Profile for Naomi > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Born To Die - The Paradise Edition
Born To Die - The Paradise Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars An Even Dreamier Addition., 17 Nov 2012
After loving every song on Born To Die, it was no surprise I love the 8 extra songs included in The Paradise Edition. It's really no wonder the (positive) reviews for Lana Del Rey sound similar to each other, because anyone who listens to her songs will be taken on a ride through the sweet, high notes that feature in songs like Body Electric and Yayo. It will then take you smoothly into the deeper, melodious tones that feature in Blue Velvet and Ride. Even then, the two styles intertwine so nicely in most of the songs you'll most likely find it difficult to pick a solid favourite.
For me, personally, American struck a chord instantly. It's just so beautifully done, and the lyrics are really something to be admired. Lana Del Rey is certainly a rare talent.

Coexist
Coexist

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stray far from their first album, but still enjoyable., 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: Coexist (Audio CD)
Firstly, I'll just point out I had a little trouble receiving the CD, after it had well passed its estimated delivery time. But after an e-mail to Amazon, it was sorted within 24 hours, and I'm very happy with the Customer Service. So, thank-you, Amazon.

Now, to the CD. On first listen, sure, it does sound very similar to The XX's debut album 'XX', with their signature music in the background.
You could very easily glide from one album to the other without realising it's switched.
But, I have given this a good few listens, and I would say the key to really enjoying this album, is not concentrating on the similarities, but to really listen to the lyrics.
I can't quite describe the lyrics without sounding cliché, so here goes nothing with the predictable adjectives. When you really listen, the words float to your ear drums in a sweet, beautiful and often melancholic way.
Once I'd really taken the words on board, I can now enjoy this album for what it is. I particularly enjoy Missing, Chained and Our Song.

I do hope, for the future of The XX, that any of their future work will be a little more experimental and diverse.

Not as good as their first, but gets a comfortable 4/5 from me.

Komputerbay 4GB 2X 2GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6300 PC2-6400 DDR2 800 (240 PIN) DIMM Desktop Memory
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars My computer is happy, and so am I., 30 Aug 2012
After running out of patience with my computer running with a 1GB of RAM, I finally decided it was time to spend some money on a little upgrade.
I read the reviews on this product, and I was convinced it was the one for me. I also double and triple checked that it was actually compatible with my computer. (I highly recommend this before purchasing)
Arrived before the estimated delivery time, popped off the side of my computer tower, clicked it in to the slot, turned my computer on and BAM. I saw the results instantly.
My computer turns on/off much more quickly, opening big folders is pretty much instantaneous compared to how it used to be. I don't even have time to look at my nails in a bored fashion as what I want has already opened up.
I couldn't be more pleased with the difference in speed and response, so I would definitely recommend this product if you need to give your computer a nice boost.

Heligoland
Heligoland
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Massive Attack's best, but still good., 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Heligoland (Audio CD)
I absolutely adore Mezzanine, and can happily listen to it all day on repeat.
One day I felt I needed to explore what else Massive Attack have done, and came across Heligoland. After a small preview of each song, I thought to myself, "Why the hell not?" and bought it.

Now, I'm not saying it's not worth buying, but I felt fairly underwhelmed when listening to a few songs. I'll start with the best - in my opinion - and work my way down:
Paradise Circus, Atlas Air, Girl I Love You and Splitting The Atom make for a nice treat to listen to. They're each memorable, eerie, dark and melodic. Just what I like from Massive Attack. I particularly enjoy Hope Sandoval's voice in Paradise Circus. It feels so dreamy alongside the music.

Now onto the not so good (but not terrible) songs:
Flat Of The Blade, Pray For Rain and Psyche are not necessarily 'bad'. But I feel they don't quite measure up. They feel a little mishmash, and you're left wondering what each of these songs were trying to aim for.

For the 3 I've left out - Saturday Come Slow, Rush Minute and Babel - they're nice to listen to, but not quite memorable enough. More suitable to quietly listening to in the background.

So overall, not a complete disappointment, as there are some songs that I'll still listen to over and over again, but there are some I'll skip over.

Frances the Mute
Frances the Mute

5.0 out of 5 stars Like no other CD I own., 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Frances the Mute (Audio CD)
Well, with how diverse, complex and intriguing this album is, it's a little difficult to quite put into words what listening to it is like.
Of course, it's nothing but positivity regarding each song. Although, you can barely call them all 'songs' since the vast majority link together to make for a listening experience that takes you through so many twists and turns.
Guitars, fast paced, slow paced, bilingual and extraordinary lyrics; what else is there left to cover for The Mars Volta?
If you've only heard The Widow and L'Via L'Viaquez, then I'd highly recommend you take careful consideration when buying this album. You may not get what you expect with the rest. That may be in a great way or a bad way.
But if you like music that's a little 'out there', don't take another minute to buy it and find out what's in store.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2013 9:14 PM GMT

Born to Die
Born to Die

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'dark paradise' of an album., 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Born to Die (Audio CD)
Of course, as I'm sure a lot of others have, I first heard Video Games and Born To Die on the radio/through word of mouth leading me to look them up.
I knew I had to investigate further, which then led me to the enchanting songs of Blue Jeans and Carmen (which is my current favourite). And now I understand why Lana Del Rey is talked about so much. It feels like each song is a little world that we're being taken through to explore.
It has the, quite unusual, ability of sounding modern whilst sounding like it's been snatched from the 1930s-40s. There are elements of old timey-ness that keep you hooked, with lyrics so smooth you'll want to make sure you know the words so you can mouth along with them (at least, in my case that's true).
If you enjoy at least 2 or 3 of Lana Del Rey's songs, then I urge you to buy the whole album, as you'll undoubtedly love the rest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 9:38 PM BST

xx (Digipack)
xx (Digipack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
I had only ever heard of/listened to Heart Skipped A Beat and Islands,
so I thought I'd take a chance and buy the album.

I was definitely not disappointed.
It's so easy to listen to, and atmospheric.

I especially love Fantasy. It's a rather haunting song.
Nice to listen to at night time in bed, with just you and this beautiful music.

I highly recommend it, even if you're not sure, just take a chance.

4 PORT USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED HUB FOR LAPTOP / PC / COMPUTER OR MAC
4 PORT USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED HUB FOR LAPTOP / PC / COMPUTER OR MAC

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 12 July 2010
This little thing works well, and doesn't get in the way.
Very good for the cheap price!

Ergo-Tiltę Portable Laptop Stand - BLACK
Ergo-Tiltę Portable Laptop Stand - BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 5 April 2010
I highly recommend this product to anyone even thinking about it.
It lifts your laptop about an inch or so from whatever surface you're working on.
I was a little concerned I wouldn't be able to rest it on my lap, but it's rather comfortable once you get it in the right position.
And if I'm not able to, I can just fold the stands in at the back to make it flat.
I also like the front part that stops your laptop from sliding forward.
It's very subtle yet manages to do it's job well.
Also it adds barely any weight when carrying it and my laptop around, which is good for me since I'm not very strong ha.

So in conclusion, 5/5 for this remarkable and simple laptop stand.
Worth every penny.

30 Seconds To Mars
30 Seconds To Mars

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 20 Dec 2009
This review is from: 30 Seconds To Mars (Audio CD)
Put simply, I adore this album.
There are several really powerful and thrilling songs.
Buddha for Mary, in particular, is a rather unique song, as it doesn't really start in a 'traditional' way.
It may come off as a little 'strange' at first, but you won't regret giving it a chance.
The Mission is one of my favourites, as it's fast paced and keeps you enveloped in the song.

I'd go as far to say this album is the most consistent in terms of good songs out of all 3 albums,
which makes it better since it's their debut album.

Definitely worth buying.