Profile for sfitzgerald > Reviews

sfitzgerald

What's Not Said
What's Not Said
by James Martyn Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing writer - short stories you'll want to read again and again, 17 May 2013
This review is from: What's Not Said (Paperback)
This is an extraordinary collection of brilliantly observed stories by one of Ireland's wonderful writers. James Martyn Joyce writes heartbreaking, often dark and always compelling stories with a lyricism and a perceptiveness that really is breathtaking. I loved every one of these incredible stories, and it is a collection that I'll go back to again and again.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant premise, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
It is no surprise that this book is on the bestseller list - the premise is absolutely brilliant, and the first chapter pulled me in with as gripping a hook as I can remember. While I don't think the rest of the book fully delivered on those opening pages, and I think the writing quality slipped as the story unfolded, I believe that SJ Watson is a writer of real storytelling talent and I'll be keeping my eye out for the next one from this author.

Twinkle and the Moon Queen/ Réiltín agus Banríon na Gealaí
Twinkle and the Moon Queen/ Réiltín agus Banríon na Gealaí
by Catherine Sheridan

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful original enchanting story for children everywhere, 24 Nov 2011
Debut author and illustrator Catherine Sheridan collaborates with Gabriel Rosenstock to produce this wonderful, poignant story for children that's set to become a modern classic.

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
by Annabel Pitcher

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful voice, 7 Jun 2011
This is a wonderfully told story. As Jamie struggles to survive in a family that has been fractured by tragedy he gradually finds ways of getting stronger, generating new goals and forming a brilliant new friendship. Sunya is a really beautiful, powerful, healing character and her connection with Jamie unfolds so beautifully in the hands of this talented new author. I highly recommend this fabulous, poignant, witty, heartwarming book.

Moles
Moles
by Andrew Strong

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting cracker of a story, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Moles (Paperback)
There is something really special and delightful about Moles that it is rare to find these days. It's just a wonderful clever story full of mystery and adventure, but also with a gentleness that is touching and poignant and full of heart. I love this book.

Looking For Alaska
Looking For Alaska
by John Green

4.0 out of 5 stars a sensitively drawn coming of age story, 3 April 2011
This review is from: Looking For Alaska (Paperback)
John Green gets inside the heads of young adults in a way that's credible and full of that American High School bonding glue that's so good at holding a story of its kind together. It's a bittersweet plot with the unsurprising tragedy in the middle, but there's a lovely thoughtful thread running through the novel too that I think will help young readers to grapple with the existential questions that we all confront. Funny and heartfelt and full of insight - it's a lovely book.

Get Better Grades: Cool Study Skills for Red Hot Results
Get Better Grades: Cool Study Skills for Red Hot Results
by Margie Agnew

4.0 out of 5 stars very accessible, reader friendly guide for students, 22 Jan 2011
My son is doing exams this year and has had a hard time motivating himself to study. I bought this book for him on a recommendation without thinking it would make much difference. It turns out that he found it really helpful. it doesn't just cover study skills It really helps you to think about the whole range of attitudes, orientations and habits that can support an effective approach to exam years. It's not condescending or facile like some of these guides can be.