Profile for squidgyk > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
High: A Party Girl's Guide To Peace
High: A Party Girl's Guide To Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, 18 Jan. 2015
If you have been following Tara's incredible blog, you will know what a gorgeous, honest and heartfelt writer she is. Her debut book, 'High', is everything that you can expect from her blogs and so much more.

The book talks about how she thought she had found peace as a party girl, looking to feel a certain way, but in all the wrong places. Today, she is a shining example of cleaning up our thoughts and actions, so we can be impeccable with our word and live a life beyond our wildest dreams. We're invited to welcome a different, more authentic kind of peace.The thing I loved about this book was that Tara weaves personal stories in with advice and exercises, so that we can really get to the bottom of peace and what it means for us. She allows us to explore the freedom of who we really are, without pushing any kind of agenda onto us

You do not have to be a 'party girl' to get something from this book. It's all about creating your own party and examining whether your actions align with your intentions. I loved this book- this definitely won't be the last time I read it.

Daring & Disruptive: Unleashing the Entrepreneur
Daring & Disruptive: Unleashing the Entrepreneur

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect boost!, 17 Jan. 2015
I have been a big fan of the Renegade Collective, Lisa's magazine, for a while now, and I was absolutely delighted when this book was released on Kindle. I knew that this book would be great, but it far exceeded my expectations.

This book is very empowering for anyone who is trying to defy the status quo or go against what is expected of them, in life or in business. It is the perfect book for new or established entrepreneurs, and goes into not only how you make a success of yourself, but some of the mindset pitfalls you might encounter as well.

However, this is not a step-by-step guide to starting up a business and the tools you should implement. It's an overall guide on exactly how to be daring and disruptive in everything you do, and it's the perfect boost you need when starting a new project.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and it has made me more determined than ever to follow my own path, experiment with life and let me be guided by my passion.

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it- a new classic!, 21 Nov. 2012
I've just finished reading this book (finished it far too quickly, I might add!) and I absolutely loved it! I wasn't familiar with the author before reading it, but this would be the perfect stocking filler for anyone who loves reading and literature. I've already recommended it to several people. The book is quite short, but perfectly formed.

I really hope there will be more editions to come. I don't really want to give you any examples of conversations in the book, as I'd love you to read them for yourselves, but you won't be disappointed. Also, I'm British, but living in Australia at the moment, and for some reason it made me very homesick! A great present for friends and family- enjoy!

Conscious Medicine: Creating Health and Well-being in a Conscious Universe
Conscious Medicine: Creating Health and Well-being in a Conscious Universe

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and inspirational!, 1 Nov. 2012
I've just finished reading 'Conscious Medicine' and knew I had to jump on Amazon and write a review straight away. Gill Edward's book is absolutely fascinating. Like many other people who have reviewed the book, I'm passionate about energy medicine and energy psychology and have been reading a number of books lately to expand my knowledge. 'Conscious Medicine' is different to a lot of others of the same genre though. The author clearly has lots of experience and knowledge in the field, but has also gone on her own journey of healing, which she shares in the book. Although lots of topics are covered, the information is in-depth, personal and often humorous, therefore making the book highly readable.

The book covers several topics related to energy healing and conscious medicine, many of which I hadn't really thought of before, but made perfect sense to me when I read about them. These included areas such as how families can sometimes imprint their energy onto other families members unconsciously, which then create their reality; the idea of 'waves' and particle energy; coping with 'lizard' brain (all explained in the book!); EFT and Matrix Reimprinting, and how to shift your energy if you or a family member are dealing with an illness. The mind/body connection never fails to fascinate me, so I read this book quite quickly!

I particularly loved the exercises at the end of each chapter, many of which involve visualisation, which uncovered some interesting things for me as I was doing them. The '12 Steps' at the end of the book is also a great way to round off and summarise what we have learnt (I genuinely feel this book allows to learn more about ourselves). The resources at the back of the book are fantastic as well, and include websites, books (with summaries), DVD, associations and even some recommended practitioners. I bought this on Kindle and have bookmarked and highlighted throughout the book, so I can come back to things.

If you are curious about conscious or energy medicine, or you're simply looking to expand your horizons on health and wellbeing, I highly recommend this book. It is very readable, absolutely fascinating and I feel as though I have learnt a lot from the author.

Tales From the Yoga Studio (Tales from the Yoga Studio 1)
Tales From the Yoga Studio (Tales from the Yoga Studio 1)
by Rain Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 1 Sept. 2012
I have to admit, I was a little sceptical about reading this book, as I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen in it. Still, I downloaded it, as I love yoga, and was surprised to discover that there were actually very few 'yoga meets fiction' books available.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and was completely wrong about predicting what I thought the book was going to be like. The storyline is easy to follow, but not predictable, and you feel like you get the know the characters really well by the end of the book. When you say the words 'yoga studio', I'm sure one or two people have preconceptions about the people who go there, but Mitchell takes these stereotypes and then pushes them, challenging readers' expectations.

I can't recommend the book highly enough, whether you love yoga or not. It's an easy and relaxing read- I'm eagerly awaiting the follow-up!

Counselling for Toads: A Psychological Adventure
Counselling for Toads: A Psychological Adventure

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read!, 1 Sept. 2012
I've been looking into training to become a counsellor for a little while now and was recommended this book through another author. I've never approached Transactional Analysis before, but this was the perfect introduction. If only every style of counselling could be written about in this way!

The book is very informative and I actually learned a lot about myself through reading the book. It is very easy to read and humorous. De Board uses the original 'Wind in the Willows' story very cleverly and it really was a pleasure to read. I know I'll read it again and again, and it has furthered my interest in training to become a counsellor. A must-read for anyone in counselling or who'd simply like to get to know themselves and others a little bit better!

Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing
Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing
by Anita Moorjani

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for words!, 5 Jun. 2012
I knew as soon as I started reading this book that this book was going to form a very dear place in my heart like no other book has before. I can honestly say that I've never been so moved as I was by Anita's journey and the messages that her NDE gives to us. There were moments in the book where I was move to tears and felt the need to highlight lots of amazing quotations and passages.

The book is split into three sections- the first, about Anita's life and diagnosis; the second, about her life after her recovery and finally, the messages she brought back with her after her NDE. I've decided for this review not to delve into too many 'spoilers', as I'd love everyone to read this book. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the world would be a better place if we did all read this book!

I know that I'll read this book again and again and will recommend it highly to my family and friends. I feel that Anita's messages have made me look at the world in a different way, as lots of other reviewers have commented, and that I am a better person for having read this book. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Buddhism Plain and Simple (Arkana)
Buddhism Plain and Simple (Arkana)

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air!, 21 Feb. 2012
As lots of reviewers have already commented, this book is a breath of fresh air amongst the countless other books written about Buddhism. I've read, or should I say, have tried to read, a few books on the topic before, but many are full of unnecessary jargon and complicated explanations. This book makes Buddhism approachable, and as it says in the title, keeps it 'plain and simple'. I felt truly informed when I finished the book and have taken lots of excellent ideas away from it.

I bought the Kindle version of the book, but am thinking about ordering the paperback version as well and making sure I read it once a year. What a find!

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute revelation!, 28 Nov. 2011
I initially stumbled across this book after reading an article about adrenal fatigue during a long period away from work with what I've always thought was Chronic Fatigue/M.E. I've been ill with Chronic Fatigue on-and-off for around 10 years. I downloaded a sample onto my Kindle, and knew as soon as I'd finished the sample that Adrenal Fatigue had been the culprit all these years! I then downloaded the full book, and it's probably the best purchase I've ever made!

The quiz at the front of the book was very insightful and all of the specific symptoms mentioned corresponded to me exactly. The book is very easy to read, and addresses supplements, food choices, how your body clock works, how your body responds to stress and what to expect when recovering from adrenal fatigue.

I really cannot recommended this book highly enough, even if you feel you're slightly more stressed at work than you should be and want to know what might be causing it. There are varying degrees of adrenal fatigue and this book addresses ways to deal with all of them. Two weeks after reading the book, I've altered my diet and feel a lot better than I did. I'm also going to have to order a paper copy of the book as well and go through it again with a fine tooth comb! An absolute find!

The Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers and the Official Highway Code Book 2011
by Driving Standards Agency (Great Britain)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and excellent for confidence-building, 31 Oct. 2010
I bought this book a few weeks ago to prepare for my theory test, which I passed on Friday with 50/50 for my theory. I really think that if I hadn't bought this book, I wouldn't have achieved such a mark- it really is money well spent. The format is clear, concise and exceptionally easy to use. The book also includes the recently added 'case studies', advice under each answer to give you more confidence and the complete Highway Code. I also had a driving theory CD, but I really believe that this book enabled me to pass the exam.

If you are preparing for your test, I thoroughly recommend this book. You'll be glad you've had it after you pass with flying colours!

Page: 1 | 2