Profile for One Love, One Heart, Lets Get Together... > Reviews

Content by One Love, One ...

One Love, One Heart, Lets Get Together... (GREAT Britain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Graduation
Graduation
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Change Is Good!, 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: Graduation (Audio CD)
OK, lets get this into perspective people;
1. Kanye West is still at the top of his game.
2. Graduation is a brilliant album.
3. Change is a good thing.
4. Kanye West is a legend.

Just because this doesn't sound like The College Dropout or Late Registration it does not constitute being a poor album. That's just naivety. Kanye has 'switched the style up' on Graduation - it's fresh, it's innovative and it's bloody great!

I agree that there is no 'Jesus Walks', however, as amazing a song that was, why would you want to buy an album that has not moved on from the last? "Because I enjoyed it" I hear you cry. Well, if you'd just open your mind up a little you might just enjoy this one too. Stop living in the past people!

The best tracks on the album, for me, include 'Champion', the epic 'Stronger', the upbeat 'Good Life', the fierce 'Can't Tell Me Nothing' and, as much as the man is not my cuppa tea (Chris Martin), 'Homecoming' is pure quality. "Flashing Lights", "I Wonder" and "Everything I Am" are classic laid-back Kanye, and contain some genius lyrics.

Every track has something to offer, there is nothing wrong with this album whatsoever. In fact, it is probably one of the best albums I have. Kanye never disappoints and already, I cannot wait for the next album!

To conclude, if you like change you'll like Graduation. It contains some magical tracks and in my opinion, Kanye has worked his genius again.

Kanye reigns supreme!

We'll Live And Die In These Towns
We'll Live And Die In These Towns
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Seriously Top Record, 7 Aug 2007
I know, bands that could get drunk on all the hype they receive annoy me a little too, and I try with every ounce of strength in my body to loathe them. Most of the time I acheive this, but once in a while a truly talented band come out to say hello, and they can't be ignored. The Enemy are one of those bands, and 'We'll Live and Die in These Towns' simply isn't to be ignored!

Top songs? " Away from Here" was an instant classic as I'm sure you're aware. The title track is brilliant, 'You're Not Alone' and 'This Song' are also genius - the best tracks on the album. The fillers ain't to shabby either.

I don't want to go into great detail, but The Enemy are awesome and deserve a listen. Give them a go!

City Of God (Cidade De Deus) [DVD] [2003]
City Of God (Cidade De Deus) [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Alexandre Rodrigues
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Eye Opener, 11 July 2007
I can safely say that 'City of God' is the most beautiful yet ruthless film I have ever seen. It seems strange to use a word such as 'beautiful' given the nature of the film, however, certain parts of the film showed courage and faith in humanity, regardless of the dreadful surroundings. Without wishing to get too emotional here, there is something truly special, even indescribable about this film. For whatever reason, I have previously avoided 'foreign' films. Big Mistake. 'City of God' was the slap in the face that I needed, and my mind has officially been opened.

The outstanding feature of this film I feel, is the absloute commitment to portraying life in the 'Favellas'. Whilst, thankfully, that is not a life I have experienced, I got a strong feeling that this was a very true representation of it. Nothing here is sugar-coated, it's in-your-face brutality from the get go. The directors have displayed fearlessness and valour in making this film, and they deserve all of the credit they have received.
Of course, most of us like to see romance and humour in films now and then, but films like 'City of God' in my opinion, are far more enjoyable. After watching, I felt both moved and lucky, and also that I had learned something new - feelings rarely witnessed after our traditional Rom-Coms.

I never like to explain the story for fear of ruining the film, but this is one that you just have to see.

Aside from simply enjoying this film and learning some new things, it has really opened my eyes to try films from other countries, films that perhaps aren't such 'easy' watching, but ones that require thought. I am now off to search for some more 'World Cinema'!

The Books of Albion: The Collected Writings of Peter Doherty
The Books of Albion: The Collected Writings of Peter Doherty
by Pete Doherty

4.0 out of 5 stars For Libertines Only, 8 July 2007
Well, I think it is safe to say that, whether positive or negative, everyone has something to say about Mr Doherty. Whilst I am accepting that diversity in opinion is a healthy thing, some of the reviews I have read about The Books of Albion have been laughable. Some react with anger at the way in which people judge Pete on his drug taking, rather than any of his work. I, however, find it amusing. How anybody can take the effort to write a piece about something they have never read is beyond me. I know that some people don't like Pete's work, because they simply don't. Fair enough. There are artists/books/films etc etc out there that I am not particularly fond of, and whilst I may take the time out to write a review explaining why I didn't like that particular piece of work, I would not even consider writing something, having not read/heard/seen it, and base it purely on what I have heard about that artist's personal life.

Of course the irony of all of this, is that the people who have written such pitiful 'reviews', posing as would-be literary experts, have gained all their information about Pete from tabloid newspapers.

I for one have read the book, and, being a fan of Pete and all, thoroughly enjoyed it. I would not advise people who don't particularly like Pete's other work to buy this. I think it is safe to say you either love him or hate him. If you fall into the latter category, don't bother.

Fans of the Libertines and Babyshambles, aka people who are able to look past his private life, may on the other hand enjoy it. Yes, at times his writing is illegible (the reason for not giving it 5*s), but on the whole, what can be read is brilliant. I don't think that Pete is pretending to be a literary genius - these are simply ramblings and diaries. I did not buy this book expecting to be blown away and shocked by his poetic brilliance, and I wasn't, although I do believe that Pete writes extraordinary and beautiful lyrics. What I did find was a fascinating insight into an icon of mine - someone that I admire, not for his 'other' activities, but for his artistic flair and his ambitious nature.

The Books of Albion are a great insight into the Libertine that some of us love for who he is. By all means read it and dislike it, but please do not write a 'review' about something you haven't read.

My advice to people who are not fans of Pete would be not to touch this book. If you admire,like or love him, read this. It is truly brilliant.

My December
My December
Offered by Bridge_Records
Price: 3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars She's Back, 4 July 2007
This review is from: My December (Audio CD)
Yes ladies and gents, the reigning Queen of pop/rock is back, and Ms Clarkson has returned with a stomping album. Admittedly, "My December" takes a while to warm up. It is not the sort of album that hits you square in the face and screams 'YES!'. However, after a couple of listens, the quality behind Kelly's third album becomes apparant. I do not own her first album, but her second, 'Breakaway' was a brilliant and fun record and what I would call generally an easy listen. 'My December' is not so kind, but that is not a bad thing. As brilliant as 'Breakaway' was and still is, there is a certain rawness and maturity to Kelly's new album that lacked in her former work.

The first single, 'Never Again' is bitter yet dazzling - a real corker, and in my opinion one of her best tunes to date. Further highlights include the emotional and brilliant 'Sober', the slightly more up-beat 'Don't Waste Your Time', the laid back "Be Still", the simply awesome 'Maybe' and the fun 'How I Feel', which is definitely the most Breakaway-like song on the album.

Kelly has been criticised for perhaps being 'one-dimensional' in her writing and sound. Although many of her songs do seem to allude to break-ups and ex's, the album and Kelly herself are far from 'one-dimensional'.

'Haunted' is apparently about someone that commited suicide and the beautiful 'Irvine' appears to have religious undertones. I feel these songs bring a variety to 'My December'. There are also some more light-hearted tracks such as 'Yeah' and 'Can I Have A Kiss?'.

Overall, 'My December' is a brilliant and mature return from the Queen of pop/rock, containing a diversity that's new to her work. Kelly sings with a certain honesty and emotion that seems to be absent in many of todays artists.

Personally, I'd advise you to give 'My December' a chance. Be patient because it will grow, and it will be brilliant.

Rock on Kelly!

Trainspotting
Trainspotting
by Irvine Welsh
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Classic, 2 July 2007
This review is from: Trainspotting (Paperback)
Wow. I finished this book yesterday and it absolutely blew me away. It's difficult these days to find a book that manages to balance wit with class, class with shock, shock with tragedy...the list goes on.

In my humble opinion, if there is one book you are going to read before you 'go to the great gig in the sky' as Rents would say, it simply has to be Trainspotting. This book grabs you by the scruff of the neck and doesn't let go until its last.

I'm thankful and frankly a little relieved that I ignored the man in the shop that told me not purchase this book, on account of the fact that I may struggle with the stong Scottish dialect with which Welsh writes. Well he was wrong. Whilst for the first page or so, the dialect is slightly challenging, you'll soon get used to it and it actually makes the book a great deal more entertaining. Welsh writes with style, in a fearless and daring manner. Trainspotting is one of the most shocking and harsh books I have ever read, but it is also the funniest.

It is difficult to convey the brilliance of this book to those who have not read it, so you'll just have to take my word for it. I can honestly prtoclaim that this is the best book I have ever read. (The film is also fantastic)

Give it a try, love it, live it. Trainspotting is simply awesome. Just don't lend it to your Granny once you've finished.

CHOOSE LIFE, CHOOSE TRAINSPOTTING!!

Pulp Fiction (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [1994]
Pulp Fiction (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ John Travolta
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 8.65

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Cooler Than Being Cool?, 27 May 2007
Pulp Fiction.

And that is about all that needs to be said for this magestic piece of work by one of the most talented and influential directors of my generation. Yes ladies and gents, believe the hype. This film is just one of those films that you have to see before you die. Pulp Fiction is Tarantino at his effortless best.

I think a lot of people go out of their way to dislike this film because of its grand recognition and its labelling of 'cool'. It seems many people want to disprove the critics and be seen to not follow the crowd. Well, such activity is pretty much impossible with Pulp Fiction, because its quality is doubtless. Tarantino has pointed out that perhaps what makes Pulp Fiction what it is, is the many scenes of simple, every day conversation. Trivial and unoriginal as it may sound, films rarely include such scenes of pragmatism. The majority of todays audiences expect incredible action and special effects to blow their minds, and we often forget that, as entertaining as it is, it does not reflect real life.

Whilst Tarantino's work is often 'off the wall' to say the least, it is the subtle inclusion of scenes such as the infamous 'Royal Burger' scene set Tarantino above from the rest.

I'm not even going to attempt to explain the plot for fear of not doing it justice and also as I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it (where have you been over the last decade?!)

In my opinin this film is one of the all time greats, certainly in modern film. Of course it is my word against those who oppose such a statement, but come judge for yourselves. If not, you are truly missing out on something special.

Favourite Worst Nightmare
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Offered by Formats
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars D Most Certainly Is For Delightful!, 29 April 2007
Just wow really.

I didn't think that these boys could better 'Whatever people say I am...' but they've done it. 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' is a more mature, heavier, deeper and altogether a more complete work of absolute brilliance than their debut (as much as I love it)

Every single song is beyond superb. From the rousing 'Brianstorm' all the way through to the unquestionably amazing '505', there is no way on earth that any Arctic Monkeys fan could dislike this album.

Aside from the almighty Libertines, for me the Arctic Monkeys are the best band of this era. With witty lyric after witty lyric, their formula miraculously never fails.

I find it hard to highlight any "stand-out" tracks because they all are, but I'm going to go for 'D is for Dangerous', the new Mardy Bum - 'Fluorescent Adolescent', 'Do Me A Favour', 'This House Is A Circus (beserk as you know what) and '505'.

A different dimension to this album is that drummer, who is on better form than ever, Matt Helders gets quite a few lines to sing and it definitely brings a fresh diversity to the music.

Honestly words cannot express the true brilliance exlpored on this album. I can only big it up so much, and I guess if you were going to buy it, you would have done already. But just in case you're pondering the idea, definitely go for it if its the last thing you do!

The Holiday [DVD] [2006]
The Holiday [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tale Of Two Stories, 12 April 2007
This review is from: The Holiday [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I'm acutally going to disagree with the majority of reviewers on this one, because I felt that Cameron Diaz and Jude Law were the saviours of this film. At times I even forgot about Kate Winslet's storyline, as the film did seem to dwell rather on the former. As much as I rate Winslet as an actress, the chemistry between her and Jack Black was as good as non-existent. I felt this let the film down slightly, because on paper that should have been a brilliant pairing. In reality, Black didn't seem to feature much, and that storyline appeared to focus more on the relationship between Winslet and the old gentleman. This is not what we were promised from the advert for the film! (although in truth, the old man made put the story into that line and made it bearable!)

That aside, there were moments of laughter over Winslet's storyline, however these seemed to subside as the film went on. Conversely, in my opinion, Jude Law and Diaz's storyline was consistantly funny and charming if at times slightly predictable.

All in all, this is a pretty good film for Christmas time and contains enjoyable, light-hearted humour. It's no epic, but then who expected it to be?

Brianstorm
Brianstorm
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome..., 30 Mar 2007
This review is from: Brianstorm (Audio CD)
...is just about the only word that sums up 'Brianstorm'. The Arctic Monkeys are officially back, and don't we love it?

I think there was a serious amount of pressure on the follow up track, after the ground breaking debut album "Whatever people say I am..."(I know they released 'Leave before the lights...' subsequently, but you get my dift), but the lads have succeeded with style. I for one am please to see the Monkeys revert back to the sort of raucous rock'n'roll that they do best at. 'Brianstorm' is the perfect return for the perfect band.

As usual the lyrics are flawless, packed with satirical brilliance and the sort of lines that make them the band they are. "We can't take our eyes off the t-shirts and ties combination, well see you later innovater!" - GENIUS. It seems so simple, but it works so well. Every detail, down to the title is simply awesome!!

I cannot wait for the album, but 'Brianstorm' will more than do for the time being.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5