Profile for MadMatandMe > Reviews

Content by MadMatandMe

MadMatandMe

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
50W Super Bright LED Floodlight, Outdoor Garden Waterproof Light, 3800lm,Cold White 6000k flood light, Security Light, light-weight Lamp
Offered by GLW LED Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product / Good Price, 9 Jan. 2016
Product appears to be a good buy. Only very slight question mark on first review is the quality of the fixing bracket which is a little 'flexible' but this is perhaps just being a little over critical! Fitted and the light is actually a very pleasant 'colour'; a sort of warm blue (if that is not a contradiction!)
Obviously can not comment on long term integrity of the product but so far so good.

War Letters 1914-1918, Vol. 1: From a Young British Officer at the Western Front during the First World War

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant, 16 Dec. 2015
It is somehow hard to read the words of a seventeen year old, from 100 years ago, and assimilate them to today's world.
There comes through a level of maturity and incredible bravery and doggedness that I find hard to know if I could have equaled.
As we all recognise, it is because of the actions and sacrifices of these young chaps that Europe and England is what it is today and yet the price these mere 'children' paid for this freedom is so difficult to truly contextualise.
This is a short, simple yet highly poignant book to read.
I would recommend it.

A Measure of Danger: The Memoirs of Legendary War Correspondent Michael Nicholson: Memoirs of a British War Correspondent

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read. Tight and compelling., 13 Sept. 2015
As one would expect from an accomplished and experienced war correspondent, a book well written, interesting and polished.
I found myself questioning some detail at times but this is not meant as a questioning of the author, more a questioning of humans as a race. Could it really be possible that one human could treat another - worse, another with whom they had previously had no axe to grind - in such an appallingly sadistic and wanton manner?
That aside, books of this nature do make me question the lack of life I appear to have experienced. How fantastic to be able to sit back in your latter years with so much adventure and life stories to reminisce upon and re-tell to the grand children!
Definitely recommended, as long as you are prepared for the increase in your despair of the total lack of humanity of such a large swath of this worlds population with whom we share oxygen...

War Beneath The Sea
War Beneath The Sea

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like submarines - and very specific detail - give this a read!, 4 Aug. 2015
This is a good book. Good, but not great, only in the context that it is as much a technical/almost academic thesis rather than a riveting yarn to sit back and enjoy.
The technical detail is high and the subject detail regarding the missions of the individual boats and crew is probably higher still!
I did enjoy the book but think I would probably have enjoyed it more with 25% less 'fine' detail...
Not a criticism, just an observation.
But definitely worth a read if you are into your submarine warfare.

Korbond Iron On 5m Hemming Web For Curtains Garments Trouser Badges Patches Etc
Korbond Iron On 5m Hemming Web For Curtains Garments Trouser Badges Patches Etc
Offered by My Swift

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is suppossed to do!, 4 Aug. 2015
Seems fine. Does what it is supposed to do so can't ask for any more! Thank you.

SAS Black Ops - Shadowman: Action & Adventure Thriller - The B.O.S.S. Years.
SAS Black Ops - Shadowman: Action & Adventure Thriller - The B.O.S.S. Years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, just how poor can a book be?!, 4 Aug. 2015
I bought this on impulse as I had run out of reading material...that will teach me :-(
After reading the first 20 pages or so I had to check that this was not a war story for teenagers!
I'm afraid to say that the best praise I can give this is that if I were a fifteen year old reading this I may be 'satisfied' - in fact, on those lines, perhaps this IS a fifteen year old boy who has written this!?!?
This is one of the most appallingly bad books I have read...probably ever!
It is just bad on so many levels I am not going to bother passing on any specific detail of where and why; it is just bunkum.

The Last British Dambuster: One man's extraordinary life and the raid that changed history
by George Johnny Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Read It. I am almost positive you will not regret it!, 29 Jun. 2015
This is a really 'nice' book by, what appears to be, a very honest, decent chap from a - sadly - bygone era.
There are no frills to the story, just an honest, objective and forthright view of the facts from an extremely amazing life.
Without wishing to provide any 'spoilers' Johnson's life story is nothing short of amazing; rising from a terribly sad childhood to becoming a part of the RAF Dambuster mission and then still so much more. Plus the almost unbelievable strokes of luck which found him in the right place at the right time...or perhaps that should be, found him not in the wrong places at the wrong times. Truly remarkable.
If you enjoy biography's, and especially biography's of true wartime heroes this is a definite "must read."
Purely on a personal note, I found the epilogue, written by Johnny Johnson's son, truly moving and one of the loveliest tributes written to a parent that I have ever read.
I somehow have a feeling that the world may be a better place if there existed a few more people like this father and son team.

Blood on Snow
Blood on Snow
by Jo Nesbo

3.0 out of 5 stars A Short-Story not a Novel., 10 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Blood on Snow (Hardcover)
Well, well, I never thought that I would give a Jo Nesbo book a 3-star review but I guess there must always be a first time!
Firstly I was quite shocked at both the physical size of this book - it is very thin for a novel - and then even more surprised at the size of the font used - huge!!
I honestly would not class this as a novel - although I profess I do not know the exact definition! - it is more of a short-story...
I wonder if the publishing house have been pressuring Nesbo for a new manuscript to publish and he has just thrown this together to appease them or if it was just an idea of a story bouncing around in Nesbo's mind that really had no more breadth to it than has been put down here? Either way I do feel a little short-changed.
I am a huge fan of Nesbo, the Harry Hole series of novels are without doubt the best 'series' of books I have ever had the pleasure to read; I feel I have spent so much time with the guy (Hole) that he is a personal acquaintance of mine!
But, Blood on Snow; the story has the same twists and turns and gravely elements of desperation and depravity that Nesbo is so good at drawing your imagination into. BUT, this book lacks any depth to the story, it is - for a novel - rushed and there is no real 'build' to any crescendos. However, if this WAS written as a Short Story and not a Novel, then I guess this can be forgiven; I just wasn't expecting it to be a short story!
In saying all of this it is a reasonable read; an easy read that does not require much concentration or focus and would be worth stuffing into your bag (or Kindle) for a holiday read. Just don't expect a usual Nesbo bombshell.

Give us some more 'Harry', Jo. There is still more mileage to be had and you are far too good a novelist to bang out mediocre books like this.

Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
by Sgt. Dan Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read. Highly recommended., 10 Jun. 2015
This is, quite simply, a great read.
I have read quite a few of these 'front line' biographies and they can be a bit hit and miss, whether because of bad story telling or simply because of being too gung-ho. This is neither. It kept me turning the pages and portrayed a massive sense of being right there with the guys.
I really did enjoy this book and send praise to the author for portraying this story in a very down-to-earth, non-sensationalised yet continually stimulating manner. The pace of the manuscript was well controlled, although it must be said you are not let off the edge of your seat very often!
Highly recommended, but don't expect to be able to put the book down once you begin reading.
Now you have left the service, Mr. Mills I think you may well have another career awaiting you; author.
Thanks for sharing your experiences; top marks!

Men's Wool Black Trilby Fedora Hat
Men's Wool Black Trilby Fedora Hat
Offered by The Hat Outlet

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended. Great value for money., 22 April 2015
This is a great product.
Very nicely made for the price.
Very good value for money.
Very good, quick and efficient service.
Recommended.