Profile for bearsome > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Final Salute
The Final Salute

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly thought-provoking, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Final Salute (Kindle Edition)
I thought that I might find this hardgoing, given that I knew nothing about the US airforce, on which the story is based. In fact, the story majors on some personalities on an airforce base, rather than the force itself, and that includes families. In the background, though, is always the reality of being part of that airforce, that of the inherent dangers of the work. The story was good, surprisingly enjoyable, with the occasional light moments, and some very sad events. It was the latter that gave me food for thought - no bad thing.

Finding Mother (The Guernsey Novels Book 2)
Finding Mother (The Guernsey Novels Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Mar. 2015
It was great to come across a book based in an area I knew i.e. Guernsey. A gentle story, maybe rather predictable, and the fact that it was based on the Channel Islands rather than mainland UK, made the story of tracing a birth mother sound easier than it often is elsewhere. Good bedtime reading, though, and it was great to picture the areas mentioned.

Braun Oral-B Vitality Precision Rechargeable Clean Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Vitality Precision Rechargeable Clean Toothbrush
Offered by Electric Mania Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent replacement, 20 Mar. 2015
Bought as a replacement for another Oral-B Vitality, which had become decidedly tatty, this updated model is great. One on/off switch instead of the two on the previous model, and just as efficient. Great stuff.

Olay Regenerist Moisturiser Eye Lifting Serum Treatment
Olay Regenerist Moisturiser Eye Lifting Serum Treatment

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy again, 20 Mar. 2015
I have to be realistic, in that I wasn't expecting miracles, especially in just a month, but I've been a bit disappointed in this product. Whilst MAYBE I can see that the area around my eyes is a little lighter, the serum isn't particularly pleasant when applied, especially during the daytime. No matter how little I apply above my eyes and on my lids, the serum is SO greasy, that it makes my eyes feel as if I've just woken up. I've now gone back to using my previous make during the day, and keep this one for overnight - when I remember.

Womens Thermal Socks Ladies Winter Sock zig Zag Pattern Assorted Colours Size 4-8 Pack of 6 Pairs
Offered by MANSURI

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cosy, 19 Feb. 2015
Wonderfully snug and warm socks, wash well, although maybe too much pink to my taste. Still, as I only wanted them for wearing under wellies at the livery yard, colour wasn't really an issue. The socks were marked 4-8, but I'm very doubtful about that. My shoe size is between five and a half and 6, and the socks fit perfectly, but they don't have a lot of stretch in them. Anyone with larger than a size 6, be wary. Certainly, I doubt they'd fit anyone who takes a size 7 or 8 AND has wide feet.

Christmas with the McRaes: Books 1, 2 & 3, plus a new novella, Welcome Lizzie (The McRaes Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a disappointment, 12 Feb. 2015
With the overall title of this set of books, I was expecting something quite cheering for the Christmas season. Certainly, the endings were happy enough, but what I found, was text describing very intense personalities, with a lot of detailed sex. Now, I don't object to either, but the second was definitely unnecessarily overdone, and just made the second story far too long. It added nothing to the stories about the seemingly endlessly troubled individuals in the family, either. I read the first two stories, but couldn't face the third. The set's still on my Kindle, but I don't know if I'll get round to reading the third. Not sure if I can face it.

Coming Up For Air
Coming Up For Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, lads!, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Coming Up For Air (Audio CD)
I loved the first album 'In a Perfect World', which I bought after seeing the band at the 2013 Isle of Wight Festival, but I was a little worried that this second album would be in much the same vein. The first track is a little too much like Coldplay for my liking (a band I can't abide), but it's growing on me. However, the rest of the album is definitely different from the first - with some tracks that are really sad, and others that just make me smile - but, at the same time, so distinctive of their style. They really are a very gifted band, and I can see some of the songs again becoming singalongs in this year's festivals!

The Endless River
The Endless River

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone., 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
This album is, as has been made clear by Dave Gilmour, comprised of pieces of music that members of Pink Floyd wrote that never got onto previous albums. As such, some of the music is very reminiscent of well-known tracks and, with all but one track being instrumental, some might say, pretty boring. However, it's lovely to hear some previously unheard material played by Rick Wright, with Gilmour and Mason adding to it. None of the music is exactly exciting, but I find it very relaxing and calming and, sometimes, that's just what I need. It won't be to every Floyd fan's taste, though.

TowelsRus Spa Days Luxury Hair Turban, White, Absorbent Towel and Lightweight Cotton
Offered by towelsrus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 2 Jan. 2015
I've had two turban towels for years, and they've just started falling to pieces. So, I bought two of these TowelsRus turban towels to replace the others. I've only used the one so far, and it's very thick, excellent quality towelling, and very absorbant. Very pleased with it.

Coming Home: for Christmas
Coming Home: for Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 21 Dec. 2014
Gentle and totally predictable, this story is for you if you want something warm and easy to read, with absolutely no exercise for the brain. The only thing that wasn't predictable was the ending - the outcome was obvious, the abruptness wasn't. It was as if the writer had suddenly got bored with the whole thing. Very odd.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5