Profile for Gilly H. > Reviews

Content by Gilly H.

Gilly H. "Gilly H" (Wales)

Learn Spanish - Word Power 101
Learn Spanish - Word Power 101
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little book to extend your vocabulary, 1 April 2013
A lot of the reviews are complaining that this book is either too basic, or not basic enough, but it does exactly what it claims to do. It gives you a new word, (with a nice little picture), then a few simple sentences putting the word in context. It does not teach Spanish grammar, nor pronunciation, but if you have a bit of basic knowledge already then this is a very useful and fun little book, and gratis! Muy bien!

The Drought
The Drought

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking rites of passage read..., 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Drought (Kindle Edition)
Don't be put off by the length if this book, it flies by - i found myself carryng my Kindle everywhere with me while reading this, and sneaking a paragraph or two at every opportunity. If I'd had a waterproof cover I'd even have taken it into the shower with me! I rarely give 5 stars, but felt this book deserves it.

The story follows a number of teenagers, their friends, parents and teachers during a sweltering fortnight of drought in smalltown Kentucky. The plotlines of this eclectic group of individuals diverge and converge, weaving around and between each other masterfully. The book is very well written, with great character development, and a sense throughout the book of things spiralling out of control in the overpowering heat, and building to a catastrophic climax, (hinted at the beginning).

Read it! Meanwhile I'm on the look out for more by this author...

Ethan Frome
Ethan Frome
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight! A classic that should be better known, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Ethan Frome (Kindle Edition)
What a gem! I found this when browsing to stock up my new Kindle, and despite being fairly well read had never come across it before.

The central character Ethan Frome is the classic strong silent hero, who endures a suffocating existence with his bitter, hypochondriac (and probably seriously depressed) wife in their isolated home. When his wife's young cousin comes to live with them to help out she is a breath of fresh air, and Ethan falls desperately in love with her. The novel is written in flashback, so that you read with a sense of impending doom and hopelessness, adding a poignant edge to the developing relationship between Ethan and Mattie.

This is a lovely book, sensitively written in a vivid, lively style (to me it reads like a contemporary novel). I read it In just two sittings, wished it was longer, and will definitely be reading more Wharton.

More Than Kin
More Than Kin
Price: 1.91

4.0 out of 5 stars A delicate little gem, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: More Than Kin (Kindle Edition)
A lovely, gentle exploration of regret, and of the love between father and son. Some will find it too slow moving, and to be fair very little actually happens in the novel, but it is beautifully written and the characters are very well rounded and believable. I really came to care for Walt and the friends he makes at the diner.

I was lucky enough to pick this up for free on my Kindle, and probably wouldn't have found it otherwise, but I would happily recommend it now that the price had risen to anyone who values characterisation and sensitivity over action and adventure.

Note, one reviewer mentions lots of grammatical and spelling errors in their edition; I did not find this to be a problem in the Kindle edition.

Cluttered Homes, Cluttered Minds 2 - Living Rooms and Family Rooms (Home and Family, How To, Tips and Hints on Organizing, Cleaning, and Removing Clutter)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless book, don't waste your time with it, use the time to tidy up instead!, 13 Feb 2012
Wasn't going to write a review as it was free, and i'm not a naturally negative person, but i do want to avoid anyone wasting 77p on it, so thought I would. I can save you some time and give you a potted version of the advice given in this 'book' for nothing:

1) get some bookshelves and put your books on them (make sure the bookshelves are the right size though!)
2) put things away when you finish with them rather than leaving them lying around
3) ask your children to pick their things up
4) use a tray to carry crockery into the kitchen

Follow this revolutionary advice and you will have a clutter free home!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2012 1:06 PM BST

A Sister's Gift
A Sister's Gift
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but unsatisfying, like a box of soft centred choccies., 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
I've seen this writer described as 'the British Jodi Picault' and I would agree with this - her stories are always based around an unusual and usually unpleasant central situation, as is this one. I found it hard to put down, but always had the same nagging, guilty feeling that i always have when I read JP's books, and felt the same when I finished - unsatisfied and wishing i'd better spent my time.

I liken this (and every JP book i've read) to gorging on a big box of soft centred choccies: you eat one, nice, the second, yummm, another, then another..... You know you shouldn't, you tell yourself to stop, but they are so tasty and....just there! Having eaten the whole box, you feel rather sick and definitely unsatisfied, and longing for something more savoury and substantial. having just finished this book I think I need to return to Dickens or Hardy or another classic, to settle my stomach!

We see the story from the perspective of the two sisters alternately, but I found I didn't care for either and couldn't accept the motivation and decision making of both at certain points in the story. I also tired of all the epiphanies, changes of heart and plot twists, which were sometimes rather clumsily brought in.

So, to sum up, it's a a compulsive read which I know many will enjoy, but it lacks depth and is, for me, ultimately unsatisfying.