Profile for Lydia C. Savage > Reviews

Lydia C. Savage (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft and warm but not too wintery-looking, 7 April 2013
It's been a very cold spring where I live and I am getting fed up with Christmassy-looking flannel PJ's. This does the trick. The material is soft and warm and incidentally seems rather durable. My only objection is that it is on the large side for the size even after washing. That is fine for me as I can wear another layer underneath. I look forward to wearing the top as a bed-jacket with lighter stuff when and if the weather warms up.

Omron HJ-203 Pedometer with Activity Tracker - Purple
Omron HJ-203 Pedometer with Activity Tracker - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential equipment, 7 April 2013
I bought this as part of a fitness regime. Having used clip-on pedometers in the past, I was getting widely differing readings for the same activities. I hang the monitor as recommended at the front of my clothing or around my neck. The difference is gratifying. 10 k steps is now within my grasp. It may be inaccurate but who cares- it's the same pedometer many fitness writers and instructors use, so we are all in the same league.

When You Pray
When You Pray
by Joanna Collicutt McGrath

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 7 April 2013
This review is from: When You Pray (Paperback)
This book is the 2013 BRF Lent Book, and it is an excellent choice. The readings, which are intended to be used through the six weeks of Lent, are drawn from many books of the Bible and the reflections on them are concise and stimulating. The author uses a modicum of anecdote- just the right touch. Because the book is a sequence of meditations on the Lord's Prayer, it is suitable for all times of year. I would recommend this book for new Christians. It could also be used in Groups.

Docs To Go - Free Office Suite
Docs To Go - Free Office Suite

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Mar. 2013
I live in the UK and the product can't be registered in this location. I wish they had made this clear in the blurb before I ordered it.

Kings and Queens of England
Kings and Queens of England
by Eleanor Farjeon

5.0 out of 5 stars No home should be without one. Anywhere., 17 Mar. 2013
These poems were written for school-age children but like all good verse are entertaining and instructive for grown-ups. Many phrases became part of the language eg "Sign sign sign they said, ...or resign instead", which I have overheard muttered in many a meeting. I was brought up with this book; I grew up in the USA and it was a present from grateful English friends who my family send care packages to during the war, and for over 20 years this was all I knew about English History! Now I've been living in England for 40 years I read it to my grandchildren. This copy was bought to replace an older one-th paperback version which was a disappointment. It's a reprint hardback and an excellent one. The colours are more garish than the original editions but the illustrations are just as quirky and fascinating as ever. Ideal Christmas present for young fans of Horrible Histories.

ScreenDim Full
ScreenDim Full

4.0 out of 5 stars Energy-saving, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: ScreenDim Full (App)
I got into a panic when I found I couldn't dim my Kindle Fire in different conditions. I couldn't find the control for brightness (there were no helpful instructions on line available) and I needed to be able to read at night during a spell of illness without upsetting my husband. This app wasn't too expensive and enabled me to control the brightness and the definition. This worked out well after a bumpy patch of trial and error. Then I accidentally worked out how to adjust the brightness from the page-top menu. In fact, I still use the app because it's more convenient for me to have a set of bespoke settings for different light conditions. I estimate that with the lowest setting I can increase intervals between recharge for up to a week.

Greatest Works of the Brontė Sisters: Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Agnes Grey, The Professor, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Shirley & Villette

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay so far, 17 Mar. 2013
This is quite a mammoth amount of literature, and I really only bought it for Villette. Disappointingly it hasn't got notes but I can look up stuff later using the highlighting and note function.

When reading compilations in Kindle it's easy to loose your place. The index on this book only gives you chapter numbers not chapter titles which makes it harder. So a bookmark is essential, or else a note where you finish your reading session.

I love all these novels and was pleased to acquire-along with Villette- The Tenant of Wildfall Hall and some of the more obscure novels. I'll be coming back to this one again and again.

Liberon SFW25L 2.5L Stone Floor Wax
Liberon SFW25L 2.5L Stone Floor Wax

5.0 out of 5 stars The wax you need for flagstones, 17 Mar. 2013
I got this product to use on the flagstones in my hall and kitchen. It works perfectly, buffs to a silken shine, is not slippery and is very durable. This is the best wax for this purpose I have used since they stopped making Furmoto. A must-have.

Citizens of London: The Americans Who Stood with Britain in Its Darkest, Finest Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Important read, 29 Jan. 2013
How many people knew how close these three individuals were to the Churchills and many of the most important individuals in wartime London? There is a new discovery on every page, even if you know Churchill's account of the period. Olsen's style isn't for everyone (too many contractions) but she does seem to have worked from primary sources. She is able to outline the great mistrust of the British among influential Americans; a history of that would be worth a whole other book. This period of history should be fresh in our minds as we teeter on the brink of losing that special relationship status which dates from this time. A very readable history, and just about the right length. (under 400 pp of text).

Peter Bellamy Sings The Barrack Room Ballads Of Rudyard Kipling
Peter Bellamy Sings The Barrack Room Ballads Of Rudyard Kipling

5.0 out of 5 stars What a project!, 29 Jan. 2013
To read all the barrack room ballads would be enough, but to set them to traditional tunes and arrange them is incredible. Bellamy is not a singer to everyone's taste, but his sincere, often tongue in cheek delivery here is wonderful. I particularly love "Tommy" and "Road to Mandalay" but as an album it is a window on the life of the soldier of the late C19. My only problem with Bellamy (who was not a lefty folkie by any means) is that he is the favourite folk artist of some people far to the right of the political spectrum. But this needn't detract from our enjoyment of him today.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2014 10:27 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11