of a comeback - it's a throwback to the NFG we all know and love; ridiculously catchy tunes with punk rock and occasional hardcore screams.

I simply love this album and was grinning all the way through the first listen. Welcome back NFG.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2011 3:32 PM GMT

RoboCop Trilogy [DVD]
RoboCop Trilogy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Weller

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Excellent, BUT......., 6 Mar 2010
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
Stay away from Robocop 3!

It is - quite frankly - one of the worst sequels ever made. My God, they have simply butchered the franchise with the 3rd installment and unknowingly turned it into a parody of itself.

Robocop 1 is the best, one of the most superlative sci-fi films ever made.

Robocop 2 is a so-so follow-up; mediocre script, decent action but ultimately forgettable. Still, compared to the Robocop 3 it is a masterpiece!

I wouldn't recommend this trilogy, mainly because of the decline in quality of the 2nd and 3rd installments. Rather buy the original, rent the second and forget the 3rd was ever made!

Robocop (Special Edition)[DVD] [1988]
Robocop (Special Edition)[DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ Peter Weller

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll buy that for a dollar!, 6 Mar 2010
This is by far one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever made. Period. Paul Verhoeven turned what could have been a disastrous movie (I mean, c'mon "Robocop"?) into a stunning piece of visual art.

Everything about this movie is great; the actors, the music, the storyline, the setting and of course, Robocop himself, who looks brilliant and is equally brilliantly acted by Paul Weller. The action is non stop and is well crafted.

What I love about this movie is that at the centre of the film is real heart, it's not all blood and guts. Also, it doesn't take itself too seriously; if you pay attention you will notice the satire and subtle humour.

The only beef I have with Robocop is in its silly title.

Many of my friends have turned this movie down based on its name, I think if they had given it a more credible sounding name more people might be interested in it.

The makers of this film deliberately tuned down Nancy Allen's look, but she's still damn hot! Robocop 2 was okay but for goodness sake, stay FAR AWAY from the 3rd installment!

What an absolute treat! Highly recommended if you like GOOD MOVIES.

This Addiction
This Addiction

4.0 out of 5 stars So much better than Agony and Irony..., 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: This Addiction (Audio CD)
I have now given "This Addiction" at least four spins and it is growing on me fast!

There are some really great songs on here, this is a very solid album and WAY better than "Agony and Irony", which was a bit of a hit and miss affair.

I compare this album to "Good Mourning" and "Crimson", not for the way it sounds but for the fact that it took me quite a few listens to appreciate the albums' excellence.

This is a very good Trio album, just give it some time! The black humour is still there, the pain hasn't gone away and the Trio are still popping pills and drinking themselves to death.

I am so glad the Trio are back on their feet. Highly recommended!

Unwanted Thoughts Syndrome (W/Dvd)
Unwanted Thoughts Syndrome (W/Dvd)
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 9 Jan 2010
Maria Bamford is totally original and very funny. She's does a lot of different voices, but it's all part of the actual comedy, she's not just a one trick pony.

There are so few geniune funny comediennes out there and Maria Bamford happens to be one of them. She likes to push the envelope and try out new stuff, which is great.

Beware though, she is an aquired taste and can offend easily, which is the kinda comedy I like. Her other cd "How to Win" is just as funny. Highly recommended.

My One And Only Thrill
My One And Only Thrill

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)
Wow, this album is excellent. I wanted to give it five stars but I am very new to the world of Jazz and I don't quite know what is great and what is a little less than great.

You see, I have been a punk rocker for most of my life but I am exploring new avenues and jazz is one of them. I started out with Miles Davis' "Some kind of Blue" and this is my second jazz album, so far so good.

I can't believe this girl is only twenty four. Unbelievable. She sounds so mature, and looks mature, too. This is a great album, very relaxed and beautifully recorded. Highly recommended.

The Simpsons - The Complete Tenth Season Collector's Edition [DVD]
The Simpsons - The Complete Tenth Season Collector's Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor season, 1 Jan 2010
For me this was the beginning of the decline of the Simpsons.

Poor writing, half-funny gags, just a total mess. There are only three good episodes on here, of which the best is MOM AND POP ART in which Homer becomes an artist through serendipity.

For me the best Simpsons are Seasons 4 - 9. Avoid the rest. D'oh!

Money Money 2020
Money Money 2020

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Electronica/punk rock!, 19 Dec 2009
This review is from: Money Money 2020 (Audio CD)
I love this! Imagine a cross between some weird, spaced out new wave electronic band and Green Day and you're almost there.

The songs are insane, catchy and very funny. I couldn't believe that a band like Green Day - pardon, The Network - would come up with such inventive and original music.

I also love the fake war of words which Billie Joe has started with members of the Network, very funny! Cannot wait for the next album!

Goodbye Ellston Avenue
Goodbye Ellston Avenue
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great punk rock, 19 Dec 2009
This review is from: Goodbye Ellston Avenue (Audio CD)
This is an excellent side project from Green Day's Billie Joe. It's pure punk rock and very raw, but catchy too.

At first listen I didn't like it very much, because hearing Billie Joe I expected the same production quality as Green Day, but the more I listened the more the songs grew on me.

This sounds like an underproduced, drunk Green day, if that helps! It's brilliant and I love it.

Warning
Warning
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and Brilliant, 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: Warning (Audio CD)
What kind of punk rock band would put out a collection of slow, acoustic songs? This is a very brave record, that's for sure. I loved it.

The songs are toned down, very few electric guitars, but the songs are deliciously catch and very original. I feel this is one of Green Day's best, especially pertaining to the songwriting, which leans a lot toward Elvis Costello.

The songs are great; Macy's day Parade - a beautiful, poignant number; Blood, Sex and Booze - very funny, Fashion victim - great song, funny lyrics; Misery - very original and brilliant and of course, Waiting and Minority, two of Green day's finest songs. Great album, go get it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3