Profile for shuckie > Reviews

Content by shuckie

shuckie (Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom)

WD 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive OEM-  Caviar Green
WD 1TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive OEM- Caviar Green
Offered by Xtreme_Drives

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install & set up in a Dell Dimension C521 XP PC, 7 Oct 2011
I bought this to replace the HDD in my PC because the existing drive was nearing capacity, and there is no room to install a second HDD. I also wanted a low power consumption HDD because I understand the power supply in my PC isn't that powerful and I'd already added a graphics card which is probably using some power.

Anyway, there is a sticker on the Western Digital (WD) HDD - plus a warning message on the anti-static packaging - regarding the Advanced Features of the HDD. It talks about either configuring a jumper or downloading WD's software to align the partition(s) of the HDD to ensure optimal storage capacity depending on the operating system and number of partitions you are planning on creating. As it happens I just wanted to create a single partition for my XP installation and the WD website has drop-down menus to ensure you download the correct software for your particular scenario. This is just as well given that the HDD didn't appear to come supplied with a jumper and I don't have one spare!

I installed the WD software on my PC before I removed the old HDD and used it to create a bootable CD. I swapped the HDDs over and tried booting the computer with the CD before installing Windows, assuming that the HDD was already formatted and partitioned. It wasn't. I then installed Windows on a new NTFS partition before booting from the CD again and was then able to use the alignment software. It only took a minute or two and was quite straightforward. I don't know what the impact would be of not bothering to align the partition, but it only needs to be done once.

This 1TB drive is 5400RPM compared with the Seagate Barracude 250GB 7200RPM it replaced and I was concerned that the performance would be inferior, but in all honesty my PC seems to run much faster overall (fingers crossed, touchwood!). The BIOS POST test completes in a second compared with several seconds with the old HDD installed, Windows boots to the logon screen in seconds rather than minutes, and a warm restart of the system seems much quicker than it used to. Some of this may be because this WD HDD has a 64MB cache as opposed to the 16MB cache of the Barracuda but I'm not sure.

The WD HDD seems to be very quiet in operation compared with how often I would hear the Barracuda drive working. Pretty much all I hear now are the CPU and PSU fans and the external USB HDD. I understand that these drives are supposed to be relatively cool in operation. I don't know how warm an average HDD becomes in normal use, but according to the PC Monitor application installed on my Android phone (along with the Windows Service running on the PC), the HDD temperature is 45 degrees Celsius at the time of writing.

Overall I am happy with my purchase at the moment and look forward to long, reliable service from it (fingers crossed, touchwood again).

Trap Door Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [1984]
Trap Door Series 1 & 2 [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ William Rushton

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of nostalgia, pity about the clipped music/sounds, 13 Jan 2009
I bought this after thinking about The Trap Door the other day and I'm so glad I did! Even as an adult who has been spoilt by CGI effects I still enjoy this great example of low-tech 80s entertainment.

Maybe the episodes are only 4-5 mins long because plasticene took so long to animate? When you consider how many things are moving simultaneously is some scenes (e.g. when Berk is preparing food), and how fast some things appear to move (such as when the trap door keeps squashing Drut in one episode), I can only assume it took a while to film those scenes.

As others have pointed out the starting and ending music has been removed from each episode, although the opening credits are available as a separate feature. The sound of the trap door closing has also been clipped at the end of each episode (you hear the squeak but not the slam). On the one hand I suppose it could be annoying to have to listen to the music at the beginning and end of every episode, but at the same time I would have thought that the DVD would have enough storage capacity to store an alternative version of each episode including credits, especially if the disc were double-layered.

Apart from the gripes above I would definitely recommend this DVD to anyone considering buying it.

Heartbeeps [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Heartbeeps [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Andy Kaufman
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars "I function better with maximum input!", 13 Jan 2009
Cheesy & corny but nostalgic fun for me and my other half!

I bought this film as I had fond memories of it from my childhood, not realising that my other half also saw it as a kid and wanted to watch it again. Admittedly the acting is somewhat wooden, perhaps deliberately, and the film may not have the most cerebral plot line in movie history, however it is a great example of family-friendly comedy.

I'll try not to spoil the film for you in case you haven't already seen it, but suffice to say that we were pleasantly surprised to discover the film has a happy ending because we could only remember a sad part near the end of the film. We thought that was when it had ended, but apparently our childhood memories had forgotten what happened next.

* NOTE: You will need a multi-region DVD player to play a Region 1 disc. *

Krakatoa : The Last Days [DVD] [2006] (Tv-Film)
Krakatoa : The Last Days [DVD] [2006] (Tv-Film)
Dvd ~ Rupert Penry-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic docudrama from the BBC, 13 Jan 2009
I bought this having already bought and enjoyed the similar Pompei: The Last Day DVD. I was not disappointed with the Krakatoa DVD! The special effects are great, the acting is superb, and the emotions of the characters can be strongly felt.

This docudrama is closely based on historical fact and appears to accurately reflect the conditions faced by those living near Krakatoa in the days leading up to - and after- the catastrophic eruption.

I heartily recommend this to anyone interested in Krakatoa, BBC docudramas and/or volcanoes in general

Star Trek BORG
Star Trek BORG

1.0 out of 5 stars Will ONLY work under Windows 95, not XP/Vista or even 98!, 13 Jan 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Trek BORG (Video Game)
I haven't been able to play this game as I bought it with the intention of playing it on an old Windows 98 computer, thinking that a Windows 95 game would be compatible with Windows 98. However, the game will ONLY install under Windows 95. I even tried installing it on my XP PC using Windows 95 compatibility mode but the software refused to install.

On the plus side I was able to find clips of the game on a well-known video sharing site. Someone has recorded footage from the game in sections (having taken the correct steps to move from one level of the game to the next), so you effectively get to watch the Borg "movie" from start to finish without having to play the game!

Star Trek: Armada
Star Trek: Armada
Offered by Conure Consoles

4.0 out of 5 stars Apart from a few niggles, I love this game!, 13 Jan 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Trek: Armada (Video Game)
I bought this a while ago having played Klingon Academy to death. I enjoy being able to play any one of the four races to get some variety, as each fleet has it's own strengths and weaknesses, therefore requiring a different strategy to succeed.

Each race has it's own set of missions to form a campaign, and without giving too much away the different missions are interlinked. You don't even have to complete all the missions for one race before playing as a different one!

On the downside some of the missions are quite difficult to complete, even in the Easy difficulty mode. There is a cheat code to bypass difficult missions, but I think it's best to keep trying until you either; a) win or b) give up and use the cheat code!

I got bored of the single player missions after a while and decided to try the multiplayer version instead. Although I was unable to establish a connection to the outside world, probably due to the firewall settings on my router, there IS an "Instant Action" mode available which allows you to play against random or chosen adversaries in a randomly generated environment. I've had great fun experimenting with different combinations of enemies and difficulty levels. A word of warning though - the Hard difficulty level is not an overstatement!

You will receive warning messages when installing and running this game under XP, however it will work provided that you either; a) install and run using an Administrator account or b) use the "Run as Administrator" option when right-clicking on the setup file (to install) and "Play Star Trek Armada" icon (to run the game) if you are sensible enough to use a Limited User account for day-to-day computing.

The game seems to run even better under Windows Vista. Apart from answering a User Account Control (UAC) prompt to install Armada, the software appears to run with no problems on Vista, even with a non-Adminstrator account.

Overall this game has already provided me with hours of entertainment already and I plan on playing it for many more hours to come!

Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan)
Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan)
by Andy Mangels
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing how long it takes until the book is "un-put-downable"!, 13 Jun 2007
I agree that this book spends FAR too long on introducing new, unnecessarily exotic characters and the ship's actual mission. As a long time trekkie I found some of the characters and situations hard to believe, simply because they never appeared in the "real" Star Trek universe!

I have no doubt that the authors love Star Trek as much as the rest of us and enjoyed creating their own story, however I got the distinct impression that they were trying to re-write the ST universe in their own image. I found that I was at least half way into the book before it became truly interesting, and three quarters through it until I reached the point of not wanting to put it down!

Overall, I'm glad I bought a cheap used copy as I would have been even more disappointed had I wasted money on a brand new one.