Profile for Dr. E. L. Young > Reviews

Content by Dr. E. L. Young

Dr. E. L. Young (London, England)

Holloway
Holloway
by Dan Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry and a poetic world, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Holloway (Hardcover)
Beautiful illustrations, beautiful poetic view, informative but too short. More please!
A book to pick up and keep picking up. A permanent feature by my bed.

The Kashmir Shawl
The Kashmir Shawl
by Rosie Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars People and places and plots in war time Northern India, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Kashmir Shawl (Paperback)
This book captured me from the first page. I then entered the world of war-time India and the British Raj. Beautiful descriptions - you can tell the writer visited Northern India as her descriptions ring so true. The story is beautiful but unpredictable. It keeps you enthralled to the very end.

Views from an Indian Bus
Views from an Indian Bus
by Alistair Shearer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful bed time reading and a great book to take on a journey, 21 Sept. 2013
A fabulous, entertaining and scholarly insight into Indian culture and life in India. I have travelled many times to India but I now see her with fresh eyes. Wonderful bed time reading as each chapter stands alone.

The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden
The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden
by Stanley Kunitz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wild Braid, 20 Jun. 2010
This has to be my all time favourite book.
When I was first given this book by an American friend I randomly opened it at page 64 where Stanley talks about compost. Any man who writes lovingly about his compost heap is my kind of man!
The photographs, the prose and the peotry stand alone to make this the perfect book for anyone and anytime. One can flick through and enjoy the pictures or settle down to read the prose. Many of the poems I know by heart now and they resonate with me as I go through life.
I am very surprised that in England this wonderful writer and poet passed us by without the recognition he deserved. I do wish I had been able to meet him and talk about gardens.
This book makes a perfect gift for anyone interested in gardens, nature or life.

The Blue Salon and Other Follies: A Jewish Boyhood in 1930s' Rural Germany
The Blue Salon and Other Follies: A Jewish Boyhood in 1930s' Rural Germany
by Vernon Katz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Blue Salon and other follies, 14 Dec. 2008
I really loved this book. Beautifully written. Dr Katz allows us into his home life in rural Germany before the 2nd World War and gives us insight into what it was like when the Fatherland turned against people who considered themselves to be 'Good Germans.' Like so many Jewish families, they had members who had fought and died for Germany in the First World War. They had worked to build the prosperity of Germany and were quite sure that even Hitler would value their contibution to German life. I loved his descriptions of the good folk of England who took in the 'little heathens' and shuddered as the young Vernon feared for his parents who remained in Germany, in prison. The final chapter is magnificant and humbling in its honesty. I have read that final chapter several times.
I commend this book as a good read and a story which needs to be read.