ARRAY(0xb13b69c0)

Ten New Messages
Ten New Messages
Price: 8.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle of the road., 24 April 2007
This review is from: Ten New Messages (Audio CD)
I actually agree in large parts, with the scathing review below...

This is a distinctly average album - it's not bad but it's not good either. Having seen them live last night, the general ambivalence of the record translates to the live show. Needless to say, the tracks from the first album carried the show in their punchy wake.

Avoiding a track by track analysis, there are a couple of strongish tracks, namely The World was a Mess But His Hair was Perfect and When Tom Cruise Cries. I find the first single, We Danced Together, a tad repetitive and uninspiring, although, that said, I still can't help but sing the chorus. Little Superstitions is just plain rubbish - how it manages to gain the exalted status of 2nd track on the album is beyond me.

I do want to take issue with the comments below that the album lacks enthusiasm. At face value, this is true. But I think this confuses irreverent style, one of the most appealing aspects of the first album, with apathy. The monotone, as I hear it, relays the protagonist's outlook on life - stale and staid.

It's not all bad however, it's an enjoyable enough way to spend 40 minutes. Perhaps the most alarming aspect, however, is that it sets a strong precedent for dodgy 2nd albums from second tier indie bands, a trend that's compounded by Maximo Park (who's first offering I loved). We shall have to see if this carries on to the current batch of indie favourites, The Holloways and Good Shoes being pertinent examples...