Profile for Mr. C. A. Smith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ride Out The Dark
Ride Out The Dark
Price: 11.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, lovely warmth, but why not 4 or 5 stars?..., 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
I agree this is a superb album and whilst it's not been produced too cleanly, listening to the mix on headphones, I do find the production a little muddy. Using the Thunder Runner as an example, the lead guitar, bass and vocals have all been placed in the central position with only accompanying instruments taking the far left and far right channels.

This is a shame because it would have sounded better in my view with a bit more of a wider sound scape. It seems they have relied a bit too much on the reverb to create the space in the sound with much of the action happening out in front. Maybe the producer is a bit of a John Leckie fan maybe? (Google the words 'John Leckie' and 'muddy')

It's been mastered a little too hot as well. A bit more dynamic punch and headroom wouldn't have gone amiss too - but hey ho, I suppose this is the 21 Century where engineers just can't help brick wall limiting everything.

Otherwise I can't say any more than what has already been written by others.

Great Band, but they should definitely choose a different producer on the next record!

Psychotropia
Psychotropia
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album but.., 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Psychotropia (MP3 Download)
I agree with all the reviews here but unfortunately for me, the re-mastering has let it down somewhat. Anyone with an understanding of dynamics, compression, brick wall limiting and the loudness war will know what I mean.

Most tracks limit at around -12dB which I would put money on was not the decibel level of the original digital master. Whilst it could be said some early 80s digital transfers were mastered a bit too quiet, Psychotropia has gone far too much the other way. I'm all for the dynamic range available being fully utilised, but not if the transient peaks are pushed beyond the limitation.

What we get is a slightly over-booming and course sounding record due to added compression and clipped peaks put into effect to be able to bring the level up to -12dB. (if played on decent equipment).

I'm not interested with whether this record 'competes' with the rubbish over-loud sounds of today's music or whether it's been designed to be heard over factory machinery, I want the dynamics kept intact.

Great songs though.

Zack 40205 5.0 x 5.0 cm Duplo Self-Adhesive Square Towel Hook
Zack 40205 5.0 x 5.0 cm Duplo Self-Adhesive Square Towel Hook
Price: 7.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 24 May 2013
Bought this nice solid Zak stainless steel hook for our new downstairs wet room. Peeled off the adhesive back of the hook and stuck it to brand new, clean and dry, smooth wall tiles. Making sure the hook was stuck securely, I then hung my bathrobe on it. Within days, the hook had fallen off the tile. This happened a few more times in the course of a month to the point it has now no more stickiness than a post-it note!

The product is solid and looks nice, but with regards to full filling its purpose, practically useless and a waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars B&Q?, 10 April 2013
We've just had new bathrooms fitted and I was looking for a couple of good quality ''designer' door stops in chrome to match the other fixtures and fittings.

I found this item after searching Amazon and saw that it was made by a designer called 'Siro'. Now this may well be the case, but what I didn't know and wasn't told on the sales description was this product sold by JIVARO is also sold by B&Q as an own branded item. I now know this because the items arrived this morning sealed in little branded orange B&Q bags! I may well have just driven down to my local store and picked them up.

This is why I am only giving this item 3 stars. They feel good quality, they look good and do the job, but if I'd wanted something from B&Q I'd have gone there myself!

Question is, would I find my local B&Q store selling these for less than 4.99 each? 1 x Designer conical 40mm door stop a polished chrome floor mounted buffer by Siro.

Scarlet And Other Stories
Scarlet And Other Stories
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Something else to know..., 11 Feb 2013
This is a brilliant album but there is something else to know and to consider 'why' this music sounds like it does. And the answer is this....

The late 80s were probably the last time in mass recording that bands used analogue master tapes before their music was mixed and mastered digitally (known in the trade as ADD). If you compare the 'sound' of this album compared to say, Panic Room's 2012 album Skin (a comparable female fronted rock band), through a decent hifi setup, the difference in 'warmth' is quite apparent.

I feel this is something very much lost with modern music. It's not necessarily that they can't write 'em like they used to, but full-on digital recording is just too clinical.

This is a timeless beautiful album and thank God it was recorded at the time it was. If it'd been done today, you wouldn't get the grain, the warmth, the hard-crafted feel. And it would probably have been brick wall limited as well!

Pop Dancing
Pop Dancing
Price: 6.49

1.0 out of 5 stars one star, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pop Dancing (MP3 Download)
...one star only for appalling re-mixing of Julianne's Miss World and without her consent! What was wrong with the original mix anyway?

...And it's not by All About Eve, it's by Mice.

tut tut.

I Choose Love
I Choose Love
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 14.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Music for the Truth Movement, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: I Choose Love (Audio CD)
I've lost count to how many times David Icke has posted a link to the track I Choose Love off Shawn's 2003 album. Icke even chose to play it at his Wembley gig to a packed out audience which was very moving and totally apt.

Not normally my cup of tea as the music is a little earnest and not really very 'cool' in a rock kinda sense. But it does pull at the heart strings (or should I say heart chakra).

Anyone interested in music which has spiritual connotations without having to buy Whale music, Native American Indian Chanting or 'Celtic Moods' from their local crystal shop, should be well advised to look up these lovely music deities also:

Glass Top Coffin by Ramases (2010)
Magic Carpet by Magic Carpet (2005)
Wee Tam & the Big Huge by Incredible String Band (2010)
Ian Neal - All In The Golden Afternoon...(2005)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Volumes 1,2 or 3 by The Amorphous Androgynous (2010)

Music for the 'New' New Age, not the Old New Age. If you know what I mean?

Letters Home
Letters Home
Price: 15.54

1.0 out of 5 stars The pioneers of a warless world, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Letters Home (Audio CD)
"The pioneers of a warless world are the [youth] who refuse military service." Albert Einstein.

It's time to stop worshiping these murders of innocent civilians and children. That includes these 'soldiers' who sing about the 'glory' or war.

Our heroes? Really?

Touched By Jesus
Touched By Jesus
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Touched By Jesus (Audio CD)
This version says it's been remastered. Is this correct? To my knowledge none of the AAE albums have received the remastered treatment yet. I think it's a typo and should say Original Recording Re-Issued. However, if it has been remastered, has anyone heard how it sounds compared to the original 1991 master?

Julianne - do you know?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2013 7:04 PM BST

Different Colours
Different Colours
Price: 11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Cast you net to the right, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Different Colours (Audio CD)
Even better than 2011's Beautifully Falling Apart, this album takes Marconi Union into a deeper and more interesting direction. I'm sitting here in a darkened room with just the dull glow of an orange lamp and the sound of a decent hi-fi system. You don't have to listen to Marconi Union loud because the mix has been impeccably put together.

Buy this album, put it on, sit back, let your eye be single, and cast your net to the right.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3