Profile for Zoonie > Reviews

The Sopranos: Complete HBO Season 5 [DVD] [2005]
The Sopranos: Complete HBO Season 5 [DVD] [2005]
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Run, Tony, run!, 17 Oct. 2012
We finished watching series 5 last night. The image of Tony in the snow running across the fields to escape the Feds is one that will stay with me. The mystery is why do I care about this man? He is a menace to society, to women, even to his kith and kin. My loyalty to him and my deep interest in him must be because he is so well-written and acted. He is a Shakesperian character, multi-layered, complex. I hate violence normally, but if you go to a Shakespeare play, it is to enjoy the characters not to see the bodies pile up (and old Shakespeare likes to pile them up!)

The whole of series 5 is top class, but the final two episodes of the series were especially enjoyable.

impexo Purple High Sensitivity Capacitive Resistive Touch Screen Compact Stylus Pen Suitable For Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
Offered by Hong Kong Wan Xiang

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, it is purple, I like it!, 17 Oct. 2012
It works beautifully, clipping firmly into the little head phone socket in my phone, then sitting snugly under the flap of the case I bought to keep the phone in.
Also, and this is important to ME......it is a pretty colour!

(I now have approximately six little stylus pens in reserve because I would hate to go back to stabbing at the phone with fingers, or go back to the long, thin non-attachable pens which were so easily lost.)

Emartbuy® Bundle Pack of 5 Metallic Mini Touchscreen Stylus Pen suitable for Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 I9500 & Galaxy S3 I9300
Offered by emartbuyuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem solved, 13 Oct. 2012
This little pack of five stylus pens will keep me going for years. I used to lose the old, non-attachable kind at the rate of at least one a week (I am not proud of that, but it just somehow happened.)
These little beauties clip firmly into the earphone socket. Voilà! Problem solved.

Hot Pink Leather Flip Case Xylo-Cover for the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Mobile Phone.
Offered by Xylo Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and serviceable, 1 Oct. 2012
I have had this now for months. It is good quality, and good value for the price. My phone is in and out of pockets and bags, it lies on kitchen surfaces, it is occasionally dropped but this case keeps its appearance. Best of all it is pink, and if I can't have a pink phone then I must have a pink cover, innit?

Ring Snuggies - Assorted Pack Of 6
Ring Snuggies - Assorted Pack Of 6
Offered by Time line

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 1 Oct. 2012
Useless. Too thick. They went in the bin the day they arrived. Instead of the cheap plastic, I shall just have to get Himself to buy me a nice expensive diamond eternity ring to keep my wedding and engagement rings from slipping off. Now why did I not think of that before?

Mommie Dearest [1981] [DVD]
Mommie Dearest [1981] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Faye Dunaway

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Mommie Dearest [1981] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this in the company of a relative who had not read the book. She had difficulty following the story, mainly because the film is just a series of dramatic scenes with little to link them and no indication of the characters' motivations; no hint that the adopted child may at best be exaggerating and at worst be lying. These doubts are uppermost when one reads the original rather whining, gossipy tale of drunkenness, cruelty and neglect in luxurious surroundings.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 1:28 PM BST

The Sopranos: Complete HBO Season 4 [1999] [DVD]
The Sopranos: Complete HBO Season 4 [1999] [DVD]
Offered by filmrollen

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the sinner, hate the sin, 1 Oct. 2012
Tony Soprano is a womanising, double-crossing, murderous thug with a filthy tongue and a filthier temper. I LIKE HIM. He is so well-written and well-acted, a complex man who does not understand his own motivations and is seemingly blind to the consequences of his actions. Compared to other characters, especially the odious Ralphie, Tony is a good baddie. I am not alone in liking this guy....his lady psychiatrist also clearly likes HIM while deploring his activities.

Yes, this a pretty violent series, but when you think of all the bodies that lie lifeless on the stage at the end of many of Shakespeare's plays, you must acknowledge that a character -driven plot can literally get away with murder.

Series five is winging its way to my house as I type. I have been ultra careful to steer clear of spoilers so I have no idea what happens in series five and six. I am lucky to have them to look forward too, and when I get to the end, the plan is to re-watch the whole lot right from the beginning.

The Sopranos : Complete HBO Season 3 [1999] [DVD]
The Sopranos : Complete HBO Season 3 [1999] [DVD]
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's Afraid of Bertie Bass?, 22 Sept. 2012
Glorious! If you have watched all the episodes up till now and watched attentively, here is your reward. For example, YOU know what significance Bertie Bass has, because you are priviledged to be in on the inner workings of Tony's mind.

Glorious! The comedy is very understated and very black. The episode 'Pine Barrens' is exceptionally enjoyable.

Series four will not hit my doormat for another (estimated) three days. Three whole days before I can take that New Jersey Turnpike again.

The Sopranos : Complete HBO Season 2 [1999] [DVD]
The Sopranos : Complete HBO Season 2 [1999] [DVD]
Offered by rsdvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph, 9 Sept. 2012
Would series 2 be a let-down after the triumph that was the first series? We did wonder, but reassured by the comments here, we bought it then watched it at the rate of two episodes per night (we would have made it more, but real life kept getting in the way!) How is it possible to sustain the high standards? Did they have the modern- day Shakespeare working on the scripts?

I would never have believed you if you had told me that I would be gripped by a long-running series about a very violent Mafia boss, a series with graphic scenes of killing. Normally I run a mile from that genre, and there is the main reason that I have discovered The Sopranos so late.

Series 3 should be with us in a day or two, so our withdrawal symptoms will not last too long.

Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 2 [DVD] [2012]
Mrs Brown's Boys - Series 2 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars The Queen of Dublin Town, 2 Sept. 2012
Brendan O'Carrol is one of the few comedians who can make you laugh just by being there, like Tommy Cooper or Chic Murray. Like them also, he can breathe real humour into a 'corny' joke, the joke being that it IS pure corn. The supporting cast clearly have a problem not laughing when O'Carrol is performing, and who can blame them? The man is a comedy natural. He sometimes deviates from the script, and then his fellow actors really crack up.

In Dublin, everyone tells hilarious Northsider jokes, and when I saw the title of the Browns' local newsapaper, it dawned on me that Mrs Brown's Boys is one long Northsider joke.

(And that beautiful Dublin accent!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17