Profile for bearsome > Reviews

Content by bearsome

bearsome

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Fintie Fire 7 2015 SmartShell Case - Ultra Slim Lightweight Standing Cover for Amazon Fire 7 Tablet (will only fit Fire 7" Display 5th Generation - 2015 release), Crocodile Navy
Offered by Fintie EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, 5 Feb. 2016
Very neat, quite stylish. Has a good feel to it, and is a little more exciting than the standard Fire case. It shuts very firmly, and just feels good in the hand. The only thing that concerns me just a little is that, after folding the cover right back, as when using the front cover as a stand, the inner fabric surface looks as if it's 'bubbling', though it doesn't look as if it's getting worse after the intial changes. I'm hopeful it won't get any worse. On the whole, I'm very pleased with this item.

Crying for Help: The Shocking True Story of a Damaged Girl with a Dark Past
Crying for Help: The Shocking True Story of a Damaged Girl with a Dark Past

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 5 Dec. 2015
A book I found difficult to put down, with the many emotions I felt while reading it. This story of Casey and Mike, such a caring couple, taking on the foster care of Sophia, a young girl who had such attitude, but was soon found to have many complicated issues. I admired them SO much for all that they went through, yet they were still determeined to help this very troubled young girl. I was astounded at the lack of help and information they were given; so much of the Sophia's background was kept from them, so it was like they were trying to walk through treacle, constantly trying to guess 'what next?'. I did feel that the book ended a little abruptly but, given the way their care of Sophia came to end, it was unavoidable. A great story and, because of it, I'll definitely be looking for more books by Casey Watson.

Higher Than Here
Higher Than Here
Offered by MediaMine

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be a 5*, 2 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Higher Than Here (Audio CD)
I've given this album 4 stars for now, for the simple reason that I've only listened to it twice, so haven't quite made up my mind. As always, James has produced another 'easy-listening' collection of songs, that go so well with his wonderfully husky voice. It opens with the catchy 'Demons' - catchy but with a slightly irritating 'demon' in the background - and has a number of songs in James' typical style. My only problem is that none of the other songs have actually yet stood out for me, unlike songs on previous albums. Still, it'll be played a lot in the car, and I'm guessing it will grow on me.

Past Encounters: a novel of WWII
Past Encounters: a novel of WWII

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 23 Oct. 2015
One of those rare novels that kept me wanting to go back to it whenever I could, a story based around the making of the film 'Brief Encounter'. A couple, as they were in 1945 and later in 1955, during and after World War 2, featured in this sad story, which told of Rhoda and Peter as they were during wartime, then when the war was over, and all SHOULD have been good. Rhoda and Peter had only just got engaged when Peter went off to war, while Rhoda continued in her home area, where she was earning a living, and doing voluntary work to support the war effort. While doing the latter, she met someone who was to make a huge difference to her life, and to her future with Peter. Meanwhile, chapters also followed Peter in a prison camp, and the appalling situation he and his fellow prisoners found themselves in. It was these chapters that really caught my imagination, as they were so full of description, making it so clear in my mind what they were going through, and I could feel for the men. Given the remembrance of the Blitz currently going on, my reading of the book was very timely. An excellently written story that fired my imagination, and has encouraged me to look further into what 'ordinary' people went through in that war.

Best Staged Plans
Best Staged Plans

4.0 out of 5 stars I think I enjoyed it., 8 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Best Staged Plans (Kindle Edition)
Well, to be honest, I THINK I enjoyed it, but my enjoyment was mixed with a fair amount of being VERY irritated with the 'heroine'. Sandra appeared to have it all - a contented husband who, like mine, is very laid-back to the point of laziness, an equally laid-back son, a happily married daughter, a comfortable home in a lovely area, and a job she obviously loved and was brilliant at. Yet, despite all of this, she suddenly wanted to move out of the home asap, wanted the house 'perfect' before she put it on the market (after all, making houses perfect for sale was her job!), and expected her husband and son not only to go along with it, but run around like headless chickens making the house as she wanted it. She also seemed to want everyone she loved to live their lives the way SHE would have done so - very judgemental. I'm afraid I wanted her to realise just how fortunate she was, and how little other people have. As it turned out, eventually, the truth hit her hard, and she had a re-think about her life. Thank goodness for that! It eventually struck me that Claire Cook must be a very good writer to convince me that she was the woman she was writing about, and maybe she was, given the 'staging' suggestions at the end of the book. Whatever, although Sandra had her awakening, I'm still not sure I liked her, but that hardly matters in a novel. Incidentally, at the start of the book, there's an awful lot of 'he' that should have been 'be' (no spell-checking?), and a lot of very American expressions that I didn't understand. However, I'm very grateful for the part where Sandra and her friend are wandering around a hobby store, and come across water pistols/ guns. One of them is called a Super Soaker. At last, the line from a Kings of Leon song that goes, "I'm a super soaker, red, white and blew 'em all away" makes more sense.

Stockholm Luxury Chocolate Brown Dense Pile Soft Shaggy Rug 60cmx110cm (2ftx3ft7")
Offered by The Rug House Ltd. (Same Day Dispatch - Before 1pm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, 1 Oct. 2015
Beautifully soft and shaggy, in a very rich chocolate brown. VERY reasonable price for such a lovely rug.

LARGE Single Size Beige 180 x 230cm Fleece Blankets , Sofa Throw Throwover, Light But Warm Available In 6 Colours And 3 Sizes. The Original "Rejuvopedic" Branded Blanket
Offered by The Linen Depot

Valley of Thracians
Valley of Thracians

3.0 out of 5 stars Novel or travel guide?, 5 Sept. 2015
This is what I can only call a 'mild' mystery thriller, with a lot of history, and some geography, of Bulgaria thrown in. I say 'mild' because, although there is some violence, it's all mentioned as having happened, rather than happening currently at any point in the story. The basic plot was good but, apart from Simon, the grandfather who has travelled from the States to Bulgaria looking for his missing grandson, Scott, it's hard to get a feel for what the other characters are really like, except a couple of men who are vaguely threatening. Towards the end of the story, there's a sudden focus on a woman named Katya, who has been mentioned in passing, and out of nowhere comes the idea that she's still looking for her dead husband, then becomes obsessed with the idea that Scott is that missing husband. Then, as quickly as the idea is raised, she's gone. Once the 'mystery' or two, had been solved, the book ended so suddenly, it was a bit odd, as if the author had done the 'history' bit, had brought the mystery to a conclusion, so that was it. A little amateurish, I though. The history and sights in Bulgaria are thoroughly covered, though, and I'm sure would make a lot of people look for more information about a country of which we hear very little. I did enjoy the story, but my problem was that the in-depth information about Bulgaria often took over from the narrative, and I'm not at all sure it was either necessary or helpful.

Smoke + Mirrors
Smoke + Mirrors

5.0 out of 5 stars Same quality, just as good!, 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Smoke + Mirrors (Audio CD)
I saw Imagine Dragons on tv footage of last year's Glastonbury Festival, and was very impressed. It took me a while to get round to ordering their Night Visions album, with tracks I knew, and I loved it. So, eventually, I ordered Smoke and Mirrors. Although pretty different from Night Visions, it's what I'd expect from a relatively new, and young, band. WHY just repeat the same type of stuff you've done before? I like this album just as much as the previous one, and the title track is just beautiful. Excellent!

Night Visions
Night Visions

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, totally hooked!, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Night Visions (Audio CD)
I'd seen Imagine Dragons on tv coverage of the 2014 Glastonbury festival, and I was impressed. I think it was the drums and the singer's cracking voice that got me. However, Kodaline were also on and, since I'd taken to them the year before, that was the band I really took to. Amazon kept recommending Imagine Dragons so, since I already knew the song It's Time, I decided I'd buy this album. It'll wear out soon, I've played it so often. It's Time is still a favourite, and Demons has to be THE one for me, but there's not one track I don't like. Yes, I'm definitely hooked!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7