Profile for jonathan clift > Reviews

THE DIAGHILEV EXHIBITION CATALOGUE
THE DIAGHILEV EXHIBITION CATALOGUE
by unknown

4.0 out of 5 stars longing for the past, 15 Nov 2013
This catalogue for the 1954 diqaghilev exhibition makes me wish I had been old enough to have seen it. Sadly the illustrations are only in black and white but for the period it is very well informed and filled with detail. There seem to be lots of works that are rarely seen. Although the V&A exhibition had a vastly better catalogue it seems that the exhibition itself was no where near as good as this. Of course it was helped by so many eye witnesses still being alive when it was shown. How nice that the seller put in a brief note to accompany the parcel which was securely wrapped well protecting the catalogue.

Charioteer
Charioteer
by Mary Renault

4.0 out of 5 stars an old friend, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Charioteer (Hardcover)
through Amazon I received a copy of The Charioteer in record time from the US. Although not the first printing it is an excellent copy and I was able to reread my favourite book in a very good edition. Still looking for an original but meanwhile this will do nicely as I build my collection of all Miss Renault's books.

The Lady in the Van and Three Other Stories
The Lady in the Van and Three Other Stories
by Alan Bennett

4.0 out of 5 stars old friends and new discoveries, 29 Aug 2013
a beautiful edition of these long short stories, though as often with Folio some of the illustrations are a little strange. However only The Lady in the Van was familiar to me, so the other stories are a delight to read and discover. I'm a great lover of Folio editions, they are both beautiful to read and beautiful to see. With the excellent service that Amazon provides in putting one in contact with book sellers, I've had to acquire two new bookcases!

Diaghilev, An Exhibition Of Costume And Set Designs Chiefly From Diaghilev'S Ballets, Drawn From The Collection Of John Carr Doughty,

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointing., 24 July 2013
I'd hoped this would be a heavily illustrated and well informed companion to an old exhibition. But it is a little too modest in its production and so adds very little to one's knowledge.

Bronislava Nijinska: Early Memoirs
Bronislava Nijinska: Early Memoirs
by Bronislava Nijinska

5.0 out of 5 stars the real story, 24 July 2013
what a fascinating book. The life of Nijinsky has been told many times and usually from an uninformed or biased point of view, but this book is different. The latest biography for example relied too heavily on the writings of Romola, his wife, who famously twisted everything to paint herself in a good light. But here we have the viewpoint of a woman who grew up with him and was able to tell his story from the point of view of a dancer who was as nearly as talented as he was. We are lucky that two of her ballets ( Les Noces and Les Biches ) still survive today, if only we could still see Jeux and Sacre as Nijinsky created them. Also she tells of his 'affaires' without judgement and from a position of innocence. Altogether an invaluable insight of the life of the Ballets Russe.

Speaking of Diaghilev
Speaking of Diaghilev
by John Drummond

4.0 out of 5 stars a great insight, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Speaking of Diaghilev (Hardcover)
For anyone interested in the work of Diaghilev this is a fascinating book that starts with the revelation of a tragedy. Two BBC films made in the 1960's of Diaghilev's world and work, using interviews with eye witnesses who were still alive then, have both been lost forever. This book makes up for this in publishing those interviews, but we shall never be able to hear their testimonies again or see them as they speak (so revealing in the programme about the Ballets Russe). The book is full of wonderful insights and for those us who were lucky enough to have met some of these people, it is like listening to them again. A great addition to my collection of works about Diaghilev and his company.

The Red Badge of Courage:
The Red Badge of Courage:
by Stephen: Crane

1.0 out of 5 stars wrong, 20 Jun 2013
Yet again your website on Amazon failed. I looked for a cheap copy of the Folio Society edition of this book. The site listed a number of copies as Folio hardbacks and I ordered this. When it arrived it was not Folio and therefore not wanted for my collection. There are two things that I wish you'd do. First of all when requesting a specific edition don't throw in any book of the same title, for example why when I've requested hardbacks only do you include both paperbacks and kindle which are useless to me. Then when listing the books 'From these sellers' why do the sellers not be more specific in their descriptions? Some give no description at all. Rather than detailing their shipping arrangements I want to know the publisher and the date of the publication. Of course condition is important : it's nice to know if the book has been damaged but that is reflected in the price anyway, but the edition is paramount.

Theatre World Annual Number 5: A Pictorial Review Of West End Productions With A Record Of Plays And Players

4.0 out of 5 stars revisiting old friends, 20 Jun 2013
I love these books. The history of the London theatre is so fascinating to reread and in this book I have even been able to see productions that I remember seeing as a child. The edition arrived well within the time limit you set and well packed in very good condition. Having collected the full edition of Folio Society's Shakespeare I now intend to collect all the Theatre World annuals although they are harder to find and not so cheap. But there's no rush.

Scarlet and black: A chronicle of the nineteenth century
Scarlet and black: A chronicle of the nineteenth century
by Stendhal

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovelt edition, 20 Jun 2013
Yet again a speedy delivery of a beautiful copy of a classic. The book is in excellent condition and arrived really quickly. My only problem is that I've had so many good books through Amazon and their associates recently that I'm way behind on reading them all. But I'll get there! Yet again I'd like to thank everyone involved with this great facility to find copies of books from all over the country from dealers that I didn't know existed, and at really bargain prices (though I'd be happy to pay top prices if I could!) I intend to take advantage of the service as often as possible.

The Bayeux Tapestry and the Norman Invasion (with an introduction and translation by Lewis Thorpe)
by Lewis Thorpe

4.0 out of 5 stars Now it makes sense, 30 May 2013
A beautifully illustrated edition showing the whole tapestry really clearly and explaining exactly what is going on. The introductions and explanations are lucid and enjoyable and the whole historical background is made very clear. One's first thought though is what a tragedy that the tapestry is incomplete. If only it had been better preserved we would know even more. Also why is this important piece of British history in France? Surely we should have it back and return the Elgin marbles to Greece (though they'd probably sell them ).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3