Profile for Bill23 > Reviews

Content by Bill23

Bill23 (Manchester United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Rexel Jiffex Bright Foolscap Transfer Files Assorted (Pack of 12)
Rexel Jiffex Bright Foolscap Transfer Files Assorted (Pack of 12)

4.0 out of 5 stars An old favourite updated, 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you need folders to hold bundles of bills or correspondence together long-term, these do the job. Hardly radical - the basic design must be half a century old - but the bright colours make them look up to date. I like the fact that the covers are high-quality manila card rather than plastic as it makes them easy to write on with anything. Cheaper versions are available, but you will find that they are made from thinner card, which is easily torn, and have much less robust mechanisms (of thin, sharp metal). Maybe a pit pricey at over two quid each, but if you need long-term storage for legal or tax reasons, probably worth paying the extra.

Rexel A4 Mesh Bags with Zip (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Mesh Bags with Zip (Pack of 10)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little items...., 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, these are definitely NOT A4 size bags as it says on the heading. They are in fact (just about) A6 size, as it says in the text. Amazon need to get this sorted out or they will be dealing with a lot of returns.
Having said that, these are useful little items to have around for holding things like passports, tickets, bank books and the like. I use one to store all my 'vaping' bits when travelling around. Size is not generous, though, as the zip stops you inserting A6 items without bending them, and it would have been handier, I think, to make them a little longer to hold pens & pencils. They are robust enough, and the closures are firm. Not a product to revolutionise anything, but handy to have around.

Lexar Professional JumpDrive S75 16GB USB 3.0 (150MB/s) Retractable Design Flash Drive Memory Stick - Purple
Offered by The Tech Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and reliable USB stick., 7 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Solid and reliable USB stick. Probably larger than it needs to be - but I think that's a good thing. Some sticks now are so small it's hard to keep track of them. transfer speeds on 3.0 seem fast enough to me. retract mechanism is a solid and satisfying 'click'. Doesn't feel particularly flimsy to me, compared with others I've used. Good value at the price.

Turbulent and Mighty Continent: What Future for Europe
Turbulent and Mighty Continent: What Future for Europe
by Anthony Giddens

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read, short on solutions, 7 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Probably not aimed at the general reader, but rather a manifesto for the rulers, academics, economists and bureaucrats to debate. With a general election looming, and the future of the EU, the Euro and immigration hot topics, I thought I'd take a look, but it's hard going, to be honest. Giddens is 100% pro - EU, but he does realise the weaknesses in the current setup. Ideas for change and improvement seem a bit vague to me - lots of issues which Europe 'must' do something about, but thin on concrete proposals. UKIP types will find no comfort here - immigration is necessary and desirable, both internally and from outside, and resistance is futile. Any problems are due to hostility of the host people. Turkey should be admitted as soon as possible.
There is very little on a human level here, not much understanding of the effect of EU decisions and directions at individual citizen level.Perhaps the fault is mine for expecting a book for the general reader / citizen - I wouldn't recommend it on that basis.

Breville Colour Notes 1.7 Litre Kettle - Red
Breville Colour Notes 1.7 Litre Kettle - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough kettle., 9 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a bit difficult to review a kettle when you've only had it a few weeks - the main issue with kettles is how long they last before springing a leak, so I can't tell yet. But anyway, it seems solid so far. It's well-designed, boils quickly, the handle is a comfy grip and the spout pours straight. I like the little red light that illuminates the water gauge when it's switched on. Only thing I don't like is that the water gauge is calibrated in 'cups' - should be litres, how big is a 'cup'? Seems a bit patronising, as though we can't deal with litres! But generally it's a perfectly serviceable, well-designed and well-manufactured kettle, and does the job.

Igenix IG9516 4 Bar Quartz Halogen Heater 1,600 W - Dark Grey
Igenix IG9516 4 Bar Quartz Halogen Heater 1,600 W - Dark Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars IGENIX - if you want to sell these, get the base sorted out!, 26 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a heater, this seems to work ok - throws out a decent heat with a nice warm glow. It's definitely an improvement on the old 2-bar electric fires, which I presume these are meant to replace. Also better than a draughty, noisy fan heater.
However, like other reviewers, I'm a bit concerned about the build quality - specifically the attachment of the base. The base itself is rather thin plastic and is attached to the min unit with 2 long thin metal screws with small plastic knobs. These have screwdriver slots in them, but any attempt to use a metal screwdriver just wrecks the soft plastic, and it's not easy to tighten them manually - I had to wrap a cloth round them to get a grip. Once assembled with the screws fully tightened, it feels top heavy and rocks about worryingly. I'm sure it actually IS secure and stable, but it doesn't FEEL like it is - it just doesn't feel solid or balanced. For this reason, I'm not too happy with it. The lead is far too short, too - if you have modern sockets set high up the wall, the cord barely reaches the floor.
Looking at similar products on Amazon, this seems quite expensive by comparison, especially given the drawbacks mentioned above.
The designers really need to go back to the drawing board on the base attachments, as it seems most reviewers are finding the same issues

Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml
Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer - 27 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but do you need another layer of makeup?, 17 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mrs. 23 said she'd like to try this, so I ordered one for her.
Her opinion was:
"Its nice to use, with a pleasant smell and a creamy-pink colour. It lightly evens out skin tone without adding colour, It says it can be used as a base coat or on its own. I used it a few times when wanting to use minimal make-up and was pleased with the result, but as a base coat - it depends how many layers of make-up you want to put on!."

BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Powerline Multi-Adapter Kit - ( Pack of 3)
BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Powerline Multi-Adapter Kit - ( Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple to set up and use straight from the box., 2 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Broadband provider has sent me a free Youview box as part of their service, but as my TV is in a different room to my router, they told me I needed a pair of 'powerline adaptors' to get it on line. As I am a bit of a novice with this, when I was offered these through the Vine program, I asked the Amazon 'community' whether these would be suitable - thanks for the answers, guys - very helpful (you can see my question on the product page).
I was fearing some kind of tech nightmare to set them up - but they were very easy to connect, straight from the box. The instructions were clear and really, all you need to do is plug in and switch on. My Youview box worked at the first time of asking. Very, very simple to get up and running. Can't comment on whether the wifi signal has improved as it was ok before - so probably this product is over-specced for my needs. I imagine it would work fine for that, too. Each of the 2 output devices has two ethernet ports as well as the wifi, so i would think this would be more than adequate for most households.
You do lose a plug socket for each one as they can't be put on a doubler or extension lead, so if you're short of sockets you may prefer the 'plug-thru' type - but apart from that, no problems at all.
Very easy to set up, understand and use - recommended, but if you just want to bring your router to your TV box like me, there are probably cheaper solutions.

Nescafe Dolce Gusto Oblo Coffee Capsule Machine by Krups - Black
Nescafe Dolce Gusto Oblo Coffee Capsule Machine by Krups - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Coffee-shop quality'? Not exactly...., 10 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK,I like coffee, but I've never tried one of these machines before. This promises 'coffee-shop quality', so thought i'd
give it a go.
First impressions - good design, feels solid and engineered from good quality, high spec plastic. It lifts straight out of
the box ready to use. Instructions are totally in pictures which make it seem more complicated than it actually is. Some of
the instructions also appear to refer to an earlier model, which is slightly confusing.
All the same, it's not hard. Fill the water tank and flush through without a coffee cap to clean the system, no problem.
So lets try a cup-
Fill tank, switch on, red light goes green in 15 seconds. Pop in an 'Americano' cap, close the lid, move lever to 'hot' and
out comes a stream of rich-aroma black coffee. And here's the first problem. The instructions say to dispense 'the
indicated amount', then stop. These amounts vary between 35ml and 240ml, depending on the type of coffee capsule, but short
of dispensing into a measuring jug, this is pure guesswork. I guess at 3/4 of a mug and it's fine. Add a little milk from
the fridge to my taste, and enjoy. So very easy to use, and does what it says on the tin. Well, not exactly.....
Next i try one of the 'milky' ones, a cappuccino, and it's a different story. First of all, I discover that drinks
including milk take 2 capsules (1 milk, then 1 coffee) - so there are only 4 free drinks included in the starter pack, not
6. OK, I'll try one. Milk capsule in, fill 75% of a mug, then remove the milk capsule, throw away, insert coffee capsule
and fill the rest with coffee. A bit more fiddly, then, but it tastes - horrible! Tasting like a 'cappuccino' from a cheap
vending machine, not remotely 'coffee-shop quality' (It surely never will be, using powdered milk rather than fresh). It's
much too sweet for my taste. I check the ingredients and find the 'milk' capsule contains 17% sugar. I hate sugar in
coffee. Checking the ingredients for the other drinks, I find that ALL those that are made with a milk capsule contain
sugar. So half the range is unavailable to me. Very disappointing. This seems crazy - surely those who like it sweet can
add their own sugar, rather than impose it on everyone?
I try the other supplied 'black' coffee, the Lungo. This is excellent. Quite happy with this. I buy another box of 'lungo'
caps from the supermarket, and enjoy them.
The range apparently consists of 19 (?) different drinks. My local (large) Tescos and Morrisons carry 6 or 7 of them, in boxes
of 16 at £3.77. Presumably the full range can be ordered online, but I am not inclined to spend £3.77 to try one and find I
don't like it. Surely it would have been good business to include one of each with the machine? Or at least sell a trial
variety pack? I may in future try a box of one of the other black coffees, but for the moment I'm happy with the Lungo. If
you like your coffee sweet, you might not react to the sugary milk like me - but remember that the milky ones will cost you £3.77 for 8 drinks, not 16. So quite expensive to run. And a final thought - isn't using a disposable plastic capsule (or two) for every cup of coffee rather wasteful environmentally?

PS: Been using this for a few weeks now and have upped my star-rating from 3 to 4, as I've found the coffee I like and am enjoying it, so 3 stars was a bit harsh - but I still think you should stay away from the 'milk' drinks, personally

Nico Less E-Cigarette E-Shisha Starter Kit
Nico Less E-Cigarette E-Shisha Starter Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value basic E-cig kit., 16 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is just fine - not sure why there are so many negative reviews. If you're thinking of switching to E-cigs you could do worse than start here.
The 'kit' contains:
1. A good quality 1000mz battery. Most will contain a 650 or 750 model, this will last longer between charges. These batteries cost £11-£12 in my local High St shops, so at the current price of £10.39, this kit looks like a good deal for starters.
2. One Clearomiser. This is the type that you need to replace the whole thing when it burns out or starts to leak (usually 4-6 weeks). When you replace it, get the type that you can keep the plastic tank and just replace the wick/coil (about £2) instead of the whole tank (about £5) - but this will do to get you started.
3. One USB charger. You will probably want to add a 3-pin mains adaptor for convenience, as this can only charge from a USB socket with this.

OK so no liquid is included but as there's over 100 flavours available now on the high street, thats probably better than supplying one which you might not like. You do need to experiment a bit with flavours and strengths to see what suits you. (Most people seem to start with a 'tobacco' flavour to more closely replicate cigarettes, but you'll most likely quickly switch to a fruit or other flavour.)
You'll probably want to order 2 so you can vape while the other is charging (about 90 - 120 min).
This is excellent value, as the 3 individual components would cost £16 - £18 if bought separately on the High St.
(Oh, and ignore the 'E-Shisha' name - its just an ordinary refillable e-cig)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5