Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Bookworm

Bookworm "Gus" (United Kingdom)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat dull and... dare I say it: insincere, 10 May 2009
I had high hopes for this book and I really did WANT to like it but I read this just after Looking For Alaska which was a masterpiece. In comparison (and the two are somewhat similar- if you read Looking for Alaska you will know what I mean) this was... drab and patronizing... and clearly written by somebody who wasn't a wallflower.

I can't put my finger on it but something about this book was off. And the pace was too slow. There were places of great insight and where I really felt the irony of viewing awful events in the eyes of timid Charlie. However it never completely rose to a climax and the book ended with closure but I felt like I watched a documentary of 'the day in the life of' a boy who really is not that interesting. Also I hated how the teachers and friends kept proclaiming and gawking at Charlie's niceness and genius when there was no evidence of it from his letters to his 'friend'.

Also hated how he refused to use long words to begin with and whenever he did he would do it in inverted comments and slip in the definition. Ugh. Dissappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2009 7:19 PM GMT

Looking For Alaska
Looking For Alaska
by John Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Looking For Alaska (Paperback)
Finally! A young adult book that ISN'T patronizing as hell with interesting, semi-developed characters (I didn't mind that you didn't get to know some of the characters too well because it gave htem some mystery)

I liked all the characters and the mischief they got to and I liked how this wasn't set in a stereotypical high school with stereotypical characters. Overall, quite unputdownable (I read it in one sitting) and I'm glad I bought this rather than borrowed it because I will definitely read it again

Fight Club
Fight Club
by Chuck Palahniuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to absorb, 14 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Fight Club (Paperback)
I watched the film first and I have to admit this was only half of what I was expecting. I managed to finish the whole thing. It was disturbing only if you got into it but try as I might, I found it difficult. Maybe some other time when I'm more determined to 'dwelve' into a book I might try again.

Bridget Jones's Guide to Life (Comic Relief)
Bridget Jones's Guide to Life (Comic Relief)
by Helen Fielding

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 14 Mar. 2008
Better than I expected, actually. Read this after watching the film and I like to think of them separately because quite a lot was different. Some parts had amazing imagery that made me cackle, and I love Bridget's tone. An added plus was the vocab I managed to pick up and now weave into my daily life (e.g. ****wittage)

Junk (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
Junk (Puffin Teenage Fiction)
by Melvin Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but completely overrated, 20 Feb. 2008
When I first read this I thought it was wonderful. I marvelled at the character relationship development and it completely sucked me into the world of drugs and prostitution. The characters have clear voices. However the book does ramble a little and the plot move quite slowly.

I Can Make You Thin
I Can Make You Thin
by Paul McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't try hard enough, 6 Feb. 2008
This review is from: I Can Make You Thin (Paperback)
But this book really changed my attitude towards eating. I am a size 12 which is chunkier than I was a year ago, so I thoght I might give it a shot. It worked, and every time I am full I can repress the urge to keep eating. The techniques (tapping techniques) i am not too sure about but overall this changed my attitude to my body. Now I feel happy with myself and my self-esteem has soared!

The CD is so relaxing. Does nothing for my weight loss but defintely gets me to sleep.
Thanks Paul McKenna

Thinking Of You
Thinking Of You
by Jill Mansell

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 6 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Thinking Of You (Paperback)
This book and I started off to a rocky start. I had just put down my twilight when I picked this up and I had extremely high expectations of the publication industry.

I was not dissapointed. This book was everything I wanted it to be (although it wasn't exactly a vampire love story) it was a funny, breezy chick lit with a twist here and there to keep me interested.
Groaned in frustration and some characters, laughed in hysterics at others.
Overall, I just thought iw as lovely. I got another Jill Mansell, Miranda's Big Mistake with this and I look forward to reading it!

Nintendo DS Lite Handheld Console (Pink)
Nintendo DS Lite Handheld Console (Pink)

5.0 out of 5 stars My new best friend, 30 Jan. 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, not exactly 'new'. I've had my DS for almost a year now.
I've loved it for almost a year, too.
I chose pink because it was quite girly and I just liked the color of it. I use an R4 Card and let me just tell you it is the bomb. I can carry almost 30 games around with me all the time.
The battery lasts for ages and I this is just wonderful to play and to own. The games are so much more fun than the dreaded PSP

Jemima J
Jemima J
by Jane Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic but I am up for a fairytale any day of the week, 18 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Jemima J (Paperback)
Brilliant- my absolute favorite Jane Green book of all time.
It is, let me just tell you, incredibly unrealistic. I don't want to spoil it but some of the things that happen- could that really happen in real life?
Regardless, when I stick my head into a novel I block out reality. This book was immensely enjoyable and I loved every (well almost every) moment of it.