Profile for bearsome > Reviews

Back In Time For Dinner: From Spam to Sushi: How We've Changed the Way We Eat
Back In Time For Dinner: From Spam to Sushi: How We've Changed the Way We Eat
by Mary Gwynn

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2015
I was born in the 50s, so I remember a lot of what was mentioned in this book. I spent a lot of time reading out bits to my husband, to see what he could remember, too. Although the programme mostly focussed on food - naturally - the book also mentioned historical and political events, toys, fashion, and music, in a lot more detail than the programme was able to in the limited time they had. Like another reviewer has said, I was a bit disappointed in the number of photos in the book, given the number of different facets of homelife and food mentioned. I found myself thinking, "You should have included ......!" I was a little doubtful about the claim that online shopping is on the increase, and that 'middle-class foodies' want to see a return to shopping in local indepedent shops, but the writer is sceptical as to whether this will happen. I've got news for her - as Giles Coren found in his home town, a return to shopping in the local butcher/fishmonger/baker etc is already happening in quite a few areas, and not only by the 'middle-class'! Overall, though, this is an excellent, interesting, well-researched history book of food, eating habits, and related subjects.

The French Gardener
The French Gardener

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle surprise, 5 May 2015
I've never read any other Santa Montefiore stories, and I'm not into sloppy love stories, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a very gentle story and, at times, very touching, with the harshness of the unhappy and unsettled marriage of one couple, contrasting with another gentle and happy marriage, and a passionate affair, involving three other people. In the background of both were the children who could have felt the consequences of the situations. Lovely. I may well read some more of this writer's stories.

Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Age-Defying Moisturiser 50 ml
Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Age-Defying Moisturiser 50 ml
Offered by Pharmacy Place

3.0 out of 5 stars Yet to be convinced, 16 April 2015
I wasn't expecting for a miracle, but I was hoping for something. This cream does make my skin feel wonderfully smooth just after I've applied it, but I'm not sure it's doing anything else. It seems very highly perfumed to, as I was used to using an unperfumed face cream. Would I buy it again? I'm not at all sure.

Of Marriageable Age
Of Marriageable Age

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and intriguing, 16 April 2015
This book was MUCH longer than I was expecting, but I'm so pleased I persisted. I got a bit confused to start with, as the characters were featured in different chapters at first, set in different generations, and it took me a while to start piecing together the connections. In a printed book, you can just flick back and check on what was written earlier in the book, and that's not so easy to do on a Kindle! The story was very atmospheric, giving a glimpse into the lives of Indian people living in India and Britain pre and after independence. Some of it doesn't make very comfortable reading, and is emotional and shocking at the same time. However, there is a happy ending, although it's a long time a-coming. Well worth the effort.

Bedding Heaven 15 tog KING SIZE DUVET s/s Made by FOGARTY and direct from their factory.
Offered by Bedding Heaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised, 16 April 2015
I had originally planned, after asking for other buyers' opinions, in buying another and more expensive duvet, then decided to 'risk' the well-known but unlabelled Fogarty at a lower price. I'm so pleased I did! It has a lovely firm cotton cover, unlike other cheaper-quality duvets (like the one we were replacing), and the filling is warm and cosy. It's simply a VERY comfortable duvet, at an excellent price. Definitely a 'risk' I'm glad I took.

The Final Salute
The Final Salute

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly thought-provoking, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Final Salute (Kindle Edition)
I thought that I might find this hardgoing, given that I knew nothing about the US airforce, on which the story is based. In fact, the story majors on some personalities on an airforce base, rather than the force itself, and that includes families. In the background, though, is always the reality of being part of that airforce, that of the inherent dangers of the work. The story was good, surprisingly enjoyable, with the occasional light moments, and some very sad events. It was the latter that gave me food for thought - no bad thing.

Finding Mother (The Guernsey Novels Book 2)
Finding Mother (The Guernsey Novels Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Mar. 2015
It was great to come across a book based in an area I knew i.e. Guernsey. A gentle story, maybe rather predictable, and the fact that it was based on the Channel Islands rather than mainland UK, made the story of tracing a birth mother sound easier than it often is elsewhere. Good bedtime reading, though, and it was great to picture the areas mentioned.

Braun Oral-B Vitality Precision Rechargeable Clean Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Vitality Precision Rechargeable Clean Toothbrush
Offered by Lloydspharmacy

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent replacement, 20 Mar. 2015
Bought as a replacement for another Oral-B Vitality, which had become decidedly tatty, this updated model is great. One on/off switch instead of the two on the previous model, and just as efficient. Great stuff.

Olay Regenerist Moisturiser Eye Lifting Serum Treatment
Olay Regenerist Moisturiser Eye Lifting Serum Treatment
Offered by HAIR ANGELS

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy again, 20 Mar. 2015
I have to be realistic, in that I wasn't expecting miracles, especially in just a month, but I've been a bit disappointed in this product. Whilst MAYBE I can see that the area around my eyes is a little lighter, the serum isn't particularly pleasant when applied, especially during the daytime. No matter how little I apply above my eyes and on my lids, the serum is SO greasy, that it makes my eyes feel as if I've just woken up. I've now gone back to using my previous make during the day, and keep this one for overnight - when I remember.

Womens Thermal Socks Ladies Winter Sock zig Zag Pattern Assorted Colours Size 4-8 Pack of 6 Pairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cosy, 19 Feb. 2015
Wonderfully snug and warm socks, wash well, although maybe too much pink to my taste. Still, as I only wanted them for wearing under wellies at the livery yard, colour wasn't really an issue. The socks were marked 4-8, but I'm very doubtful about that. My shoe size is between five and a half and 6, and the socks fit perfectly, but they don't have a lot of stretch in them. Anyone with larger than a size 6, be wary. Certainly, I doubt they'd fit anyone who takes a size 7 or 8 AND has wide feet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6