Profile for Mrs. S. Doyle > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. Doyle

Mrs. S. Doyle "Susiegirl" (Manchester)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dashing Through the Snow
Dashing Through the Snow

5.0 out of 5 stars easy read cosy mystery, 17 Feb. 2015
Winning the lottery should have been the start of a wonderful time, instead the four workmates who were to share the windfall found themselves involved in kidnapping, missing persons and solving a murder.
I really enjoyed this easy to read cosy mystery.

SAMSUNG AA59-00581A Original Remote Control
SAMSUNG AA59-00581A Original Remote Control
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 10 Jan. 2015
Exactly what I wanted. Prompt delivery.

Murder, Mr Mosley (Inspector Mosley Book 1)
Murder, Mr Mosley (Inspector Mosley Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars good cosy murder, 16 Nov. 2014
A cosy murder mystery, with a quirky detective. I enjoyed the story and will be reading more Mr Mosley mysteries.

Virginia's Ghost
Virginia's Ghost

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Virginia's Ghost (Kindle Edition)
I was immediately drawn into this book, I could "see" the auction house, and felt nervous as Virginia went down to the spooky basement to make her coffee. I liked both of the main characters, Virginia and Constance whose story is told through her diary. This is a story within a story, for as Virginia reads the diary and unravels Constance's story her own life becomes more complicated. Her job and then her very life is threatened. Until at the end she realises what Constance's ghost is trying to warn her about.
As a first novel I think this is a great success both the story and editing are first rate. I received this book free through Story Cartel, but will be glad to pay for future books by Caroline Kaiser.

The Lion and Unicorn Quest (Adventurous Quests Book 1)
The Lion and Unicorn Quest (Adventurous Quests Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars slow start, 23 Oct. 2014
I didn't enjoy this story as much as the Pitkirtly series. It was a bit slow to start and I didn't like the change of narrator with each chapter. I didn't find the two main characters sympathetic. I will try the next in the series and see if I can get into it, but I will be going back to the Pitkirtly books if not.

Underwood, Scotch, and Wry
Underwood, Scotch, and Wry

5.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable story, 28 Sept. 2014
I was drawn into this book immediately. The characters are likeable, even the irascible Professor Arthur Byrne, who enjoys his reputation as a miserable old git. Unfortunately the Dean of his college wants him out, and to that end gives him an assignment teaching students about online social media. One problem, he is a total technophobe who doesn't even own a mobile phone - and doesn't want to. How with the help of his loyal TAs, he makes a success of the course, and becomes the most popular lecturer on Campus - only to be tricked into a much worse situation by the Dean - makes a very enjoyable book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 7:55 AM BST

Mr. Darcy's Noble Connections: A Pride & Prejudice Variations
Mr. Darcy's Noble Connections: A Pride & Prejudice Variations

4.0 out of 5 stars better than I expected, 14 Sept. 2014
Having been disappointed in other stories based on the characters from Pride and Prejudice, I didn't expect this to be any better but decided to give it a try. The characters were true to the original and the story was good. The only thing that bothered me was trying to figure out where these events could fit between the events in the original story.

Murder deLight (Gershwin & Penrose mystery Book 1)
Murder deLight (Gershwin & Penrose mystery Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars good story, 4 Sept. 2014
I enjoyed this book, the characters are likeable (even the baddies) the mystery is almost solvable, but one thing grated on me, the way the two 'Sirs' were referred to by their surname and not their first name. Sir Bellini instead of Sir Marco Bellini. Apart from that I really enjoyed it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 5:14 PM BST

Ding Dong Bell, The Kitten in the Well (Gershwin & Penrose mystery)
Ding Dong Bell, The Kitten in the Well (Gershwin & Penrose mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable short story, 29 Aug. 2014
Likeable characters, straight into the story, with not too much explanation. Finished a bit suddenly, just as I was getting to know the characters, I will definitely be ordering more of this author's cosies.

Ajax Penumbra: 1969
Ajax Penumbra: 1969

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent prequel, 3 April 2014
I have been meaning to read Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, but was a bit wary of buying it. When I saw this quite cheap I decided to try it. I will be buying the sequel as soon as I finish this review. This book tells how a young Ajax Penumbra, employed as a Junior Aquisitions Assistant at his college library is sent to find a book that has not been seen for over a hundred years. He traces its history to San Francisco. How he comes to the 24 hour bookshop and discovers the possible (or impossible) whereabouts of the book, makes an interesting story.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4