Profile for Tabbygray > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rules to Live By
Rules to Live By

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Rules to Live By (Kindle Edition)
Four stories and I'm not sure which one I liked the best - I enjoyed all of them, which isn't always the case with anthologies (I realise how hard it can be to put an anthology together, but I'm always willing to give them a go). The only authors I didn't recognise are Anah Crow and Dianne Fox, but I'll be looking at what else they've published.
Great stuff - worth reading.

Beach Boy Birthday Greeting Card
Beach Boy Birthday Greeting Card
Offered by Lip International Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Beach Boy Birthday Greeting Card
Very nice - it was very well received! It arrived when promised.

Dangerous Spirits
Dangerous Spirits

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable story by one of my favourite authors, 31 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Dangerous Spirits (Kindle Edition)
Great read. Again. I'm very fond of Henry and Vincent, but also of Jo, who is lively and brave, and I'm fascinated by Lizzie - I wish she'd had more to do this time, but it's still an exciting story.
Henry, hoping for a good response from the Baltimore Psychical Society after his lecture on a scientific response to haunting, is banned from their society and completely humiliated. He's too upset and embarrassed to tell Vincent the truth at first, then they're all swept up in a haunting which involves a very strong vengeful fire spirit, and the addition of an old friend of Vincent and Lizzie's mentor, a famous medium, Sylvester Ortensi.
The spirit is very powerful, and it takes all of their skills to figure out what's going on, there are underhand dealings and, obviously, Henry's omission regarding his reception by the society comes back to bite him, but they prevail. It's very tense - I was quite worn out by the time everything was resolved!
The usual great writing, great plot - it's 2am - I just couldn't put it down!

Azada (Full)
Azada (Full)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best I've played, 28 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Azada (Full) (App)
This was very good - different enough to keep me interested. I played it twice - the first time, a year or so ago, I found it so difficult I ran out of time and orbs to skip the games (I really hate the one where you spin coloured blocks across a board into their little boxes because I'm rubbish at it). Once you've run out of time and orbs you've had it. I've just played it again and really enjoyed it. Some of the games are straightforward and easy, but the ones in rooms you had to think about and I did enjoy that - it's different to the usual hidden objects or ridiculously easy games you have to solve in a lot of games around.
One real frustration is that sometimes you have to be very precise when you tap the screen, and neither my finger or my stylus were precise enough to stop me getting time penalties sometimes, which was annoying.
I did enjoy this and will very likely play it again at some point.

The Very First Damned Thing - A Chronicles of St Mary Short Story
The Very First Damned Thing - A Chronicles of St Mary Short Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, as always., 26 Dec. 2015
Brilliant. I loved it. A prequel about how St Mary's started with, as mentioned in another review, an unexpected cameo. It's a great insight into Dr Barstow, including, as always, interesting snippets about specific events in history which is fascinating, and educational in a practical way involving, in this particular case, milk and honey. I'm a huge fan of St Mary's. Long may they...um...gallop around history and everwhere else, causing chaos....

Little Donkey: - a short story
Little Donkey: - a short story

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriously sweet and too short, 3 Dec. 2015
I should have taken more notice of some of the other reviews - I made the mistake of reading it on the tube and got to the bit about Marilyn and the bath. I was crying with laughter. It was really embarrassing. I read it again anyway, because it was worth it.
It was lovely finding out how Jenny was getting on, after reading The Nothing Girl, and meeting all the characters again. I love looking at the world through Jodi Taylor's eyes. In this case it's sweet, poignant and, as always, very, very funny.

Where There's Smoke (Panopolis Book 1)
Where There's Smoke (Panopolis Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superheroes and Supervillains. Yay!, 29 Oct. 2015
Edward moves to Panopolis, where there are real Superheroes and Supervillains. He doesn't meet one until the bank where he works is robbed, and he accidentally (sort of) helps the Villain escape. Then he can't get away from them.
Good premise - and it is like reading a comic book. I particularly enjoyed the evil antics of the completely insane Pinball, and the Hero's grandstanding was great fun. Then there's the Mad Bombadier - Edward's Villain love interest - who was lovely (despite being a villain), and their relationship was sweet. Not forgetting SuperTruther whose blog entries start each chapter - with comments such as: '...where else in the world do you have insurers who include "acts of domestic terrorism and/or damage incurred by accidental heroics" ' I wonder: is he a SuperHero too? Or just a cynical commentator on life in Panopolis?
I liked it, recommend trying it, and will be buying the next in the series (at least, I hope it's a series...).

Coming Home (The Firsts and Forever Series Book 9)
Coming Home (The Firsts and Forever Series Book 9)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too unrealistic and 'nice', 29 Aug. 2015
This is the first of this series I've read and, although it's pleasant I won't read any more. I'm not a fan of sweet romance, and this is very, very sweet.
Chance is a prostitute (his word), he's been doing it since he was 14 after running away from home. He meets a nice client who seems to like him, but his crippling self doubt makes him wonder who would really like a person like him? After a disastrous road trip to see his mother, then an attempt to meet his biological father, his life changes drastically with some help from his nice client.
Considering his past, and his current profession, he's unbelievably innocent and gentle, which is what I have a problem with. I prefer things to be a bit more realistic, which this isn't.
Then there's the amount of "he/I whispered" and "he/I said softly" to convey emotion. Some variety to make it more believable would have been good. Then whenever a man turned up he was always accompanied by "his husband". It got annoying because there were a lot of them. I realise there are a lot of related stories and it's a big happy family but it just made me squirm. Sorry, just not my thing.
I did like Nana and Jessie, clichés though they were, as they livened things up. Just not enough.

Batteries Not Included
Batteries Not Included

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - more please, 27 July 2015
Sam's fantasy man is Cain Shepney, rock star. When he wakes up to Cain Shepney in his bed, stark naked, he assumes he's still dreaming. Turns out his mother, Lilith, has been meddling. Again. Cue a befuddled Sam trying to help a freaked-out Cain figure out why no-one believes he's actually missing. Or real.

I got the giggles. Sam is very funny, and resigned to his mother stealing all his boyfriends. She's someone you would love to meet, and poor Sam having to put up with her - she's definitely not your normal mother.....some of his birthday presents...! It loses momentum once Sam and Cain eventually confront her, but I didn't mind - it was very funny and a great short read.

I would like more stories about Lilith - I'm sure there's lots more havoc she could create, and preferably narrated by Sam because he has such a great way of describing things. As mentioned by another reviewer: 'Britain's Got The Idol Factor', 'Made in China' and 'Howitzer'. Lovely.

Bad Jack (Ascension Book 1)
Bad Jack (Ascension Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Just bad., 27 July 2015
Jack has a dead end job and no life, when he's suddenly offered a job with a great salary - he doesn't know anything about it, but he takes it, as it has to be better than what he's doing now. At a top secret facility, he's asked to look at some strange objects, photograph them, and describe them. When he finds he can interact with the, sometimes deadly, objects without coming to any harm, suddenly he's hot property.

Sounds like an interesting plot. It's actually written more like a 15 year old boy's adventure story: there's no real plot or development, and he's one of the most juvenile, selfish, self-pitying, nasty bullies I've read about. And he's supposed to be the 'hero' (or anti-hero). He truly believes all his problems are caused by other people, they're never, ever, his fault, and he even hates, really hates, God for not taking a personal interest in his life, solving his problems, and making it as great as he deserves. His boss gives him a hard time because he's a petty little man worried about his job (not because Jack is actually being an arrogant idiot). His previous girlfriend ditched him because she was a horrible person who didn't give him the respect he deserved (his attitude to women made me want to punch him). There are other words I could use to describe his attitude to people, but I'm trying to keep this child-friendly. And it goes on.

I kept hoping this was part of the plot, and something would happen to show there was a real person in there, but no. The ending wasn't really a surprise, and if, as the story suggests, his father is who he is, he wouldn't be proud of Jack, he'd be ashamed to be related to him.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7