Profile for pete melvets > Reviews

Content by pete melvets

pete melvets "pete melvets" (cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Robin Hood (2010)
Robin Hood (2010)
Dvd ~ Cate Blanchett
Offered by VECOSELL

1.0 out of 5 stars I can't decide if this is worse than 'Troy' but it's certainly as bad!!!, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Robin Hood (2010) (DVD)
What a turkey this film is! You can't hear anything the actors say as they mumble and mutter and the colours in the film are muddy and boring. There's some awful, dreary hippy-type folk music warbling on throughout and it's all so mind-numbingly boring I can't remember any of it. I would have left the cinema if I'd seen it there.
Robin Hood is a fantasy of a Merrie Englande that never was. The only film that ever got close to the myth of Robin Hood was the 1930s masterpiece with Flynn, Rathbone, Rains et al with colours like rich velvet and the probably the best good against evil sword fight ever filmed AND you had properly trained actors who spoke so that you could hear them who also had that undefinable thing called STYLE. Poor old Russell just looks like a bouncer in a 'Walkabout' bar in comparison.
This is worse than the Kevin Costner effort - at least that was tongue-in-cheek.
This could have been worse - it could have had Mel Gibson in it, I suppose. Actually that could be interesting given Mel's anti-Anglo views - an anti-English English hero.

North West Frontier [1959] [DVD]
North West Frontier [1959] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenneth More

5.0 out of 5 stars a snapshot of the British Empire - a 'steam 'Stagecoach', 19 Mar. 2014
Great film, action packed and exciting with an excellent cast. More is ideally cast as he had the cheery truculence that characterised that type of Imperial Britisher (John Mills and Trevor Howard were pretty good at it too). The great IS Jahore is the Indian engine driver whose performance has caused great distress to some critics, describing it as a 'disgraceful caricature'.
I think some of these critics close their eyes and minds to the truth - if certain things don't fit in with their conception of what is right then they are whitewashed out of history, just like Stalin etc would do. Whether you approve of it or not, the Raj did exist, and there were characters like this in abundance.
This is a good film and should be enjoyed on its own merits. Would also be of interest to anybody studying Anglo/Indian history of that period. The film was set in 1905.
Only one question - what was a Hindu prince doing up in Northwest India?

G.H.BASS Burgundy Larkin Loafer (US 11, Burgundy)
G.H.BASS Burgundy Larkin Loafer (US 11, Burgundy)
Offered by Chipmunks

5.0 out of 5 stars Eccentric sizings, 20 Feb. 2014
I have a pair of these which I found in TK Maxx for £11 - ELEVEN POUNDS! They were in the size 10s - I take a size 8 in English sizes, sometimes a 9, but never a 10. However, I tried these on and they fitted well. I also have a pair of Bass Weejun black penny loafers - exactly the same thing - they're 10s and yet fit me well (they however cost me the princely sum of £30 - again from TK Maxx).
This makes me think that is why these shoes were so cheap - too small for anyone with size 10 feet and the shop obviously thought they couldn't sell them.
If you're buying these it might be worth going up a size or two as they could be from a funny batch and you could be onto a bargain because these normally go for about £100.
These are quality lightweight loafers which are very comfortable and smart. I personally don't think they look right with a suit (mmm maybe a light cotton or linen one?) but great as smart casual wear. These are light weight shoes, ideal for the summer. If you want a heavier, more 'rude boy' loafer, I think you should try something like Loakes Brighton loafer, or the Ikon Selcter loafer.

Loake Made in England Skin Mod Leather Long Wing Royal Brogue Shoe Burgundy
Loake Made in England Skin Mod Leather Long Wing Royal Brogue Shoe Burgundy
Offered by Adaptor Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Loakes Royals, 19 Feb. 2014
Did mods wear these in the 60s? I thought Loakes didn't start making Royals until the 70s but I might be wrong. I've always associated them with skinheads and suedeheads rather than mods though I know mods wear them nowadays, but lots of the styles have blurred and merged into each other.
Whatever! These shoes are worth every penny - very well built and truly elegant, also very comfortable. Look good with a suit or smart trousers but also go well with jeans or sta prest.
Nice heavy sole which would be ideal for kicking Paolo Hewitt's pants for making half-baked comments about things he knows nothing about. For an authentic early 70s look you could match your shoe laces with your socks, often according to your football team - or not as you prefer.
Why are long wing brogues known as Royals? Is it something to do with Edward VIII? I read somewhere it's because HRH Prince Phillip wears them. I can just see him tapping his brogues to Liquidator in the terraces. Given his naval background he could be a Pompey or an Argyle fan but hopefully not both because that would make him schizophrenic.
Americans call this style of brogue 'English', whereas in Britain they are often called 'American brogues'.
By the way they're £140 from Jump The Gun, if you're interested.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2014 3:05 PM BST

The Vikings [DVD] [1958]
The Vikings [DVD] [1958]
Dvd ~ Kirk Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Best viking film ever made, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Vikings [DVD] [1958] (DVD)
What a smashing film - pure escapism, good yarn loosely based on the story of Ragnar Lodbrok (who was thrown in a pit of adders rather than wolves).
Love Kirk Douglas' false eye but Tony Curtis' miniskirt is a bit unnerving. These two are basically the same characters as in 'Spartacus' but with Norse names rather than Latin but what's wrong with that?
The Viking costumes, armour, buildings, ships, weapons etc are pretty spot on but the English!!??? 9th century English and Norse civilisation was very similar, and there weren't many differences between their armour, weapons, ships, and buildings. There would NOT have been a 14 century castle in Northumbria, the English soldiers were wearing armour and carrying shields more appropriate to the 12th or 13th century, and the English ship is also centuries too late. At least they didn't put horns on the Vikings'helmets.
As long as you bear this in mind, this is a great film which knocks the spots off more contemporary 'historics' such as 'Braveheart', 'Gladiator', and that thing about the crusades.

Ikon Original All leather Classic Brogues in Tan Oxblood and Black Free Postage
Ikon Original All leather Classic Brogues in Tan Oxblood and Black Free Postage
Offered by Mazeys Mod Clothing

2.0 out of 5 stars Mutton Dressed As Lamb - Fake Royals, 8 Nov. 2013
I have a pair of Ikon desert boots and a pair of Ikon loafers, both of which I consider good value for money. I can't say the same of these - you might as well get a pair from Next.
I didn't get these from Amazon, by the way, but from Shuperb (or something) - £10 cheaper, good service.
Firstly, the boots and the loafers are size 8, so accordingly I bought a pair of size 8 brogues. Too small - too big a gap where you lace up, so a 9 would've been better. That's no big deal and easily fixed - just change them, you say - but I shan't because I don't like them.
The toes are big and bulbous, and stick up, and they haven't got the elegant shape of the Loakes Royal. The sole underneath the toecap bit doesn't touch the floor when you stand up.
The colour is nice(oxblood)but too shiny, lacking that lustre and depth you get with better quality shoes - you know, that creamy, buttery glow. I don't think these will age well.
The leather feels stiff and less supple than a more expensive shoe, although I think the leather on the Ikon loafer was of good quality, but they're several years old and maybe the quality of Ikon's leather has deteriorated since I bought the loafers. These are about the same quality as Samuel Windsors' and have that same 'plastic' shine to them.
These cannot compare with the Loakes Royals BUT they are less than half the price but they're not a very good imitation and would stand out as poor man's Loakes/Timpsons/Church's etc like a Primark suit in Savile Row.
I'm not a snob and wearing ersatz Royals doesn't bother me. At that price I'd gladly put up with the shiny, cheap look - I'd just wear them to death (not for best)BUT I don't like the clumsy look of the toecap and the way they stick up which seems to be the trend with contemporary shoes. I think Delicious Junction do a slightly more expensive but better imitation Royal.
Sorry, Ikon, don't like them.

London 1964 [VINYL]
London 1964 [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Bran tub. Could be anything., 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: London 1964 [VINYL] (Vinyl)
No pictures. No track details. Nothing. How do they expect to sell it?
Assuming this is the Who in another life. Would be interesting to see what's actually on this record and to have some info on it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 5:23 PM GMT

The Wild Wild World of the "Cramps"
The Wild Wild World of the "Cramps"
by Ian Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars a delight for any cramps fan, 4 Sept. 2013
I bought this in 1991, thank The Lord!! Look at the prices demanded now (quite tempted to sell my copy!!)
Great potted history of the Cramps, complete with some good photos, up to the 'Stay Sick' period.
Of particular interest is the song and film recommendations given by Lux, Ivy (and one or two by Nick) of their favourite songs and films. These were pretty indispensable then because it was pre-internet and You Tube. Also there were no collections out then of songs covered by the Cramps, so these playlists were very handy in tracking down some of these obscure gems that the Cramps had unearthed.
I paid about ten quid for this book. I can't believe what it's worth now - must look after my copy.

Fiends Of Dope Island
Fiends Of Dope Island
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cramps Last Album is for established fans only, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Fiends Of Dope Island (Audio CD)
The Cramps were/are one of my favourite bands and were AWESOME live. I don't think I've ever seen a better band.
I think their best recordings were their early ones and would rate Psychedelic Jungle as them at their peak. This is my subjective opinion.
This and Look Mom No Head are my least favourite Cramps albums but they're still leagues ahead of anything that was produced at the same time.
It's got its moments but it's not as good as Psychedelic Jungle or Songs the Lord Taught Us or Off The Bone/Bad Music For Bad People but what could be?
If you've never heard the Cramps try one of the above albums first. If you're already Cramped you would've ordered Fiends of Dope island before it was even released (thank the Mad Daddy I did! Look at the price of this now!!!! Outrageous!).
I saw the Cramps last gig in the Astoria. They were stunningly good. Thankfully they didn't play too much of Fiends which had just been released, but a lot of their back catalogue, which is what everyone wanted anyway.
RIP Lux.

Looking Good - 75 Femme Mod Soul Nuggets
Looking Good - 75 Femme Mod Soul Nuggets
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Too 'northern soully' for me, 28 Aug. 2013
Some very rare tracks here making this collection ideal for a fan of the Northern Soul end of the mod music spectrum.
If that's what you like this is pretty indispensable and a very good price. I don't dislike this type of music but it's not my favourite - I prefer my R&B a bit more raw. 75 tracks is too much for me too - I'd never listen to all of them.
Other reviewers reckon the girl on the front is Millie (My Boy Lollipop - big ska hit). I wouldn't know without looking her up, but I take their word for it. Odd they use her pic but don't include anything by her, and she was a ska artiste too. Bit like putting a picture of Otis Redding or someone on the cover of a Best of Ska album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2014 10:37 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8