Profile for BettyBoop > Reviews

Shadowy Horses, The
Shadowy Horses, The
by Susanna Kearsley

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, cozy read, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Shadowy Horses, The (Paperback)
I read Susanna Kearsley's Winter Sea -hated it. Gave another chance with Marriana-loved it(my fave so far, minus the baby bit). Now on to shadowy horses- really enjoyed it!

I loved the atmosphere throughout the whole book, and I had previously read reviews which mentioned boredom at the historical bits, but I found them really interesting, and enjoyed reading about it.
I loved most of the book, including the use of scots throughout.

Only thing I really was disappointed in, was that nearing the end of the book, I started to feel like the climax that had been gearing up, never really happened. I would've preferred something with more...OOMPF, to really impact me. Instead, I was left wondering why no one seemed bothered by certain things that had happened, and a sense of .."was that it?" However, as frustrating as that was, I did really enjoy the book and it's given me a longing to visit that part of Scotland!

I'm glad that I've found this author, and that I gave a second chance, because I've now enjoyed two books of hers. I purchased Firebird today, and will start reading that this week!

The Rose Revived
The Rose Revived

5.0 out of 5 stars fizzy, fun read, 4 July 2012
This review is from: The Rose Revived (Paperback)
I've been a katie fforde fan for a few years (on and off!) since reading my first and favourite "Paradise Fields"!

After reading a few "duds" i was unsure if i really wanted to read this. But do! It's a really great read and it kept me hooked all the way through!
It's got romance and great romance scenes, without it being over the top or crass. It's a light bubbly read :)
It's up there with my favourites now.

I often feel that a lot of her characters will at times be real pushovers (which is ok, but sometimes its TOO much), but not with this book! Three engaging characters.

I will say though, that i felt like the ending was a bit rushed, but honestly, i feel that with a lot of katie fforde books. Don't let that put you off, its a great book!

Recipe for Love
Recipe for Love

3.0 out of 5 stars Grrrr! I can't stand weak protagonists!, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Recipe for Love (Hardcover)
I started to worry when i got to about 30% of the way through the book (kindle edition), to find that the main character had already slept with the main guy, and i then thought, where else can this go!? Well, im now on 70%, and it turns out, not much can go on!
I'm truly disappointed with this book! I'm a Katie Fforde fan, and athough i've not liked ALL the books (living dangrously was another annoying one for me), i still had hoped for more! The main character is very, very weak. I know that there are some people that allow themselves to be a push over, but come on!
She's staying at a huge mansion type place, and she has ended up making dinner or tea for the judges, serving them, putting her position as a contestant in jeapordy so she can make a wedding cake for people she doesnt even know, waiting as a servant on the in laws of the house owner, spoken down to....you name it! There is even a bit in the book where after she 's gone above and beyond for these people, she's asked if she can stay at the house during the time she is meant to be finding recipes for the finale of the competition.
The spoilt brat villain , Cher, could not get away with the stuff she is doing. It would be highly suspicious and she would be disqualified. No one is doing anything about anything! In order to be a nice person, it doesn't mean to be walked over in this way!

I'm starting to not want to even continue. It's just been pages and pages of her deciding if she likes Gideon or not....there is no spark between them. He cannot have fallen in love with her within 2days!!

There are so many annoying and obnoxious parts to this book, im thinking this is close to being the worst one i've read (of katie's).

This being said, im giving it 3 stars, because i do like a Katie Fforde book, and i'm also pregnant and it could be im getting angrier than i usually would in regards to a book!!

Living Dangerously
Living Dangerously

3.0 out of 5 stars I honestly hate Polly!, 20 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Living Dangerously (Paperback)
I'm giving this a 3star rating out of love for reading Katie FForde novels. I've only read 4 so far and my first and favourite was Paradise Fields!
THIS one took me so long to get into! I had it for about 3months before i even got past the second chapter. I'm now about 95 % through the book (kindle edition) and im skipping through bits because the protagonist is a moron. lol. I can't read through her idiocies anymore. She is bland and she keeps going on and on about wanting to remain poor and independent and these are the reasons she wont marry a great guy (who actually seemsa bit violent)....I am soooo sick of this Polly character!!

Anyway...rant semi over with (lol), i still enjoyed the middle of the book, but the beginning and ending are lagging...However i've loved all other KF books ive read...just not this one...

Watercolour for Absolute Beginners
Watercolour for Absolute Beginners
by Bill Whitsett

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it as a gift and ..., 11 Oct. 2011
I bought this book as a gift to my grandad. He has always wanted to learn to watercolour properly and i thought this one would be great. Turns out it is! He loves it! The pictures are amazing and its very thorough and a great one for beginners.

Weekend Baking
Weekend Baking
by Sarah Randell

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!!, 1 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Weekend Baking (Hardcover)
Every review had 5 stars, so i just had to get it! I'm so glad i did!

Up to now I've made 5 things from here. The peanut butter and maple cookies, the cherry streusel cake (which combined my favourite flavours), the fruit cake (which was amazing), vanilla cupcakes with raspberry frosting and the choc chip cookies. Everything turned out perfect.
I even used substitutes. I'm a gluten free cook and i basically subbed all the flours. I used combinations of spelt flour and brown rice flour and whenever it calls for milk, i will use almond milk with a teaspoon or so of olive oil to help with the fat content. Instead of cherry jam i would use raspberry or any really! For fruit cake i even ommited the nuts and i used a selection of figs, dried apricots and dried cherries and topped the cake with warm apricot jam. It wass a huge hit with the family!!

My husband loved the peanut butter cookies and basically ate them all! I loved the fact that i could make them and store them in the fridge pre-rolled and then you just slice them up when needed and pop them in the oven for 12mins.

My next thing I want to make is the muesli bars and the date bars. Oh, and also the almond cake!!!

Nevermind "weekend baking", i've been absorbed baking all week!! If it wasn't for all the other stuff i have going on, i would be baking something out of this everyday. In fact, i nearly am, lol.

The layout is great, she uses the same selection of pans the whole way throughout, so you dont need to buy a bunch of things. Pictures are gorgeous and the recipes are so simple yet different and not too out there. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THERE IS A PICTURE FOR EVERY RECIPE , YAY!!!!

Buy the book, you will be pleased you did!!

The Skinny French Kitchen
The Skinny French Kitchen
by Harry Eastwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to like this book but..., 21 May 2011
I'm so disappointed.
Here's why:
I had bought Harry Eastwood's other book ' Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache' about a yr ago, and after i had baked 1 recipe from it (banana and zucchini bread), i was very eager to try the rest and initially had marked it a 5. Well, i won't go into everything i made but i had written a review for that also. I found they did not turn out right and they did not taste right. Then this book came out.
I LOVE French food and i was so pleased to see that she had posted calorie counts under each of the recipes. The recipes in themselves seemed great but again, another pet peeve is that there are not enough pictures. I know this is a personal preference, and i think i would not mind as much if what i had made first turned out to be a good recipe, but alas, i've yet again had a bad experience with a Harry Eastwood book.
I made the Raspberry Macarons. I read through the recipe twice, just to get a feel for it, because i know that macarons are supposed to be really difficult to make, but this recipe looked fairly simple so i decided to give it a go. I do not think the recipe went into enough instruction on how to make them properly, when it gives the instruction for "food colouring" and "paste is best", there are no quantities and in the actual instructions she doesn't specify how much she used either she just says "i like to use a lot of colour". Well, that's great, but how much?? I had to look it up online. I also had to look up online about where to actually find food colouring paste as i could not find it in any specialty shop OR supermarket (is this just where i live!? I bought this book in UK and was looking for the colouring paste in Plymouth). I wish she would have also told me to SIEVE the icing sugar and almond meal and when i put it into a piping bag, it was the wrong consistency, it was too runny. They did not turn out great at all and there was a lot left over and i used two trays. Maybe i will change this review at some point after possibly making something else (madeleines maybe?). But after bad experiences with the other book and now this...I don't know...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2011 10:51 AM BST

Bus Under the Leaves (Young Puffin Books)
Bus Under the Leaves (Young Puffin Books)
by Margaret Mahy

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 3 Sept. 2010
I was about 8yrs old when i read this book. I remember it so well because it was the first book without loads of illustrations that i actually read all the way through! I was so excited by the book, it was innocent yet adventurous and it made you actually want to find a bus under the leaves!
Well, i'm 25 now, and i will always remember this as being my favourite book and i've always remembered it. In fact i looked it up on amazon to see if it was here also. Seeing the Title brought a smile to my face :)
I'd recommend this to any child.

Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
by Yotam Ottolenghi

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing and pretentious undertones!, 20 July 2010
i had never heard of ottolenghi before but i read the reviews and thought id give it a go. I was so excited to receive this book and i flicked through from back to front. I loved the look and ingredient lists for the baked goods (towards the back), but as i got to the front of the book, my interest started to dwindle. The first part is LOADS of salad, and im not a salad fan. They also use lots of fruit and vegetable combinations and outlandish ingredients ive never heard about-and yes im usually always shopping in deli's and healthfood/alternative food stores. I decided to then read the introduction section. I really enjoyed the first part and i felt that the explainations of how the restaurant got together was sufficient. Then it carried on and on and on! I also felt that throughout the book there was a pretentious undertones.
I have tried a few recipes and those that i did try i felt (like a previous reviewer put quite exact) that tehy seemed to be lacking in something or not enough of something to make it taste right...but again, thats just my opinion on taste.
I've not tried any of the baked goods yet, and they do look amazing.
Please remember its only a fellow foodies opinion! I wouldnt recommend this book but i do like the pictures and the fact that they accompany a snippet of thought with each recipe....

In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion
In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion
by Jo Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Loooove, 10 April 2010
really love the book. i want to cook literally everythinng in it. even stuff i dont usually like. i wish i had entertaining nights JUST so i can cook from it! all in a great sell :)

Page: 1 | 2