Profile for Redshark > Reviews

Content by Redshark

Redshark (Leeds)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Philips 0730024 12961-BV W5w Blue Vision Bulb 5W (2 Bulbs)
Philips 0730024 12961-BV W5w Blue Vision Bulb 5W (2 Bulbs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement on original lamps, 9 Dec. 2013
I have fitted these in my sidelights and map lights in place of the dingy orange-yellow examples the manufacturer mistakenly deemed suitable for my otherwise brilliant 2000 Nissan Primera.

I was worried when I unpacked the blue-coated bulbs that they would be too blue but they give a clean white light that suits me perfectly.

They are not uncomfortably bright, but are usefully brighter than my standard items.

They have lasted well too so I am very satisfied.

Undergravel Tank Filter for Aquariums 39" x 12" UF-28P
Undergravel Tank Filter for Aquariums 39" x 12" UF-28P

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good..., 19 Oct. 2013
In this particular 6ft aquarium I want the filtration to be inside the tank. I don't want an external filter due to the danger of flooding which has happened to two people I know. I don't want to risk this for my family or my six Clown Loaches that are approaching 20 years old.

Secondly, these fish eat any plants grown so undergravel filtration is a good choice here as it works well, is neat and is cost effective. Undergravel filtration is not great for growing plants. The biological filtration takes place on and within the gravel which is cleaned by vacuuming out dirt periodically with a syphon. No other filter media needs to be purchased. I use two of these filters in this application with great success.

My previous algarde one-piece undergravel filter had serious deficiencies relating to the uplift tube connections which were far too fragile. These broke. The blanking-off plug for unused tube holes would not stay in place either.

This multi-piece filter (mine is actually branded Boyu but otherwise seems to match the photo) has a better connection to the uplift tube. I wouldn't take liberties with it but it is a much better design and if the connection was broken then another filter plate could always be substituted.

I was concerned that the filter may be brittle and therefore vulnerable when gravel vacuuming, but at this stage at least it seems quite sturdy and slightly flexible.

As the filter is made of small plates which slot together it is very flexible in terms of the width and length that can be achieved.

Lastly, the price is very low with free postage too from a reputable supplier.

I shall report back if I find any shortcomings but so far I am very pleased with this product and supplier.

Algarde Under Gravel Filter Plate, 28 x 89 cm/ 11 x 35-inch
Algarde Under Gravel Filter Plate, 28 x 89 cm/ 11 x 35-inch
Offered by Posh Pets

4.0 out of 5 stars Economical filtration with more pros than cons., 7 Oct. 2013
Pros:
I like my filtration contained within my aquarium. I don't want devices that pump the water out (i.e. external filters) as this can then end up flooding your home with the loss of your fish (I know of two people this has happened to).

The undergravel is capable of providing good biological and mechanical filtration in a fish-only system (i.e. no plants). Why not use all that gravel to do some filtering work, there's lots of it! A powerhead (more flow) will make the system much more efficient than an airpump.

The filtration system can be very unobtrusive which is great.

Maintenance is easy, just gravel-vac as required and no build up of debris will occur above or below the filter plates.

No expensive replacement filter media is needed.

The cost of this filtration system is relatively low to purchase and maintain.

Cons:
I've found that plants do not like this filter system and do not grow as well.

This particular Algarde design of filter is weak where the tubes enter the filter plate and it can break, especially if a large powerhead is used.

Also, the blanking plates (for additional uplift tubes) pop out of the holes if not glued securely in place and then gravel gets under the filter plates reducing efficiency and entering the powerhead if a powerful one is used.

One star has been knocked off for the last two cons which have let this design down. Now to try a different design.

Sapphire Collection 22 cm Polished Deep Chip Pan
Sapphire Collection 22 cm Polished Deep Chip Pan
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars I need chips!, 6 July 2013
I'd not had proper crunchy chips for years and decided enough was enough so I came to Amazon and read the helpful reviews (thankyou so much for these).
It's amazing that you can get such a suitable pan for only £14 for the now weekly chipfest!
It is just a simple pan, all you need.
Small drawbacks for me are the rounded bottom on the chip basket, but this is not really a problem as it won't tip over. Also, steam shoots towards the handle through the edge of the lid where the chip basket handle comes through. I could avoid this steam by lifting the lid, but I don't actually need to touch the handle of the pan during cooking if I've positioned the pan correctly on the hob.
The most important thing is that I can make great chips again!

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality music from the productive Steve Wilson., 6 July 2013
Beautiful music but for me it does not yet recreate the enjoyment and memorable tunes of his Porcupine Tree releases Deadwing and In Absentia which are my favourites of all his releases. It is fun detecting the influences of which there are many, but this is unmistakably Steve Wilson who never stands still but keeps developing his talents and explores working with new musicians who are never less than excellent.

Sanyo Eneloop AAA 4 Pack Batteries
Sanyo Eneloop AAA 4 Pack Batteries
Offered by iCell Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb batteries, 6 July 2013
I find that these batteries exceed the performance of all others I have tried and are essential for some uses such as my fenix torches, GPS and cameras. I no longer throw any batteries away and never become frustrated with poor performing or flat rechargeables as these hold their charge.
I bought a quality charger for them and this works very well. It is a maha wizard one smart battery charger, costing £52.
I thought it worth it as these really are the way forward for me.

Cable clips,round, 6 mm°, bag of 100 - white
Cable clips,round, 6 mm°, bag of 100 - white
Offered by Pakeeza

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple cheap solution, 6 July 2013
I used these to secure an ethernet cable to my skirting boards at 4 inch spacing and they look neat, though I intend to paint them to match when I get round to it.

RAC Heavy Duty Lantern 13 LEDs
RAC Heavy Duty Lantern 13 LEDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy light for a low price., 6 July 2013
This is a useful standby torch / light source. Just don't expect too much as you really should be spending £60 plus for a serious bright light. However, the nice white LEDs should mean that batteries last for a long time and the torch will work when needed. The beam is better than a similar torch with a bulb.

25m Network Cable CAT5e RJ45 Patch Ethernet 25 meter UK
25m Network Cable CAT5e RJ45 Patch Ethernet 25 meter UK
Offered by Consoletronic Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, 6 July 2013
The cable came quickly and worked absolutely fine to provide a better connection than wireless. It was very inexpensive so I was able to purchase a generous length which was useful until I could fix it more permanently and carefully with cable clips.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet., 6 July 2013
I have a couple of aprons that I purchased before this one.
The first one was low priced and is fine but looks and feels cheap.
The second higher priced one looked good for a while but the transparent layer became detatched from the underlying pattern.
This one looks to be better made and is a very pleasant item to use so I am very happy with it so far having had it a month. Best of all it is the lowest priced I have.
It stops me spilling food on my clothers and can be wiped clean easily.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8