Profile for Bromley98 > Reviews

The Sleeper
by Emily Barr
Price: 8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best book, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Sleeper (Paperback)
I have read several of Emily Barr's books but this one is nowhere near her best. As other reviews have said, it started well but there were far too many unbelievable events taking place as the story unfolded. I kept going until the end but felt disappointed.

Batsford's Walking Guides: Cotswolds
Batsford's Walking Guides: Cotswolds
by Jilly MacLeod
Price: 8.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't venture out without a map as well, 27 Aug 2013
Whilst I agree with the previous review about the quality and look of this book, I would like to review it on its merit as a walking guide. My family and I set out on one of these walks and although we managed most of the walk without too much difficulty, there were times when we found the written instructions ambiguous and difficult to interpret. We did get lost and although we also had the relevent map with us needed the GPS on my mobile phone to find out exactly where we were. I would therefore definitely recommend buying the correct map to accompany the walk as the book alone may not be enough. We will no doubt venture out again but based on my first experience I would only give this book 3 stars.

Charlie Bone and the Red Knight
Charlie Bone and the Red Knight
by Jenny Nimmo
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great end to the series, 27 Jan 2013
I couldn't wait to read the last book in the Charlie Bone series as they had all been written so well to build an amazing climax to the last book.

When I started reading this book, it was physically impossible to put it down and the only reason I did was because I got too tired to read any more! This is the last book in the Charlie Bone series and I have to say that I think that it was by far the best book in the series as it was fast paced with loads of action and just generally superbly written.

In this book, there is also so much excitement as the reader gets to discover all the secrets that have been tucked away and been made especially to be revealed in the last book.

As I've said before, this is definitely the best book in the Charlie Bone series and all the secrets that the reader gets to find out (including the identity of the red knight) are so cleverly crafted and written by the author that I could read this book again and again and would definitely recommend this book 100% to anyone thinking of buying it because it's simply amazing!!!

The Perfect Lie
The Perfect Lie
by Emily Barr
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable....... but not her best book, 31 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Perfect Lie (Paperback)
I have read several of Emily Barr's books and although I enjoyed this one, it would definitely be rated as my least favourite. I liked the way in which the story was told through 3 seperate people, Marianne, Lucy and Eliza and felt that the descriptive writing about Venice was excellent and made you feel that you were there with Lucy. What I didn't like were the unconvincing moments in the plot (and there were many; e.g. would it really be that easy to travel to Venice and find the person you were looking for that easily??. The part where Seth visits 'Lucy Riddick's' mother, only to find out she died when she was 3 is also unbelievable as was the way in which Marianne seemed to take on this dead child's indentity and obtain a passport. The art fraudsters turning up in a speedboat also made me cringe a little. A good idea for a plot and an enjoyable read on the whole, it just wasn't really very believable.

Memoirs of a Fruitcake: The Wilderness Years 2000-2010
Memoirs of a Fruitcake: The Wilderness Years 2000-2010
by Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, 5 Jan 2011
Thought his first book was fab and couldn't wait to read this. A really well written account of his life to date - I couldn't put it down but didn't want it to end either!!. Would recommend this to any Chris Evans fans.

Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story (Ant & Dec)
Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story (Ant & Dec)
by Ant McPartlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 31 Oct 2009
I wasn't too sure whether I wanted to read this book or not, but am so glad I did. From the moment I started reading, I couldn't put it down. They tell their story so well - it has so many funny moments but also touching and poignant ones & it has been a long time since I've read a book that has made me laugh out loud as much as this one. They are both so deserving of the success they have had and if you like Ant and Dec you will definitely like this.