Profile for Mr. James Charles Walton > Reviews

Content by Mr. James Char...

Mr. James Charles Walton (Lancaster, England)

Everything I know about teaching
Everything I know about teaching
by Mr Michael Gove
Price: 4.56

5.0 out of 5 stars A game changer. You must read this book., 25 Oct 2013
Length:: 2:15 Mins

No doubt this volume will go down in history as one of the most honest and intelligent offerings from Gove. These are might humble thoughts.

Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless Stereo Headphones/Headset with Noise Cancellation use with Ipad/iphone/Mobile/MP3/Laptop etc
Offered by Euromart (UK Royal Mail Post)
Price: 12.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive. Use for iPad. Battery lasts ages. Fold up neatly., 12 Sep 2013
Excellent. I rarely leave reviews but felt compelled to add my voice to what many others have already said: these headphones are exceptionally good value for money. They work for my iPad and MacBook Pro and I can only presume they're compatible with most bluetooth enabled gadgets. I've charged them once and have used them for about an hour every day for the last week or so with (so far) no discernible dwindling in the quality of sound. I find the connectivity is excellent but the range limited to about five metres (this may be an issue for some) but this suits my needs.

One unanticipated bonus is the way the headphones fold up and, together with the lovely bag they come with, this makes for a very versatile, travel friendly device. As someone who cycles to work, I appreciate anything compact that tidies away nicely into a small bag.

If I had one suggestion for the manufacturer, it would to include a way of softening, covering or even disabling the blue light which flashes on the right controller ear piece while the headset is on. In a lit room this is not an issue, but I use the headphones early in the morning when my wife and children are asleep and, if I have to pop into a darkened bedroom to get something, I find the blue light really fills the room, probably disturbing the sleepers. Ths is, as I say, not a major issue, but something to be aware of if, for example, you plan to use these at nighttime.

Overall, I'd happily recommend these and, considering their current price (about 15), they easily deserve that fifth star. Great product.

The Prague Cemetery
The Prague Cemetery
by Umberto Eco
Price: 16.07

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: If you happen to be stupid, lazy, racist or boring, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK, otherwise..., 13 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Prague Cemetery (Hardcover)
Somebody give that crazy recorder-blowin', lecture-givin', nicotine-smokin', salmon-travelin', beard-growin', Aquinas-readin-, list-lovin' semioticious polymath a High Five. Literature doesn't get much better than this. Read it, or be square, or whatever. It really is very good, even in translation. Going by the hilarious contrast of reviews already on t'internet for this, it seems to be clear that it's going to be a love it or hate it read for most.

I have some sympathy with the anxiety of some readers that stupid people might engage with the text as a real manifesto for anti-semitism (not to mention anti-Jesuitism among other things) but I can't help thinking that reviewers who worry of such things have missed a lot of the juicy nuance of the work. Also, I feel that the whole point of the foul yet fascinating protagonist is to demonstrate the very 'real' historical presence of cultural and institutional anti-semitism, thus giving us no place to hide (even today) from the responsibility of keeping our guard up against xenophobia in general. If anything, a racist reader might well come to her senses after reading Prague Cemetery, not that life is ever so simple.

If you enjoy Eco's other work, it's hard to imagine that you won't love this; if you're new to his writing, I suggest reading his fiction in order of publication (starting with The Name Of The Rose (Vintage Classics)) - this way you get a sense for how each work grows out of the others - then come back and join me in my big High Five.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Price: 24.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Aeropress. You can take it anywhere. Even Scotland., 18 Sep 2011
Length:: 0:43 Mins

The Aeropress is perfect for camping. I use a number of different coffee brewing methods at home, but it's hard to beat the Aeropress when it comes to travelling, camping, commuting etc. But - needless to say - always grind your coffee as late as possible; even an Aeropress won't salvage the tragedy of buying pre-ground beans.

I used the 'inverted Aeropress' method in this video. It allows for a more even extraction, and you really can taste the difference - just beware spillage!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2011 10:27 AM GMT

Finding Sanctuary: Monastic steps for Everyday Life
Finding Sanctuary: Monastic steps for Everyday Life
by Father Christopher Jamison OSB

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 24 April 2007
If there's a book I would like everyone to read, it would be this.

The Tina Project
The Tina Project
by Adam Grace
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars It needed to be said, 25 April 2006
This review is from: The Tina Project (Paperback)
Adam Grace offers us more than an excellent page-turner with this brilliant read. His prophetic commentary on the state of our ethically-challenged nation voices the concern of many. Adam Grace proves to be an excellent herald for all those who mourn for the dignity and beauty of our greatest gift: life. A book that everyone must read before it is too late.