Profile for bearsome > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Night Visions
Night Visions

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, totally hooked!, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Night Visions (Audio CD)
I'd seen Imagine Dragons on tv coverage of the 2014 Glastonbury festival, and I was impressed. I think it was the drums and the singer's cracking voice that got me. However, Kodaline were also on and, since I'd taken to them the year before, that was the band I really took to. Amazon kept recommending Imagine Dragons so, since I already knew the song It's Time, I decided I'd buy this album. It'll wear out soon, I've played it so often. It's Time is still a favourite, and Demons has to be THE one for me, but there's not one track I don't like. Yes, I'm definitely hooked!

The Stolen Dog
The Stolen Dog

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't make up my mind, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Stolen Dog (Kindle Edition)
A very intense real life story. I had great sympathy with the people who 'lost' their dog, as I've always had pets that have meant a lot to me. On the other hand, the fact that this couple (and the writer was totally honest about this) regarded their dog as a child, was a little OTT for me. Yes, I love my pets dearly (we have cats and horses), and I'd be heartbroken if something happened to them, but I'd never regard them as children. We do have real children, now adults so, maybe that's why I could completely identify with them. In all honesty, my feelings as I read the story were very mixed.

Inside the Dementia Epidemic: A Daughter's Memoir
Inside the Dementia Epidemic: A Daughter's Memoir

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, 28 May 2015
I'm a volunteer visitor to a residential home for people with dementia, and talk often with relatives of those with the illness, but I found this book - about a daughter's struggle to come to terms with her mother's illness, AND 'the system' - a real eye-opener. Granted, this book is written by an American, about the experience of dealing with dementia within the US system, so the writer's experience will always be different to those who are trying to help a relative within the UK. However, while I've seen residents in the home gradually deteriorate, I had never before realised just how difficult it can be for relatives to watch their loved ones decline in a number of ways while, at the same time, try to sort out appropriate accommodation, finances and the legal system. As such, whichever country, relatives will be going through very similar emotions. What was excellent about this book was that the writer was so open about her feelings towards her mother at every stage, and the feelings weren't always good! I'm sure there will be a number of readers will recognise those feelings, which are often followed by feelings of guilt. This is a really good and detailed description of all sides of dementia - the sufferer, the relative, the carers both at home and in residential homes and, to a certain extent (although different because of the different countries), the financial considerations. My only criticism, although I understand why it had to be so, was that the book itself was just over 60%, whilst the rest was appendices, loaded with information, which could be helpful or not, depending on which side of the Atlantic the reader is!

Back In Time For Dinner: From Spam to Sushi: How We've Changed the Way We Eat
Back In Time For Dinner: From Spam to Sushi: How We've Changed the Way We Eat
by Mary Gwynn

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2015
I was born in the 50s, so I remember a lot of what was mentioned in this book. I spent a lot of time reading out bits to my husband, to see what he could remember, too. Although the programme mostly focussed on food - naturally - the book also mentioned historical and political events, toys, fashion, and music, in a lot more detail than the programme was able to in the limited time they had. Like another reviewer has said, I was a bit disappointed in the number of photos in the book, given the number of different facets of homelife and food mentioned. I found myself thinking, "You should have included ......!" I was a little doubtful about the claim that online shopping is on the increase, and that 'middle-class foodies' want to see a return to shopping in local indepedent shops, but the writer is sceptical as to whether this will happen. I've got news for her - as Giles Coren found in his home town, a return to shopping in the local butcher/fishmonger/baker etc is already happening in quite a few areas, and not only by the 'middle-class'! Overall, though, this is an excellent, interesting, well-researched history book of food, eating habits, and related subjects.

The French Gardener
The French Gardener

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle surprise, 5 May 2015
I've never read any other Santa Montefiore stories, and I'm not into sloppy love stories, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a very gentle story and, at times, very touching, with the harshness of the unhappy and unsettled marriage of one couple, contrasting with another gentle and happy marriage, and a passionate affair, involving three other people. In the background of both were the children who could have felt the consequences of the situations. Lovely. I may well read some more of this writer's stories.

Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Age-Defying Moisturiser 50 ml
Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Age-Defying Moisturiser 50 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet to be convinced, 16 April 2015
I wasn't expecting for a miracle, but I was hoping for something. This cream does make my skin feel wonderfully smooth just after I've applied it, but I'm not sure it's doing anything else. It seems very highly perfumed to, as I was used to using an unperfumed face cream. Would I buy it again? I'm not at all sure.

Of Marriageable Age
Of Marriageable Age

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and intriguing, 16 April 2015
This book was MUCH longer than I was expecting, but I'm so pleased I persisted. I got a bit confused to start with, as the characters were featured in different chapters at first, set in different generations, and it took me a while to start piecing together the connections. In a printed book, you can just flick back and check on what was written earlier in the book, and that's not so easy to do on a Kindle! The story was very atmospheric, giving a glimpse into the lives of Indian people living in India and Britain pre and after independence. Some of it doesn't make very comfortable reading, and is emotional and shocking at the same time. However, there is a happy ending, although it's a long time a-coming. Well worth the effort.

Bedding Heaven 15 tog KING SIZE DUVET s/s Made by FOGARTY and direct from their factory.
Offered by Bedding Heaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised, 16 April 2015
I had originally planned, after asking for other buyers' opinions, in buying another and more expensive duvet, then decided to 'risk' the well-known but unlabelled Fogarty at a lower price. I'm so pleased I did! It has a lovely firm cotton cover, unlike other cheaper-quality duvets (like the one we were replacing), and the filling is warm and cosy. It's simply a VERY comfortable duvet, at an excellent price. Definitely a 'risk' I'm glad I took.

The Final Salute
The Final Salute

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly thought-provoking, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Final Salute (Kindle Edition)
I thought that I might find this hardgoing, given that I knew nothing about the US airforce, on which the story is based. In fact, the story majors on some personalities on an airforce base, rather than the force itself, and that includes families. In the background, though, is always the reality of being part of that airforce, that of the inherent dangers of the work. The story was good, surprisingly enjoyable, with the occasional light moments, and some very sad events. It was the latter that gave me food for thought - no bad thing.

Finding Mother: A Family Drama (The Guernsey Novels Book 2)
Finding Mother: A Family Drama (The Guernsey Novels Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Mar. 2015
It was great to come across a book based in an area I knew i.e. Guernsey. A gentle story, maybe rather predictable, and the fact that it was based on the Channel Islands rather than mainland UK, made the story of tracing a birth mother sound easier than it often is elsewhere. Good bedtime reading, though, and it was great to picture the areas mentioned.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6