Profile for M. Dean > Reviews

Content by M. Dean

M. Dean (Derby, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
HoMedics MiBody Scales, Pedometer and Blood Pressure Monitor Fitness Analysis Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful idea, but frustrating to use, 10 Jan 2011
Me and my husband have been using this for a week now. We had to set it up twice because after an initial reading which worked, it wouldn't accept a 2nd reading. After setting it up the 2nd time all seemed well, however, after a couple of days it started to show an error message every time my husband tried to weigh himself. We couldn't discern he was doing anything different to me. We deleting his user setting and set him up again, but there still seems to be a problem. He is frustrated and has now stopped using it. Yesterday the scales reset themselves in terms of time and date, which, because I didn't initially notice, messed up the reporting on the computer. I reset it and managed to get the results showing accurately again. I will keep going for a while but at the moment I'm disappointed as I was excited about using this. The blood pressure monitor and pedometer seem to work but I have only used both of them once so far.

Good Food: 101 Christmas Dishes (Tried-and-Tested Recipes)
Good Food: 101 Christmas Dishes (Tried-and-Tested Recipes)
by Angela Nilsen
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great recipes, but quite a lot of repetition, 9 Jan 2011
I based my whole Christmas in 2010 around making recipes from this little book. I particularly liked the Christmas Pie, but made my own pastry rather than buy ready rolled, which I don't think works so well. The cranberry sauce recipe is delicious and so easy I will never buy a shop bought jar again. There are definitely recipes in this book which will be made every year. The roast potatoes came out a treat by following this simple recipe and we all loved the mini chilli beef pies. My only criticism is that the book aims to give you options on a particular recipe. So, for instance there are 7 "recipes" which give you different options on how to decorate a basic christmas cake. There are 3 different types of mince pies, 3 different variations on mulled wine and 4 different ways of cooking the turkey. Although all the recipes are great, I would have been happier with one of each and a broader range of recipes.

Good Food: Slow-cooking Recipes: Triple-tested Recipes
Good Food: Slow-cooking Recipes: Triple-tested Recipes
by Sharon Brown
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes as always from Good Food 101, 9 Jan 2011
I'm starting a collection of these little cook books now, and find that I use them more than any other cook books I own. Since buying this a couple of months ago I have made a number of recipes, all of which have been shared with family and friends and very much enjoyed. I made the Butterbean and squash crumble for my vegetarian sister at Christmas, and we all, including my very non-vegetarian husband, really enjoyed it. The 7 hour lamb is mouth watering, and my parents loved the braised pork with prunes. There are many others I could mention which we've all thoroughly enjoyed. The only comment I would make is that I originally thought this was a cook book for my slow cooker, but it's not. They are just recipes that cook for a long time. None of the recipes I've made would benefit from converting to the slow cooker, although I tried that with the 7 hour lamb, but reverted to putting it in the oven for a couple of hours to finish off.

SOFIA LEATHER SHOULDER GRAB HANDBAG (Black)
SOFIA LEATHER SHOULDER GRAB HANDBAG (Black)
Offered by Supreme Leather
Price: 9.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value and well made bag, 9 Jan 2011
I bought this as a Christmas present for a friend, and to say she's delighted with it is an understatement. When she asked for a black handbag with lots of pockets, she certainly wasn't expecting to receive a well made leather handbag. I would expect normally to pay twice as much for something of this quality. I'm really please with this and very happy I've been able to get my friend such a great present.

New Visconti XL brown leather 17" laptop messenger briefcase business work bag
New Visconti XL brown leather 17" laptop messenger briefcase business work bag
Offered by Lets Travel
Price: 125.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, 9 Jan 2011
I bought this for my husband for Christmas, and he absolutely loves it. I would say it's quite large, and certainly holds his 17" laptop, the power leads and plenty of other things. It's very well packaged when it arrives, and smells very leathery. It's well made and looks exactly like the pictures. He loves it.

Master Class 3-Piece Carving Set
Master Class 3-Piece Carving Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Box a bit flimsy but product very good., 9 Jan 2011
This was for a Christmas present, and it arrived in a cardboard box with a plastic front. The carving set was displayed through the window, and not in the box that it comes with. The box itself is very light, and quite thin. However, what matters is that the carving set itself appears to be good quality. The feedback I got was that it works very well. I decided to put the carving set in the box and remove the cardboard outer box before wrapping it as a present. It looked much better then.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, but Men's sizes, 9 Jan 2011
As this came up in the search for a Women's T-Shirt, I presumed that a Large would be around Size 14 to 16. Unfortunately when it arrived it was far larger than I expected. Luckily it fitted my husband well, and for the price I'm not complaining. Anyway, I'm going to order a small one now and see if that's OK for me ....

Terry Towelling Waterproof Mattress Protector King Size
Terry Towelling Waterproof Mattress Protector King Size
Offered by Rohi Linens Ltd
Price: 10.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite big enough, 8 May 2010
After purchasing a new memory foam mattress topper I found I needed a new mattress protector that would be deep enough, as my existing mattress topper would no longer fit. After a lot of measuring and searching on the internet, I identified this one that stated it would fit a mattress of dimensions 60x80x14. As my mattress is 60x80x12 I breathed a sigh of relief. Unfortunately this mattress protector barely fits. I have been able to squeeze it on, but it wouldn't fit a bed of 14" depth, as it can barely contain a mattress+topper of 12" depth.

5cms (2inch) Deep KING Size Memory Foam Mattress Topper ***Now Includes A Fiited Style Washable Cover With Corner Straps*** By "The Linen Depot"
Offered by The Linen Depot
Price: 64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A blissful night's sleep, 8 May 2010
We have been sleeping on our memory foam mattress topper for a week now, and absolutely love it. We have even found ourselves making the unusual decision to have a lie down on a weekend afternoon, or on return from work, to have a short relax and read a book because it is so luxuriously comfortable, it's a perfect way to relax as well as sleep.

I carefully read other reviews before buying a mattress topper and identified that a 2 inch thickness topper was right for me, as apparently the deeper memory foam toppers are less good for people who move a lot in bed or get hot, as I do.

The smell of this product has also been mentioned by other reviewers, and I can agree that on first opening there is a strong chemical odour. We left it over the washing line on a (rare) sunny day, when it arrived and then put it in the spare bedroom for 3 days. The smell did substantially diminish over this time, and so we put it on the bed. The smell is still there in the background, but only now really noticable on first walking into the bedroom for a few seconds. Instructions that come with the topper when it arrives say that the smell will go entirely after about 3 weeks. I wouldn't let it put you off.

Finally, as a result of buying this I've made a few other purchases: -
- New really comfy pillows .... as nothing but the best will do any more!
- A deep mattress protector (available quite cheaply) - our old mattress protector won't fit with the mattress topper on too so we found we needed one that was over 12 inches in depth.
- We have flat base sheets that fit fine, but if you have fitted base sheets, you'll need to get some deeper ones of these too.

Homescapes - White Duck FEATHER Pillow PAIR - Department Store Quality - Anti Dust Mite - Wash at Home Range - Medium / Soft Firmness - 100% Cotton Downproof Cover
Offered by HOMESCAPES
Price: 22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable and a good nights sleep, 8 May 2010
I have been sleeping with my new pillows for a week now and they are such a huge improvement on my previous pillows that I would heartily recommend them. I prefer to sleep with pillows that do not elevate my head too much from the mattress, and that I can squash into comfortable shapes, and have previously struggled to find the perfect good quality pillow for this, but these fit the bill perfectly.

I always review items carefully before purchasing anything, and am happy to report that these have not disappointed. They are very good value for money, and pillows of this quality are far more expensive elsewhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6