Profile for vikki650 > Reviews

Content by vikki650

vikki650 "vikki650" (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Cambridge Latin Course Book I Worksheet Masters
Cambridge Latin Course Book I Worksheet Masters
by Cambridge School Classics Project

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teacher resource, 19 May 2014
The loose leaf pages which comprise this product are a very useful classroom resource for a bit more Latin comprehension practice. The complaint about cost and structure by another user is not actually a real issue for anyone who knows and understands that the material is legally photocopiable for redistribution among students. The paper is of excellent quality, will last for years, and with the loose leaf pages, very easy to copy as needed unlike a book which is more difficult to handle. Good long term investment overall.

Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 S7272 /S7575 /S7270- Premium Leather Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch + Long Touch Stylus Pen + Mini Touch Stylus Pen + Screen Protector & Polishing Cloth (AA Wallet Black)
Offered by GB Online Sales
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to handle, but very smelly, 3 May 2014
The phone holder is handy and easy to grasp. However, though it's leather, the smell is much more like really strong glue or solvent than the leather smell most of us are accustomed to. It's very strong, so I'm hoping it dissipates soon.

In a Free State: The Novel
In a Free State: The Novel
Price: 4.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Rating for missing material, 14 Mar 2014
The book itself is a masterpiece, but in downloading the Kindle version, I found it was missing seminal pieces such as 'One out of Many' for which I had purchased the kindle version. I needed to be able to adjust the font size and since this important content was missing, I had to revert back to a paper copy which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't dyslexic and looking for easier access as I approach a paper I am writing. Amazon doesn't want to know that material isn't included as described in the description for this download, so be careful if you are actually searching for the full version. It's not all there.

Belkin FormFit Cover Case with Stand for 10.1 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - Black
Belkin FormFit Cover Case with Stand for 10.1 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - Black
Price: 26.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Outer surface too slippery and doesn't maintain structure, 10 Mar 2014
I have just bought my new Galaxy 3 and based on the leather Belkin cover my husband had, I chose this one from the online collection even though it wasn't leather. Unfortunately, it works fine as a 'stand', but not for my purposes which are to have the tablet safely on my lap for surfing, communicating, and for reading while in a comfy chair or on planes or trains. In an open position, the back to front sides slide everywhere, especially against each other if folded back, since the surface has no friction. I've been using it for three hours and already have my feelers out for something to replace it very quickly. I want to use this in the sitting room and not on a table, so it really doesn't work well. This was a huge waste of money and not fit for purpose.

The Lost Years
The Lost Years
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much have her plots figured out now, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Lost Years (Kindle Edition)
I have now read three of Mary Higgins Clarks' books, trying to give her a fair evaluation. This was my third selection from the mix and I must admit that not only are the characters 2-dimensional, but based on her formula, I'd figured out who the murderer was as soon as the character made his/her entrance. I would much prefer some depth to the characters and a great, surprising twist at the end of the book or a more solid story development rather than her use of what seems to be a very established template for writing her books. Sorry, Mary, but you won't be getting any more royalties from me.

The Stories of English
The Stories of English
by David Crystal
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Print is so small, I had to by the Kindle version too!, 15 July 2012
This review is from: The Stories of English (Paperback)
My review is not of the content of the book, to which I would issue five stars for the same reasons as my predecessors leaving feedback, but is for the physical readability of the text (and I wear glasses, but am not blind!). The content of the book is highly accessible for the novice interested in learning more about the origins and development of world Englishes, but my eyes are so fatigued after just three pages, that I need to put it down even though the content is quite understandable. After making it halfway through the second introduction, I knew there was no way I would finish the book, even though my Open University students have it on their recommended reading list for my sociolinguistics module. What I recommend is keeping a hard copy for those moments when you might use Crystal as a source, but if you want to actually read it like a book, from cover to cover, buy the kindle version and it will be much easier on the eyes. For future editions, I hope the publishers might find it in their hearts to be a little more generous with the font size even though it will take up more paper. It would be well worth it.

The Girl Who Came Home - A Titanic Novel
The Girl Who Came Home - A Titanic Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Have a box of tissues at the ready, 4 Jun 2012
I must admit that I actually loved this book. I was thoroughly engrossed and enjoyed the style of flashing back and forth between generations. Some people might enjoy a more straightforward and easy read, but I felt I got to know characters very well. In addition, there were a couple of nice surprises which made me cry in a good way. The descriptions are wonderful and it was easy to be sympathetic towards characters. I am looking forward to reading more from this author and am glad she doesn't appear to be obsessed with the Titanic across her repertoire.

Women and Children First
Women and Children First
Price: 1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Author tried too hard, 4 Jun 2012
This first novel is a good first attempt for perhaps an undergraduate at university, but I doubt it's destined for any real prestige and the author seems destined for a career in another field or in trash novels (something I enjoy much of the time if it's gripping) rather than anything truly powerful. If she continues with her writing, I hope she can get a better editor to help push her to greater skill levels.

One area which needs much more development is in descriptions and texture of the text. It is as if the author has placed some descriptions in as an afterthought, but in reality, this was not at the forefront of her mind. I never felt like I was immersed in the story, but just needed to get through it instead. Character development was quite shallow, with a lot of telling rather than showing where the author missed a valuable opportunity to bring the characters to life. Readers get a brief skim of descriptions like a boy with a cheeky smile or a Annie's knees hurting from climbing stairs, but this could have been developed further to make the readers feel the pain and to symbolize the lives of the characters. Describe the stairs, for example, and the impact that each step has on her body. What would place that cheeky smile on the Finnbar's face and what did it really look like? Was it slightly crooked with his eyes looking a bit sly?

On another note, much is written in third person impersonal which is highly appropriate, but then suddenly, out of nowhere, the reader is told what they are feeling rather than what the characters are feeling. In writing this novel, the author's story would have been more effective if it did not address the audience directly, especially since these actually come off as errors rather than an intentional switch to audience recognition.

Much of her description of the ship was quite limited and she seemed to make assumptions about the previous knowledge held by readers rather than reintroducing descriptions of the ship in her own words and through her own imagination and research combined. For example, she glances over the ceiling of the first class space, but doesn't actually describe the moldings in a way which readers could imagine what they actually looked like. The grand staircase was only ever mentioned, but never truly described. Carpeting was sometimes described as plush and something that characters unfamiliar with the quality would sink into, but it lacked colour and texture. The author could have come up with a description about how Annie's pained feet (just a quick idea to give the character more description!) were comforted by the soft carpets, just to give a deeper impression of of the opulence and how it was different from third class.

In Juliette's character, she accepts the proposal of a man while pregnant and she swears to herself that if he proposes, she will tell him of her pregnancy immediately, but then, she not only doesn't tell him, but there is no internal battle dealing with this problem. She obviously opts to try to hide the pregnancy, as previously planned, but there is no explanation for her accepting his proposal and marrying him without her following through and telling him first.

The author seems to have set out to write some type of 'short' epic novel in the popular styles of John Jakes or Herman Wouk, but she needs to learn to simplify the story line and develop one or two more characters much more completely before coming up with interlaced character lines which end up just too thin to enable the reader to fully understand them. I could be wrong about her intentions, but this is actually indicative of a bigger problem where it isn't clear what the author has set out to do for sure. A better book would show this more clearly.

I don't actually recommend this book to anyone as reading it felt like a real chore and, though I could see the author was trying to pull at heartstrings in places, it just didn't seem to push me to that emotional point of sympathy or empathy with characters. This is only noteworthy given that I have no difficulty shedding the tears when I have really become connected with the characters. I welcome a box of tissues for an emotional tale, but this one just didn't do it for me.

To Pleasure a Prince (The Royal Brotherhood)
To Pleasure a Prince (The Royal Brotherhood)
Price: 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 12 April 2012
This has to be one of the worst books Sabrina Jeffries has ever written. The plot is very thin, going from one 'ton' event to another with no real mystery to it. There isn't a true antagonist in the story, making it a little less than exciting when the 'dark secret' is revealed to readers very early, her husband midway and the protagonist is 'suddenly cured' at the end. I only read the entire book because Jeffries' trilogies tend to require knowledge of the previous book and I feared I would miss something in case the others were worth reading. However, I felt it difficult to follow, mainly because it was just so boring, and at the end, I felt I wanted that time and money back. Oh well. On the other hand, I have fallen asleep much sooner each night due to this choice of reading, so not a total loss.

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (Picture Puffin)
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (Picture Puffin)
by Jon Scieszka
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for teaching!, 27 July 2010
I have been able to do so much with this book in the classroom. First, the kids love the twist on the original tale of "The Three Little Pigs." I am able to use it for reading, listening, and most fun of all, for writing. I have had second graders in the US rewrite other tales after learning this story and they have a great time doing it. It gets them thinking and putting their words on paper without making them feel like it is work. Enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2