Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Profile for Elizabeth Kerner > Reviews

Content by Elizabeth Kerner

Elizabeth Kerner (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
You Nest Here with Me
You Nest Here with Me
by Jane Yolen

5.0 out of 5 stars Love and learning and gorgeous art, 7 April 2015
This review is from: You Nest Here with Me (Hardcover)
What a delightful book! The illustrations are charming, and the authors' combined message of home and mother-love and deep caring is terrific. The fact that you learn about a different bird's nesting habit on every page is an unexpected plus. What a team Yolen and Stemple and Sweet have made! Really great book for young ones, and as it happens, I'm just going to go re-read it myself.

Sleepy Hollow Season 2
Sleepy Hollow Season 2
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars I know there are more episodes out there!, 23 Jan. 2015
I really enjoy the series, but WHY AMAZON have you stopped adding new episodes?!? There are at least three out there that we fee-paying souls in the UK haven't yet seen. Get with the program, Amazon. Literally. I have not only paid for my subscription, I have paid for this second season. Why the delay?!

The Last Changeling (Seelie Wars)
The Last Changeling (Seelie Wars)
by Jane Yolen

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book 2, can't wait for book 3!, 19 Jan. 2015
This is a marvellous book by any standards - wildly original, slightly mad, absorbing and beautifully written. The characters came across as utterly real people, the fairy-tale setting and situation are intriguing and laced with peril, and it's a really good read. I enjoyed the first of these books - The Hostage Prince - and despite knowing Jane and Adam's work, expected the usual second-book slump. No such thing! This starts off at a good pace and builds to a fine gallop. Can't say enough good things about this book. Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple triumph again!

Time After Time - DVD Malcolm McDowell, David Warner, Mary Steenburgen, Charles Cioffi, Rita Conde
Offered by GREAT4DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but good, 9 Oct. 2014
This is rather more dated than I remember, but the sense of wonder and the genuine horror of the premise are still there. Well worth watching.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars There is even a kitten, 9 Oct. 2014
I have just finished this superb novel by Neil Gaiman and I feel the need to pass the word (though I suspect I'm joining in quite late). Beautifully written, marvellously atmospheric novel, full of wonders and inspiring wonder. Fans of Gaiman won't expect unqualified good news, but uplifting it certainly is. And challenging. Frightening, depressing, astounding, and all from the point of view of a young boy. Bloody brilliant. Read this book. No, I don't care, just read it.

The Day the World Went Loki (Kelpies)
The Day the World Went Loki (Kelpies)
by Robert J. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Great well-written romp, great fun!, 2 Sept. 2013
What a great book! It's a marvellously well-written, funny, clever romp through a mad fantasy world. Just goes to show, be careful what you wish for! Also, beware of trickster gods, who have a tendency to take advantaage. The book made me laugh out loud several times, which is a very rare event. Buy it, read it, enjoy it to the full. It is mainly for children - actually, mainly for young lads - but I'm over 50 and I enjoyed it immensely. I predict that you will too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 9:36 AM BST

Castle - Season 2 [DVD]
Castle - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Castle. It's Nathan Fillion., 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Castle - Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent writing, good acting, a strong moral center - what more do you want from a detective series. Oh - and it stars Nathan Filliion, who is this thinking woman's crumpet. What's not to like?

Jewish Fairy Tale Feasts, The
Jewish Fairy Tale Feasts, The
by Jane Yolen & Heidi Stemple

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and delicious!, 24 Jun. 2013
This sequel to Fairy Tale Feasts is a real gem of a book, in that it is multi-faceted and lovely from all angles. I am resisting the blintze recipe (because I'm saving it for best, that's why!) but the honey cake is wonderful, thank you Heidi! Best of all, for me, are the stories. World-class folklorist and author Jane Yolen offers the simple wisdom of these Jewish folktales, and make no mistake, they are real soul food. Love the book, love the recipes, and the collage-type illustrations are charming. It's all good.

Blueberry Girl
Blueberry Girl
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical reality in rhyme - glorious book for anyone with a daughter(s), 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Blueberry Girl (Paperback)
This book defies description - the moving, powerful words will stay with you and sing in your soul long after you close the cover. I cannot imagine a more uplifting gift for a family expecting a girl, or a family with girls. Of any age. Utterly brilliant. Every home should have one.

Code Name Verity
Code Name Verity
by Elizabeth Wein

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!, 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Code Name Verity (Paperback)
Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein, is a terrific book. It is labelled 'young adult'. Well, I'm 53, and I was entirely absorbed from the first page. This is a *fabulous* read. I have been gripped from first to last and have enjoyed it immensely. Moving, real, this book draws you into the world it portrays, runs you through the gamut of emotions and leaves you in awe. There are scenes in here that I will never forget. If somebody wonderful doesn't pick up the movie rights, they will have missed a hell of a trick. This is the first book by this author that I have read. The first of many. Great, great book.

Page: 1 | 2