Profile for bearsome > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Great Western Valkyrie
Great Western Valkyrie

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a let down, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
Despite all the reviews that rated this album highly, having seen the band live this summer, I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting great things, but this album doesn't have nearly as much atmosphere as their album 'Heads Down', which gave so much more of a true impression of what they do live. Yes, it's a 'good' album, with some good songs, but, for me, it just isn't 'great', which is what I was expecting. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Woodluv Med. Brown Wicker With White Linning Storage Basket Trunk Chest Hamper With Lid(E01-345M)
Offered by SelectiveGoods

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 16 Aug 2014
Good-looking, well made basket. Fits well on top on my wardrobe, to take bits an pieces that have been 'floating around' in the bottom and on top of said wardrobe. Very useful item.

Classical Voices
Classical Voices
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Classical Voices (Audio CD)
Bought as a gift for someone else - can't comment.

Kong Kickeroo Pattern 1
Kong Kickeroo Pattern 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Our cats loved this at first sight, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Kong Kickeroo Pattern 1 (Misc.)
Our cats loved this at first sight, and periodically attack the Kickeroo with a great amount of energy. I bought some extras for our local Cats Protection branch, where again, they're very popular. That's good enough!

Morecambe & Wise - Christmas Specials [DVD] [1969]
Morecambe & Wise - Christmas Specials [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Eric Morecambe

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 26 July 2014
Bought as a gift for someone else - can't comment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 12:47 AM BST

Holy Bible: New International Version (Bible Niv)
Holy Bible: New International Version (Bible Niv)
by New International Version

4.0 out of 5 stars My old favourite Bible is, 26 July 2014
My old favourite Bible is, as we're told they should be, VERY tatty from use. It's also a paperback, which didn't help, so I decided to treat myself to a new Bible with a hard cover. This one is compact - handy for putting in my bag to take to housegroup - but fairly basic, with just a few notes of Biblical events and their references at the front, and summaries of each book of the Bible at the back. The only slight disadvantage - and my fault for not reading the description notes thoroughly before ordering - is that type is a bit on the small side for me to read without my (very low strength) glasses. Otherwise, a useful buy.

Countryfile: Adam's Farm: My Life on the Land
Countryfile: Adam's Farm: My Life on the Land
by Adam Henson

4.0 out of 5 stars plus some great photos., 26 July 2014
I've attended one of Adam Henson's extremely interesting presentations, where this book was on sale, but I paased on buying one at the time. He's a lovely genuine and humorous man, with a huge enthusiasm for farming, and the countryside in general, so I looked forward to reading this book. That same enthusiasm came through in bucket-loads in the book, and there were lots of bits of information that I picked up along the way, both about farming, the Rare Breeds Park (which I visited many years ago, when it probably not been open for long), and the Countryfile programme, in which Adam plays such a large part. The only thing was - and this is in no way a criticism but a mild warning - Adam is a farmer, not a writer. As such, his writing is simple and straightforward, not sophisticated, which some readers might find frustrating or even irritating. A very enjoyable read, though, plus some great photos.

An Appetite for Murder: A Frances Doughty Mystery (Frances Doughty Mysteries)
An Appetite for Murder: A Frances Doughty Mystery (Frances Doughty Mysteries)
by Linda Stratmann

3.0 out of 5 stars and loved them, particularly as I'm really into Victorian social ..., 26 July 2014
I've read all the rest of the Frances Doughty stories, and loved them, particularly as I'm really into Victorian social history. This one, though, wasn't quite as good, I felt, which is why it hasn't got 5 stars. For most of the story, the historical background is just as accurate, and the story just as intriguing, until I got the the part that one character wasn't what he appeared to be - I won't say in what way, so as not to spoil it for others. Of course, we expect characters in murder mysteries not to be quite what they seem, but the scenario in this novel just wasn't believable - for me, at least - and it left me feeling very disappointed that I'd bothered to read it. Sorry, but it was a real let-down, although still beautifully written as all the others.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2014 10:56 PM BST

Head Down
Head Down

5.0 out of 5 stars ... time at this year's Isle of Wight Festival - wonderful sound for a sunny Saturday afternoon, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Head Down (Audio CD)
Saw and heard this band for the first time at this year's Isle of Wight Festival - wonderful sound for a sunny Saturday afternoon! They remind me so much of Free (I'm old enough to remember Free when they were a young band), but with their own style and sound at the same time. I love this album, and have been impressed at their subtlety on the track 'Jordan', while their other tracks really rock. Love 'Keep on Swinging', which was the song that caught my ear at the festival. Jay Buchanan simply has a great voice, whatever style he chooses. I've now ordered their most recent album on the strength of this one.

Ginger Cat Mouse Mat, I Don't Do Days
Ginger Cat Mouse Mat, I Don't Do Days
Offered by Art2Wear

4.0 out of 5 stars it seems to good enough quality, 26 July 2014
It does what it says - it's a mouse mat with a ginger cat on it! Apart from that, it seems to good enough quality, it doesn't smell overwhelmingly of rubber, and the mouse works fine on it. Oh, and the design makes me smile, because we have a cat just like the one depicted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4