Profile for Richard Elliott > Reviews

Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 3.93

2.0 out of 5 stars It's a bit s*** really., 21 May 2014
This review is from: Commando [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
Don't get me wrong, I like Arnie, but this film shows why he owes such a debt of gratitude to James Cameron. Cameron made him a big star with The Terminator and, after he'd made a load of fairly average action films (Total Recall excepted), he made him a massive star with Terminator 2. This film is a perfect example of the kind of stuff he was churning out along the way. Let's put it this way, I have absolutely no imagination, no eye for a good picture and I'm sure I couldn't edit a film together to save my life. However, I reckon that even I could do at least as good a job as the producers of this film if you gave me a load of money to spend on cars, guns and dynamite. It's a film that's hard to hate but you just know it could have been so much more.

The World's End [DVD]
The World's End [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Price: 7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't realise they made s**** flavour cornettos., 5 May 2014
This review is from: The World's End [DVD] (DVD)
This film is an allegory. It's a warning to all filmmakers about what happens if you get too big and famous. You might make some good films, but then you start to believe your own hype and think that you can do whatever you want and people will like it.

This film just doesn't make any sense. I would recommend giving it a miss and just watch Shaun of the Dead again.

Wartner Wart and Verruca Removal 1.5ml Pen
Wartner Wart and Verruca Removal 1.5ml Pen
Price: 7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing, 6 Mar 2014
My 5 year old daughter has had a really stubborn verruca on her foot. We have previously tried Bazuka and a Boots own brand treatment of the type that freezes the verruca. After numerous treatments neither of them had made any difference and it seemed to have become really deeply rooted. We had seen the Wartner Pen and noticed that it had good reviews but, being naturally sceptical, couldn't imagine how it would be any better than the other treatments we had tried. We bought it and applied it, as directed, over four days and after this period nothing really seemed to have changed. We were a bit disappointed but decided that we would give her foot a few days to recover and then treat it again. However, quite unexpectedly, after about a week she showed us her foot which had a piece of loose skin she was fiddling with. We were amazed to find that this piece of skin was actually her verruca which was literally falling out in one piece. After a few more days another piece came loose and fell away and, upon inspection, this appeared to be the final piece of the root. Fast forward 10 days and foot is almost completely healed and its clear to see that the verruca has gone. She experienced no pain or discomfort in the whole process and never felt the need to complain once. Absolutely amazing.

In Rude Health: The funniest and most explicit stories from the NHS
In Rude Health: The funniest and most explicit stories from the NHS
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value at 99p, 29 Dec 2013
Clearly, according to other reviewers I am young at heart as I found a collection of stories about stupid people getting a variety of objects stuck in a range of bodily orifices rather amusing. As is the case with books of this type some of the stories will make you laugh a lot whilst some will barely raise a smile. I found some of the stories to be very short and overall the book took less than an hour to read. Anyone who works in a job dealing with members of the public will not find the fact that many idiotic people walk among us to be much of a revelation. It gave me quite a few laughs so I would happily recommend it to anyone.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I've got a bad feeling about this...., 28 Dec 2013
I recently lost an elderly relative who, it turned out, was dying when I was waiting to visit her in hospital. The doctor suggested it may have been better not to go and see her as she was extremely unwell and, instead, remember her how she was when she was in good health.
For me that also explains why, if you liked the first three Indiana Jones films, you should probably give this one a miss and just remember them when they were great.

What's wrong with it? The story doesn't seem very engaging; the effects are more digital than physical; It seems wrong that it isn't set in the 30s; Shia Labeouf's character doesn't work for me. I could go on but, rather depressingly as I think he's one of the best film actors of his generation, I think one of the main reasons is that Harrison Ford is just too old for the action in this film to be believable.

Do yourself a favour and, if you haven't already seen this film, don't bother and just stick to the other three. You won't regret it.

Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [DVD]
Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars How do you give no stars?, 23 Nov 2013
I really enjoyed Nativity and after the first two minutes of Nativity 2 I thought it was going to be hilarious. How wrong I was. It did however bring a tear to my eye in the end....mainly because I took the kids to see it at the cinema and I realised I'd wasted 30.

G-Shock Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Digital Display and Black Bracelet strap  GW-M5610BC-1ER
G-Shock Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Digital Display and Black Bracelet strap GW-M5610BC-1ER

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great watch, 20 Nov 2013
I bought this watch because I needed a timer to help me remember when time delay locks at work are going to open. I spent a while deciding whether to get this watch or the cheaper model with the resin strap. I'm so glad that I got this one. It looks really smart and the negative display looks great on an all black watch. It isn't a large watch and everything about it is quite understated, so it doesn't look silly like a few G Shock watches can. A few people commented that the display isn't that easy to see but I don't agree. The backlight is a really subtle green which works perfectly at night time too. I have to admit that I thought I would love the auto illuminate function but I turned it off after a while as normal hand movements, especially when driving, seem to turn it on far too much. It's pretty easy to switch back on if I decide to. Some reviewers also mentioned that the alarm isn't very loud. They're right about this. The alarm sounds for about 10 seconds and is fairly quiet, but for me that's perfect as I can hear it at work when I need to, without it being too distracting....don't expect it to wake you up in a morning though! In summary, what's not to love? This is a smart looking watch which keeps perfect time and has a few useful functions that you will actually use.

Merrell Men's Kahuna Iii M Classic Taupe Sandal J31011 10 UK
Merrell Men's Kahuna Iii M Classic Taupe Sandal J31011 10 UK
Offered by OutdoorGear Outdoor Experts
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the mopeds of the shoe world!, 19 Jun 2013
Before you read this review, let's get one thing straight. I am not some kind of long haired, sandal wearing hippie. In fact, until this summer I have never worn a pair of sandals in my adult life. Even more than that I have always given men wearing sandals a wide berth and privately questioned the state of their mental health.

However, this summer I am fortunate to be going on a fantastic holiday, somewhere hot that will require a lot of walking. After sorting through my threadbare shoe collection I decided I needed something new. I could not help but be surprised that I found myself looking at these sandals and decided they might just fit the bill. I ordered them from Amazon Marketplace for less than 40, which seems to be a pretty bargain price, as they are 75 in Blacks.

They have now arrived and I have to admit that they are probably the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. I've tried them out on a few fairly long walks on hot days and i'm sure they will be perfect for my holiday as they do not rub and my feet always feel cool.

For a pair of sandals these look about as nice as you're going to get and they seem, as is normal with Merrell shoes, to be pretty well made.

What's the down side. Well, they are sandals, and I still can't quite come to terms with the fact that I own, and am enjoying wearing a pair. They really are the mopeds of the shoe world because they are fantastic...but only until your mates see you!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 9:29 PM GMT

Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones
Sony Ericsson MW-600 Bluetooth Stereo Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 30 Mar 2012
I've had these for about a week now and so far I absolutely love them. The Bluetooth unit is tiny, clips easily to your clothes and it works perfectly. I admit that I'm not an audiophile but the sound from the earphones seems great to me. I have an iPhone 4 working on ios 5 and all the functions (track display, forward and reverse) all work. It's a great feeling listening on headphones with no cable to snag and the unit operates quite some distance from your phone. I've been using it all week and it's still got a full charge too. This is a purchase I don't regret.

Oregon Scientific RMR329 Projection Clock with Indoor/Outdoor Temp
Oregon Scientific RMR329 Projection Clock with Indoor/Outdoor Temp
Offered by PHOTO UNIVERS
Price: 45.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Clock, 29 Oct 2011
I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews for this clock. I've owned one for a couple of years and it is brilliant. The blue projection is quite bright but what kind of an idiot would want to set the clock to constantly project the time? It's much better to keep the projection off until you tap the snooze button which will show the time for a few seconds. Perfect timekeeping, good alarm and it's been 100% reliable for me-what more could I ask for?

Page: 1 | 2