Profile for TragicAunty > Reviews

Progressive Gaelic 1
Progressive Gaelic 1
by Moray Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Progressive Gaelic 1 (Paperback)
I am using this book for self-study (which it is explicitly not supposed to be used for) and am finding it really, really helpful. This is probably one of the best books out there to actually teach some of the structures you need to get your head around. I particularly like how it starts off with telling you how to link sentences together - something other books take quite some time to get around to! I'm not sure if this is for complete beginners but if you, like me, have struggled with other Gaelic books this is a particularly good book to consolidate and explain the main structures of the language. I'm looking forward to using some of the future books.

The Locals' Guide to Edinburgh
The Locals' Guide to Edinburgh
by Owen O'Leary

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding and remarkable travel guide, 17 Mar. 2009
The Local's Guide to Edinburgh gives you one of those rare things in a travel book - an insider's eye. Taking you into the world which tourists just never see, this is probably one of the best guides to a city I've ever seen. It makes Edinburgh come alive to those who may only know the usual haunts and stirs in the reader a sense of adventure.

As a resident of Edinburgh, this is the one book which I can recommend without any hesitation to visitors coming to stay. Beautifully designed and written with a warm, clever wit, it is also a great souvenir of a memorable city. The authors have managed to conjure something magical with this - when are they going to explore other cities?

SanDisk Sansa Express 1Gb MP3 Player
SanDisk Sansa Express 1Gb MP3 Player

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm - ok product but doesn't sparkle, 23 Mar. 2008
To those people who say this machine just switches off - yes, it does, because this is a power saving feature. Go to the settings menu and switch the auto power off function. I seem to have been unlucky and been unable to activate the FM radio on this, which is basically why I bought it - the instructions on other reviews on this page are now out of date so far as I can see.

In any case, as an MP3 player it's fine, if a bit erratic. For some reason I cannot seem to upload more than 750Mb of material without getting "disk full" messages. Also, it seems somewhat erratic when it decides to resume a track or podcast at the last player point or at the beginning. Recording is also erratic - it seems to power itself off and crash, which is really annoying to the point of making that feature unusable. So - it's ok. It's fairly cheap. But it really isn't a radio and really not practical as a recording device. It'll do me until I can buy a better device.

Seinfeld -  Seasons 5 and 6 [DVD]
Seinfeld - Seasons 5 and 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jerry Seinfeld

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as previous seasons, 29 Mar. 2006
I think, like most British viewers, I did not catch the Seinfeld craze until long after they finished showing in the States. As a result, all that I had ever seen before I started watching the DVDs was Season 9, which is an excellent and very funny collection of episodes. I've been getting the Seinfeld DVDs as they have been released, basically watching the episodes for the first time.
Seinfeld changes as the seasons go on, and, from the perspective of someone who has only seen up to season 6, and as a result of this box set, I must say that it gets *worse* and not better. The best episodes I've seen are in seasons 3 and the first half of season 4. These really are hilarious, and worth watching again and again. However, it was with some disappointment that, when I sat down to watch season 5, I just wasn't laughing as much any more. They seem to be repeating themselves a bit, and it has the slightly "pally" feeling of a sitcom, a feeling which Seinfeld had, until now, successfully veered away from.
Ok, there are the occassional very funny moments - Kramer cavorting with an effigy of Elaine comes to mind - but it seems that its lost that special sparkle, at least in my heart. Let's hope Seasons 7 and 8 rekindle my affection for what has, until this disappointing box set, been my favourite TV show.

The Singing Detective [DVD] [1986]
The Singing Detective [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Michael Gambon

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching this, just made me sad, 14 Sept. 2004
The "Singing Detective" was a TV series that almost passed me by. I was too young to watch it when it first aired in 1986. I had always wanted to see it since I saw the famous interview with Dennis Potter and Melvyn Bragg, and after my subsequent disappointment with "Cold Lazarus" and "Karaoke" (Potter's posthumous TV productions, cobbled together in his final 3 months of life) I thought that the only real way to understand Potter's work was to watch his masterpiece.
Last week, I watched all six episodes. And the strangest thing is that watching this just made me quite miserable. Why? Well, not because of the subject matter, even though it is hardly upbeat. Nor in fact due to obvious pain expressed in this piece -- Potter's emotional and physical memories unpeeled effortlessly on screen. Rather, it is the fact that such a series just does not (and sadly could not) exist on British TV anymore. It belongs to no genre, it is confusing, it is shamelessly stylised. In fact, it is a direct predecessor of such great American TV series such as "6 Feet Under."
If you have not seen this truly remarkable piece of Television (and I know that may sound cheap, but that is what has happened to TV in the past 10 years) get hold of a copy. It really is nothing like you will have seen for years.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the hype and then read the book - you won't regret it, 12 July 2004
I was a very sceptical potential reader of this book -- but i am glad I made the plunge because this is an amazingly clever, simple, completely unpretentious little jem of a book. I picked it up at 6pm one sunday evening and stayed up through the night to finish it, and that's the first time I've done that for years.
In some respects it is a little like the book "Naive, super" by the Norwegian writer Erlend Loe, but I think "The Curious Incident..." is the stronger book. But I recommend that title to people who enjoyed this book.

Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times
Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times
by Neil Astley

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous collection, 3 April 2003
This is a fantastic collection of poetry. Funny, sad, moving, consoling, I do not think there exists a better collection of brilliant poems that all seem to be accessible. This book has relit my enthusiasm for poetry. Buy it now...