Profile for mailcaz@yahoo.co.uk > Reviews

Wheat Belly Cookbook
by William Davis
Price: 12.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Wheat Belly Cookbook (Hardcover)
I was expecting a cookbook full of great alternatives to wheat such as lentils and beans but I was disappointed to find a lot of recipes using almond meal, which as it turns out is incredibly expensive. If you want a way to still eat your cake and have plenty of time and money then this might be great for you but in terms of a sustainable easy way of reducing wheat it is not that.

On top of that the author is not just anti-wheat but anti-carbs as well, and his introduction is rather full-on to put it mildly. I had to stop reading and sent the book back.

I just want some ideas about simple recipes and alternatives I can cook that don't contain wheat not an anti-wheat/carb war campaign. Perhaps it is a marmite book, either you love it or hate it, but it wasn't for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 9:34 PM GMT

HTML and XML for Beginners (Cpg-Undefined)
HTML and XML for Beginners (Cpg-Undefined)
by Microsoft Press

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable - but avoid if you don't like jokey Americans!, 17 Jan 2002
As an almost-beginner of HTML I have found this book a great introduction to web-designing as it teaches you right from the beginning; step by step. It's very clear and readable and in a few hours I had enough knowledge to have started creating my own page. That alone was worth [what] I paid for the book!
The author is very good at guiding you through, and gives handy examples to back up his explanations, he even recaps on certain things where he feels it's necessary, which is very useful - especially with my memory. Throughout the chapters there are little 'notes' which are extremely useful giving tips, background and information - what I really liked was the speculative hints from the author of whether a certain new development would be likely to supersede the current technology, this added an element of interest and knowledge to the book, but it is also what will make it outdated very quickly.
The chapters on xhtml and xml are introductory chapters on the two subjects, of which I was disappointed as the book's title led me to believe there would be more information. But then it's not a particularly big book so what can you expect? The chapter are very informative and give a fantastic introduction to the two more complicated languages.
If you are not a Microsoft fan (it is published by the company and so many of their products are plugged throughout the book) or don't like jokey American writers then this is not the book for you. But if you are a beginner at all this web designing stuff, are mildly interested in understanding a little of what the future may hold in terms of web page programming, and you want it all in readable and affordable package, then you would find this book a suitable choice.

French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France
French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France
by Tim Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining & comical, full of great anecdotes!, 4 Jan 2002
This is one of the most entertaining books I've read in a long time. Moore gives an account of his journey around the Tour de France route in a most witty and comical way, his style is fresh and personal. I loved his interesting anecdotes and oddments of information about the Tour and its riders, it a is very humbling book to read as the author has such as obvious respect for the Tour riders and I can't help but totally agree. I am neither a Tour de France fanatic or a great cyclist but I still enjoyed this book immensely, and from now on shall be watching 'le tour' in a very different light. I can't recommend 'French Revolutions' enough.