Profile for pete melvets > Reviews

Content by pete melvets

pete melvets "pete melvets" (cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Mods Vs Rockers
Mods Vs Rockers
Price: 5.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay if you're a mocker! Multiple Personality Disorder Records Ltd., 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Mods Vs Rockers (Audio CD)
What a cash-in! If you're a mod you're going to have all this stuff anyway - it's all pretty mainstream - and the same applies if you were a rock 'n' roll fan. I really don't know who would buy this. There's umpteen 'mod' collections and rock 'n' roll collections available anyway.
There was an album that came out in about 1980, cashing in on the 'mod revival' and the era of the subculture in general, called 'Mods and Rockers' which depicted a mod and a rocker on the cover (the mod was better dressed too). All it was was a Chuck Berry collection, the point being that both mods and rockers liked Chuck Berry. I know mods who like Bo Diddley, Teds who like the Ronettes, and there may well be an old New Romantic lurking around somewhere who likes Black Sabbath for all I know.
You could have some good collections though: Northern Soul v Death Metal, Brotherhood of Man v the Sex Pistols, Wham v the Cockney Rejects, Black Lace v Sun Ra (that would be like being tortured by the KGB), Bob Marley v Skrewdriver, the permutations are endless - Phil Collins and Billy Bragg trapped in a lift together!Or Keith Moon and Cliff Richard get locked in a pub!

Greatest Ever Mod
Greatest Ever Mod
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars amended, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Greatest Ever Mod (Audio CD)
I started reviewing some other collection but my computer was sticking and freezing and I ended up being derogatory about this collection.Freda Payne's 'Band of Gold' was released in 1970 when Mod had pretty well turned up its toes. I don't know about anyone ese but in 1979/early '80s the Specials, the Beat, and Madness were not considered part of the mod movement and they weren't 'cool' - too mainstream or too skinhead - and were in the province of little herberts who ran around in black Harringtons festooned with black and white 2-Tone badges.

The other songs are okay but they're very common - nothing out of the ordinary - and they've got that bloody 'Do I love You' on it! if yoou wanted to clear the floor (except at a scooter rally) stick that one on!

But having said all that, this is a damn good little collection, even with Timebox's version of 'Begging', and good value for money indeed. These songs are all pretty well-known in mod circles and I have most of them anyway, but this is a nice, handy little box set to have.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2014 2:30 PM BST

Flashman on the March (The Flashman Papers, Book 11)
Flashman on the March (The Flashman Papers, Book 11)
by George MacDonald Fraser
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars There will never be another Flashman story!!! Bayete Flashman!, 16 April 2014
I love Flashman and read his adventures over and over again, fully concurring with PG Wodehouse's 'Watcher in the sky' verdict after the 1st one was published. This is a terrific read, as good as any of the others, and boy! didn't GMF know his history? So well read.
Funny thing the number 12: 12 Apostles, 12 inches to a foot, 12 months in a year, 12 bars in the blues, 12 gods in the Pantheon, 12 signs of the zodiac - and now 12 Flashman novels.
There will never be another Flashman story for who could write like GMF? I was quite bereft (as Elspeth would say) when he kicked the bucket. I will never find out what Flashy did in the American Civil War, nor will I learn of his Foreign Legion experiences,nor when he held the shotgun the time Hickock confronted Hardin, nor his account of the Boxer Rebellion, and neither of the Franco/Prussian nonsense and where the hell is the Fly River Country! I wish I could write like him and I would have a go, but I can't. Bayete Flashman!

Conquest
Conquest
by Stewart Binns
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars reconciled me to toothache, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Conquest (Paperback)
I got about as far as where the new age hippy is lecturing the pope before I fell asleep. You don't need Mogadon with this book, folks!
Hereward, one of the great heroes of England, is portrayed as Conan the Barbarian, but the book isn't as well written or as much fun as the Conan stories.
Basically Mr Binns has sexed up Kingsley's Hereward the Wake novel from the 19th century - lashings of ultra-violence and a bit of the old in out, but he can't write as well. I bet in a 100 years time you'll still be able to get hold of Charles Kingsley's works but I doubt very much that you'll be able to find this one.
And why is it boring, turgid books like this are always about two inches thick?
Granted, nothing much is known about Hereward, but we know a fair bit about the period in general. Did they really have massive double-headed battleaxes in the 11th Century, and did Welsh warriors (who were Christians a long time before the Anglo-Saxons) really carry the severed heads of their enemies on their saddles? I might be wrong but I thought that was something that happened hundreds of years before.
No offence to Mr Binns - we've all got to make a living, and no offence to those that enjoyed this book, and I'm sure in other respects they adjust well to life - but I didn't like this book although I'm interested in this period of history. I don't think it's very well written and it didn't hold my attention.

Going Back Home [VINYL]
Going Back Home [VINYL]
Price: 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars What a rip off!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Going Back Home [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Good album from two members of two of the best bands ever and a fantastic goodbye from the great Wilko Johnson BUT THIRTY QUID for an album!!!??? You got to be joking!! That's BONKERS! THIRTY QUID!!??
Greedy b******s! (The record company I mean, not the band).
Bourgeois pigs need putting up against a wall and shooting with Peters & Lee records fired from a clay pigeon slinger-thingamejig! Pah!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 11:11 AM BST

Robin Hood (2010)
Robin Hood (2010)
Dvd ~ Cate Blanchett
Offered by VECOSELL
Price: 5.94

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't decide if this is worse than 'Troy' but it's certainly as bad!!!, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Robin Hood (2010) (DVD)
What a turkey this film is! You can't hear anything the actors say as they mumble and mutter and the colours in the film are muddy and boring. There's some awful, dreary hippy-type folk music warbling on throughout and it's all so mind-numbingly boring I can't remember any of it. I would have left the cinema if I'd seen it there.
Robin Hood is a fantasy of a Merrie Englande that never was. The only film that ever got close to the myth of Robin Hood was the 1930s masterpiece with Flynn, Rathbone, Rains et al with colours like rich velvet and the probably the best good against evil sword fight ever filmed AND you had properly trained actors who spoke so that you could hear them who also had that undefinable thing called STYLE. Poor old Russell just looks like a bouncer in a 'Walkabout' bar in comparison.
This is worse than the Kevin Costner effort - at least that was tongue-in-cheek.
This could have been worse - it could have had Mel Gibson in it, I suppose. Actually that could be interesting given Mel's anti-Anglo views - an anti-English English hero.

North West Frontier [1959] [DVD]
North West Frontier [1959] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenneth More
Price: 3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars a snapshot of the British Empire - a 'steam 'Stagecoach', 19 Mar 2014
Great film, action packed and exciting with an excellent cast. More is ideally cast as he had the cheery truculence that characterised that type of Imperial Britisher (John Mills and Trevor Howard were pretty good at it too). The great IS Jahore is the Indian engine driver whose performance has caused great distress to some critics, describing it as a 'disgraceful caricature'.
I think some of these critics close their eyes and minds to the truth - if certain things don't fit in with their conception of what is right then they are whitewashed out of history, just like Stalin etc would do. Whether you approve of it or not, the Raj did exist, and there were characters like this in abundance.
This is a good film and should be enjoyed on its own merits. Would also be of interest to anybody studying Anglo/Indian history of that period. The film was set in 1905.
Only one question - what was a Hindu prince doing up in Northwest India?

G.H.BASS Larkin Burgundy Loafer
G.H.BASS Larkin Burgundy Loafer
Offered by Chipmunks
Price: 49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Eccentric sizings, 20 Feb 2014
I have a pair of these which I found in TK Maxx for 11 - ELEVEN POUNDS! They were in the size 10s - I take a size 8 in English sizes, sometimes a 9, but never a 10. However, I tried these on and they fitted well. I also have a pair of Bass Weejun black penny loafers - exactly the same thing - they're 10s and yet fit me well (they however cost me the princely sum of 30 - again from TK Maxx).
This makes me think that is why these shoes were so cheap - too small for anyone with size 10 feet and the shop obviously thought they couldn't sell them.
If you're buying these it might be worth going up a size or two as they could be from a funny batch and you could be onto a bargain because these normally go for about 100.
These are quality lightweight loafers which are very comfortable and smart. I personally don't think they look right with a suit (mmm maybe a light cotton or linen one?) but great as smart casual wear. These are light weight shoes, ideal for the summer. If you want a heavier, more 'rude boy' loafer, I think you should try something like Loakes Brighton loafer, or the Ikon Selcter loafer.

Loake Made in England Skin Mod Leather Long Wing Royal Brogue Shoe Burgundy
Loake Made in England Skin Mod Leather Long Wing Royal Brogue Shoe Burgundy
Offered by Adaptor Clothing
Price: 154.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loakes Royals, 19 Feb 2014
Did mods wear these in the 60s? I thought Loakes didn't start making Royals until the 70s but I might be wrong. I've always associated them with skinheads and suedeheads rather than mods though I know mods wear them nowadays, but lots of the styles have blurred and merged into each other.
Whatever! These shoes are worth every penny - very well built and truly elegant, also very comfortable. Look good with a suit or smart trousers but also go well with jeans or sta prest.
Nice heavy sole which would be ideal for kicking Paolo Hewitt's pants for making half-baked comments about things he knows nothing about. For an authentic early 70s look you could match your shoe laces with your socks, often according to your football team - or not as you prefer.
Why are long wing brogues known as Royals? Is it something to do with Edward VIII? I read somewhere it's because HRH Prince Phillip wears them. I can just see him tapping his brogues to Liquidator in the terraces. Given his naval background he could be a Pompey or an Argyle fan but hopefully not both because that would make him schizophrenic.
Americans call this style of brogue 'English', whereas in Britain they are often called 'American brogues'.
By the way they're 140 from Jump The Gun, if you're interested.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2014 3:05 PM BST

The Vikings [DVD] [1958]
The Vikings [DVD] [1958]
Dvd ~ Kirk Douglas
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Best viking film ever made, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Vikings [DVD] [1958] (DVD)
What a smashing film - pure escapism, good yarn loosely based on the story of Ragnar Lodbrok (who was thrown in a pit of adders rather than wolves).
Love Kirk Douglas' false eye but Tony Curtis' miniskirt is a bit unnerving. These two are basically the same characters as in 'Spartacus' but with Norse names rather than Latin but what's wrong with that?
The Viking costumes, armour, buildings, ships, weapons etc are pretty spot on but the English!!??? 9th century English and Norse civilisation was very similar, and there weren't many differences between their armour, weapons, ships, and buildings. There would NOT have been a 14 century castle in Northumbria, the English soldiers were wearing armour and carrying shields more appropriate to the 12th or 13th century, and the English ship is also centuries too late. At least they didn't put horns on the Vikings'helmets.
As long as you bear this in mind, this is a great film which knocks the spots off more contemporary 'historics' such as 'Braveheart', 'Gladiator', and that thing about the crusades.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7